• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang By-election later news up date

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Tan Cheng Bock

Congrats to WP Png Eng Huat.

Tonight my Election Agents were all at my place to watch tne Hougang By-election result.Their assessment of the outcome was accurate and we want to congratulate Png on his victory.
Desmond tried hard but his attempt was distracted and dampened by the NCMP issue. He did reasonably well. He upped his percentage by 2%.The call by LTK to have more opposition in Parliament was very strong and resonated with the voters.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Tan Cheng Bock

A Questionable Donation by Rotary Club

Giving money for a good cause is welcomed but giving money to a politician for a good cause during a political election campaign is venturing into the political arena. By doing this has the Rotary Club taken a new direction? .Is the club taking a position in politics? Is it within the ambit of its constitution? I have always been a supporter of the Rotary Club but I was disappointed by this action.
It was reported in the ST Thursday 24th may 2012, and I quote ST....
“The Rotary Club is pledging a $100,000 gift to PAP candidate Desmond Choo’s initiative to retrofit ageing toilets in Hougang.”... “The club decided to make this donation after watching a video produced by a group named “The People for Desmond Choo” (unquote).

The cause is noble, helping aged people to sit rather than squat, a real problem when you are old. I applaud the Rotarians for that.

However the reason and timing for the donation is misplaced.

Is the Rotary Club giving to an individual PAP Desmond as reported in ST. or to the old residents of Hougang?

Now that PAP Desmond lost to WP Png in the election, what is the Rotary Club’s stand?
Is Rotary going to withhold the donation now that the official Member of Parliament Png Eng Huat is in charge of Hougang and he is from the opposition. I hope not.
Rotary Club should continue the good charitable works as they did in the past.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Tan Cheng Bock

The Press and the New Media.

I can understand Low Thia Khiang’s outburst on the main press media for not being fair to the opposition because my team too felt the coverage of my Presidential election was also biased towards the government choice candidate.
There is nothing that those who opt to differ can do anything about what the main media writes.
So l decided to win support through the alternative media. It was an uphill task for me but l had to do it because I believed in my cause.
My generation is not in touch with the new media because we are not used to telling the world what we do. But the younger generation look to the new media for information.

I learned the hard way but l am grateful to my young supporters for their patience in teaching me the tricks of the trade. I still make mistakes that many who have been following my facebook must have noticed, like double posting etc but l still ploughed on. Sometimes after l finished writing a piece l pushed a wrong key and lost all my hard work and this usually happened in the middle of the night.

Is this new media effective?

In my facebook page there are some numbers revealed to me. I am not sure others are given the figures on their own page.

These are weekly figures, for example
between the week, 22nd and 28th May 2012,

the number of people reached was 46,797
and over the same period Friends of Fans reached was 3,271,294.

As of today 15,348 have read my latest post on 26th May Sat. 4 days ago.

If I had no new media to work with after my post election my connect with the ground will be limited. Today apart from the usual conventional ways, this new media will be my main communication tool for the future.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Non-voters of Hougang by-election can now apply to restore names to registers
By Imelda Saad | Posted: 01 June 2012 1752 hrs

display_image.php
Photos of <input id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" type="image" width="19"><input id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18">

<tbody>
</tbody>
dotline_240.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

inShare1​

<tbody> </tbody>

SINGAPORE: Residents who did not vote in the recent Hougang by-election will need to have their names restored to the Register of Electors.

Otherwise they will lose their eligibility to vote or stand as a candidate at future elections.

Under the Parliamentary Elections Act, the names of eligible voters who failed to vote at the Hougang by-election have been expunged from the Register of Electors of Hougang Constituency.

Non-voters can check if their names have been expunged from the Register from 1 June personally at the Elections Department - original NRIC or passport should be produced for identification purposes - through its website or at the Hougang Community Club.

Non-voters may apply to have their names restored to the Registers of
Electors using one of the following methods:

a) Online application at Elections Department website.
b) Submission of hard copy application form. The hardcopy form can be obtained from the Elections Department or any community centre/club during normal business hours, or downloaded from the Elections Department website.

The duly completed forms should be submitted by post, fax, hand or email to the Registration Officer, Elections Department at 11 Prinsep Link, Singapore 187949, fax number 63362006 and email [email protected].

When applying for their names to be restored, they have to state their reasons for failing to cast their votes.

Valid reasons include - working overseas at the time of the poll, illness or an overseas vacation planned before the polls.

Applicants whose names have been successfully restored to the Registers will receive notification from the Elections Department within a month.

Applicants who do not receive any notification within a month are advised to check their application status via the Elections Department's eServices or contact the Elections Department - call 1800-CALL-ELD (1800-225-5353) or email: [email protected] .

- CNA/ck

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Mr Low Thia Khiang’s letter to Straits Times Forum [/h]
I refer to the Editorial titled “Fallout from the Hougang showdown” (ST, 29 May 2012, p A17).

I share the writer’s view that “anyone who claims to promote the idea of First World democracy should take care to uphold its institutions, including the media.” At the by-election public rally on 24 May, I said that, “The media is a potentially powerful tool for or against certain political parties. Therefore, it is imperative that the media must become a reliable source of information for the people, independent from the strong influence of the government…We must not allow the media to be used by the government as a political tool.”

At the press conference on the night of 26 May, I reiterated that only with an independent media that presents fair and accurate information, could the people make an informed choice of their Member of Parliament.

In the recent campaign, I detected biased reporting, calculated to damage the Workers’ Party candidate and the Party itself. For example, the front page of The Straits Times on 23 May showed a large photo of Party chairman, Sylvia Lim, and myself talking to each other with grim faces at our rally, with the candidate in between, headlined: “WP faces allegations of dishonesty.” This was after the accusations had already been publicly clarified.

The writer is wrong to suggest that I am unhappy because there were adverse reports about WP. I welcome scrutiny of WP, but when images and headlines are manipulated to mislead readers, is it acceptable?
The media also reported unverified news and anonymous opinions. In Lianhe Zaobao yesterday, I cited the front-page report by MY PAPER on 24 May 2012, featuring an email interview with the “Secret Squirrel”, who claimed to be a WP member, attacking WP. I have asked MY PAPER whether they have established and verified the identity of “Secret Squirrel”.

Based on my 30 years’ experience in Singapore politics, I am well aware of the critical role media can play towards a First World democratic society. The recent reportage of the Hougang by-elections leaves me concerned. The media can become a stumbling block to the progress of democracy in Singapore and set us back by 20 years. Whether this is unfounded or not, I leave it to Singaporeans to judge.

Low Thia Khiang

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]MP Png Eng Huat's first meet-the-people session[/h]
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLDi5ptXAlc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLDi5ptXAlc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_q94T9wcps?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_q94T9wcps?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]MP Png Eng Huat's first meet-the-people session[/h]
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLDi5ptXAlc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLDi5ptXAlc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I have never ate HUAT KUEH for a long time, like years. After watching the video, I am itching to try one HUAT KUEH..they all look so fresh like home-made type.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The Rotary Club and that lawyer Subhas Anandan should follow through with their offers to help the residents of HG. Show their support to the people, not just to the PAP.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hougang MP-elect defends company track record
Posted: 05 June 2012 0612 hrs
display_image.php
Photos 1 of 1<input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" type="image" width="19"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18">

<tbody>
</tbody>
dotline_240.gif

Png Eng Huat. (Photo by: Hester Tan, channelnewsasia.com)

<tbody>
</tbody>

inShare1​

<tbody> </tbody>

SINGAPORE: Hougang Member of Parliament-elect Png Eng Huat on Monday defended his business track record, which was questioned by some newspapers last month, in the run-up to the Hougang by-election.

Writing on the Workers' Party website - a post also on the party's Facebook page - Mr Png, 50, cited the headlines used by MyPaper and Lianhe Zaobao in particular, which "not only gave readers an impression that I am an incapable businessman but also an opportunistic person who would not hesitate to set up and wind down companies to maximise profits".

Mr Png pointed out that during his time with NTUC Income, from 1998 to 2001, he was appointed a director in four of the group's companies and one co-operative "by virtue of my work".

He added: "When I left NTUC Income, these four companies were still operational. The four entities are part of the eight companies the newspapers alleged I had closed. I do not own these companies and had no role in their operations long after I left NTUC Income in 2001."

"Of the remaining four companies I was alleged to have shut down, I am in control of only three. The three companies were shut down in an orderly manner and they have no outstanding debt. No one suffered any financial loss as a result of the voluntary winding up action. One of the companies was dormant." - TODAY

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Hougang MP Png forms grassroots committee[/h] [h=2]New Hougang MP's slate of old and new faces busy planning community activities[/h]

By Andrea Ong

Hougang's newly elected MP Png Eng Huat has formed a new grassroots committee, bringing in a refreshed slate of activists who have already started planning community activities for residents.

The 50-year-old, who is into his second week as the ward's MP after winning the by-election on May 26, said on Wednesday that the new 17-strong Hougang Constituency Committee is a mix of old and new faces.

The Workers' Party's (WP) grassroots arm in Hougang was suspended after former MP Yaw Shin Leong was expelled in February.

Mr Png, who had been put in charge of the committee then, remains its chairman in the new line-up. His deputy is WP organising secretary Ng Swee Bee, 31, while the secretary and treasurer is a new face - tutor Janice Ng, 32.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_808098.html