• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang By-election later news up date

giantarm

Personally, looking at Desmond Choo, I find so much sincerity in him. His agenda and his emphasis has always been focusing on helping Hougang. I really hope he will be given chance to be MP of hougang.

Singaporeans have shown their confidence to the PAP government by giving PAP 81 seats in parliament. Singaporeans have already shown their preference for alternative voices by giving WP a win in a GRC. To the residents of hougang, it is now important to vote for someone who is determined to work for a better tomorrow for hougang. This importance is something that only Hougang residents can appreciate. It looks like Desmond Choo is a better bet and should be given a chance.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Workers' Party

We thank all the residents and supporters that stayed with us despite the rain, the volunteers who helped us for the night, the media for being with us to bring the latest to the rest of Singapore, and all well-wishers of The Workers' Party!

With your support, we will soldier on with our journey towards a First World Parliament!

silentisgolden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hougang By-election - 22.05.2012 - MP Low Thia Khiang

Low Thia Khiang on NCMP ballot incident
By Imelda Saad | Posted: 22 May 2012 2201 hrs
display_image.php
Photos 1 of 2<input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" type="image" width="19"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18">

<tbody>
</tbody>
dotline_240.gif

Workers' Party members at the rally including Sylvia Lim (R), Png Eng Huat (second-right) and Low Thia Khiang (third-right) were drenched when the skies opened up during the rally. (photo by channelnewsasia.com's Hester Tan)
Related News
shim.gif
shim.gif
Video
shim.gif
phpuSrNDM.jpg

Low Thia Khiang on NCMP ballot incident

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
shim.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

inShare​

<tbody> </tbody>

SINGAPORE: The Workers' Party (WP) Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang has urged voters not to be distracted by recent events.

Mr Low said they were made to "intentionally damage the party" and "sabotage" its candidate for the Hougang by-election Png Eng Huat.

Mr Low was speaking on Tuesday evening at the party's second rally for the by-election.

Mr Low confirmed that the leaked minutes of WP meeting to decide on the post of the Non-Constituency MP are genuine.

Mr Low said he does not want to speculate how anonymous sources obtained the minutes.

But he also confirmed what Mr Png has said about not being interested in the NCMP post.

Producing the NCMP ballot paper on stage, Mr Low said all the names of the East Coast GRC team members were considered for the post.

"This is the ballot which I prepared, with all the names of the team on the ballot paper. Png Eng Huat had told me before and after the General Election that he was strongly against the NCMP scheme and had not wanted to be considered for the NCMP position, just as Eric Tan had told me of his desire to be NCMP. However I still listed the names of the whole East Coast GRC team, because they were all part of the team."

He added that even though Mr Png had said he did not want to be considered, the selection lay solely with the Central Executive Committee (CEC).

Mr Png had one vote to his name.

Mr Low said this shows that the party functions on a collective leadership.

"In fact, I would invite all of you to take a look at the minutes (of the meeting to decide on the NCMP post). It shows that the Workers' Party functions in a fair and transparent manner where decisions are made collectively. In addition, it also dispels rumours that the CEC is made up of all 'yes' men and women or even fully controlled by Low Thia Khiang. In this case, the CEC was not unanimous in its decision," said Mr Low.

"Png Eng Huat had previously stated his position on NCMP to me and some other members of of the CEC but he still got one vote; the majority voted for Gerald Giam. When the voting result was concluded, only Eric Tan decided to resign; the other members stayed united on course with the Workers' Party. This shows that the Workers' Party is a credible party and can embrace different opinions while working together as a team and moving forward," added Mr Low.

The WP secretary-general said he stands by what he said when he introduced Mr Png as a man of integrity.

Speaking at the same rally, WP chairman Sylvia Lim also backed Mr Png. She said that if Mr Png is elected as an MP, she will appoint him as vice-chairman of the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council.

Mr Png took the opportunity to list out his plans for Hougang residents if he is elected. They include improving the estate maintenance and community events for youths.

The next Workers' Party rally is expected on Thursday, a day before the Cooling-off Day when no campaigning is allowed.

- CNA/ir

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I watched the video on Channelnewsasia, and my comments are:
1. Mr. Png Eng Huat was pretty good, except that he may wish to number his papers for quick access, in order to reduce the down time or pause;
2. I found Ms. Sylvia Lim's rather neutral accent more pleasing to my ears, and that she is an effective speaker; and
3. That the various projects undertaken and completed by the Hougang Town Council using its own funds, as very prudent, notwithstanding the lack of support by the Hougang CCC and the HDB.

Keep up the Good Work, Workers' Party.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
saw her speech and think she was good as well. gerald needs to engage the crowd more as it felt more like listening to a teacher's lecture than a political rally.

as for the underhand method/obstacles pap put up in hougang:mad: fuck them. hougang people pay tax too. they shdnt be targeted just because they voted for the party they like. credit to wp for not giving up on the improvement works depsite not getting any funding from pap. they could just opt for the easy way out and tell the hougang people they cannot do anything without pap support/fund but they did not. they did it their own way and can held their head high.

I did not watch the video pertaining to the other speakers. May be I will watch DC to see how good he is. But based on watching an earlier video of his speech after the nomination, with respect to the others, I believe that DC is fluently bilingual, good command of both languages, good pronounciation, intonation, accent and diction.

It is my respectful view, that all would be politicians should consider taking public speaking lessons, and practice and practice speaking at home or in front of a few critical friends. Speak slower, and put in some gusto and feelings, and avoid reading.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I watched the video of TCH's speech.
TCH seems very good, and his pronounciation and diction is very good.
The little Mandarin he used during his speech in English, is also good.

However, I disagree with his argument / allegation that the WP did not deal decisively and transparently with YSL, because, with respect, in the past, the PAP may not realize and did not deal with the then Speaker of the Parliament (Dr. YGS), who had a child with another lady while he was married. Apparently, this information only came to light when FTS, in response to LKY's allegation that FTS was seen walking hand in hand with a lady, who was not his wife, across High Street. FTS admitted it, and even said that he has nothing to hide or something to the effect that his life is open book, whereas one member of PAP (re: Dr. YGS) is better than FTS.
With respect, I submit that PAP's handling and/or steps taken re: Dr. YGS is less decisive and less transparent the the WP.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CAUTION: I am not a member of any political party, and neither am I endorsing any of the two candidates.

After I watched the video of DC's speech in English, based solely on that speech and also analyzing the two candidates, in my respectful view, I believe that DC speaks much better, as well as smarter and have a better command of English (and probably Mandarin).
In addition, DC is also younger, has better training and most probably a broader work experience.

Hopefully, the PAP will move him to another constituency, to harness his abilities and capabilities in the next GE.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even if his tour of duty (assuming that he was a scholar, and thus, short tours of duty everywhere or at various departments) at the various departments and entities are short, his experience is broad. How many individuals have that privilege. Even if we alleged that he did not obtain sufficiently broad and deep experience, his is still better than a majority of other individuals.
Given a choice, I submit that many individuals in their 30's, 2ould love to have his share of the experience.
I wonder what his last rank with the SPF? SUPT or DAC? Any of you has the answer?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After I watched the video of DC's speech in English, based solely on that speech and also analyzing the two candidates, in my respectful view, I believe that DC speaks much better, as well as smarter and have a better command of English (and probably Mandarin).
In addition, DC is also younger, has better training and most probably a broader work experience.

Hopefully, the PAP will move him to another constituency, to harness his abilities and capabilities in the next GE.

Desmond had more sheltered working experience than broad experience. He no better than the MCYS prick in term of broad experience.

Maybe he do speak better as he need the skill to BS at the rally. I am very sure desmond can do more than ah Huat in term of upgrading but are we choosing an estate manager here or a voice in the parliament. Btw, we who stay in hougang knew the upgrading is an entitlement. It the farkers in pap who deny us our entitlement in the first place. Why should we be thankful to desmond for giving us our entitlements.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Desmond had more sheltered working experience than broad experience. He no better than the MCYS prick in term of broad experience.

Maybe he do speak better as he need the skill to BS at the rally. I am very sure desmond can do more than ah Huat in term of upgrading but are we choosing an estate manager here or a voice in the parliament. Btw, we who stay in hougang knew the upgrading is an entitlement. It the farkers in pap who deny us our entitlement in the first place. Why should we be thankful to desmond for giving us our entitlements.

points noted

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha....bro, u are a real cool & calm gentleman with high tolerance for differences in opinion......
kukubird salutes u.....cheers.

Thank you for your compliments, but in person, I am not as cool and calm as desired.

That individual has several points, and I acknowledged it.