• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Plasma TV is dead?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad really, I still think Plasma is the better technology compared to LCD.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/hometech/is-plasma-tv-dead-20120514-1ym2d.html

Is Plasma TV dead?
Peter Pachal
May 14, 2012 - 12:37PM
Read laterVote

Plasma TVs have fallen out of favour and Panasonic is being hit the hardest. Photo: AP
This post was originally published on Mashable.

Panasonic, one of the last major TV manufacturers to champion plasma TVs, is now probably regretting that decision. The company just posted a $US10 billion loss for the year, and one of its biggest losers is the plasma TV category, where sales fell way short of expectations.

Plasma TV sales only hit about 59 per cent of what the company had predicted. Revenue on Panasonic's balance sheet from plasma sets was $US3.5 billion, down from $US6 billion the year before.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Once the hottest kind of TV you could get, the plasma TV has seen tough times in recent years. Many manufacturers (notably, Pioneer) have abandoned the technology, noting a lack of consumer demand. After Panasonic acquired Pioneer's industry-leading plasma tech in 2009, it began a valiant effort to promote and market the advantages of plasma TV. Looking at the numbers today, it clearly hasn't worked.

The question remains: Why has plasma display technology fallen so far out of favor with TV buyers? A combination of factors in the industry and the consumer market have conspired to shut plasma TVs out of showrooms — and consumer living rooms.

"Plasma is a great technology that is suffering," says Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate, a display-analysis company. "It has some advantages over LCDs but also has some disadvantages as well."

On the plus side, plasmas can create much darker blacks, have excellent viewing angles, more accurate color and no motion blur, Soneira says. However, LCDs are much brighter, which can be an advantage in well-lit rooms, which tends to be the case at retail. They also don't weigh as much and consume less power than plasma sets.

Besides those technical details, there's the perception that LCD technology is newer, and therefore superior. It's not — LCD screens had been around for years before the first plasma sets came out, but LCD technology hadn't been adapted for larger displays until the last decade. Big-screen LCDs came to places like Best Buy well after plasma models, though, so to consumers it was the "hot new thing" — a mindset that LCD makers such as Samsung and Sharp were only too happy to aggressively exploit.

As the industry began to shift toward LCD, the technology has improved greatly since its debut, dulling if not altogether nullifying plasma sets' many onscreen advantages. Meanwhile, the manufacturing of panels consolidated around just a few large-scale companies, making LCDs cheaper to produce for everyone.

There was also the dreaded "burn-in" issue, where customers believed watching the same material continuously (like a headline scroll on a news channel) would permanently "burn" the image into a plasma screen. It's a real issue, but it actually takes much longer use than any normal person would watch a single image. In addition, new features on plasma sets all but eliminate the problem. Still, burn-in got a lot of press, and the damage was done.

Finally, there's the simple fact that people don't buy TVs that often. At this point, pretty much everyone who was going to buy an HDTV has done so, and novel technologies like 3D aren't doing much to convince consumers to upgrade again. Even Panasonic's LCD numbers fell about 30 per cent short of expectations, and the size of the TV market has been shrinking from a peak of 35 million sets sold in 2009, according to the Consumer Electronics Association. There's clearly a general cooling of the TV market in general.

However, the falling demand for TVs has hit plasma particularly hard.

It's a shame, because even though LCD tech has shown a lot of improvement, plasma displays have inherent advantages, primarily because the tech doesn't require a backlight — unlike LCDs, which twist crystals in individual pixels to affect the light passing through, plasma pixels illuminate themselves. Before Pioneer stopped making plasma TVs, it had demonstrated models with theoretically infinite contrast and razor-thin designs, showing off the benefits of a plasma display.

Mashable is the largest independent news source covering digital culture, social media and technology.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/hometech/is-plasma-tv-dead-20120514-1ym2d.html#ixzz1uoa0wLsp

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've taken a look at plasma & I can see fine vertical lines, this is more obvious on larger screens. Whereas on LED TVs I do not see these lines. Isn't this why LED TVs are better:confused:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The so called LED TV nowadays should be termed LED backlit. It means having an LCD screen, with an LED source, versus the more traditional LCD screen with a flourescent tube. LCD, itself, do not produce colour, it requires this backlit of light to shine,block it to create the illusion of colour. While for Plasma, they are using actual noble gases to excite and produce the colour. If you need to look at the difference, ask for the gamut chart for the TV between LCD and Plasma. The fine lines you are talking about is probably due to screen manufacturing. I think LCDs would have these fine lines as well. You need to deliver voltage to the various LCD cells to switch them. Same for Plasma, but they are there to bring the gases to a higher state of excitement.

I've taken a look at plasma & I can see fine vertical lines, this is more obvious on larger screens. Whereas on LED TVs I do not see these lines. Isn't this why LED TVs are better:confused:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johnny333 said:

This is the famous "screen-door" effect of Plasma screens caused by the relatively larger areas of blanking space between pixels compared to the other technology. It is worse than LCD/LED which in turn is worse than DLP. When screen resolutions were 720p, this effect is especially obvious like offset printing compared to film.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
still got companies making plasma mah..................still the best and cheaper than LED now...................

only problem is they don't make smaller plasma...................otherwise i buy one liao lor................

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, the military. Plasma can be rugarized much better then LCDs.

still got companies making plasma mah..................still the best and cheaper than LED now...................

only problem is they don't make smaller plasma...................otherwise i buy one liao lor................

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sigh.................plasma too big for my cabinet...................

now waiting for 32'' LED to drop below 300 bucks................

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
What's on TV is far more important than what sort of technology is used to display the images. I was very happy with my CRT set till the damned broadcasters switched the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is for the better, plasma and lcd/led tv are all superior to CRT today, special the introduction of HDTV.

What's on TV is far more important than what sort of technology is used to display the images. I was very happy with my CRT set till the damned broadcasters switched the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.