• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any former Singaporean in New Brunswick, Canada?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Moving to Canada?

There is no such thing as "BEST CITY" lah. Everywhere is just different. Got good and bad. Even Singapore has its pros and cons.

It all depends what you want, what your priorities and objectives are.

I'm in Edmonton because my objective was to settle down quickly, get a job fast, and be able to make a living without having to touch my savings as fast as possible. Alberta has one of the strongest economies in Canada (2nd to Saskatchewan), has the lowest tax rates. Edmonton compared to Calgary is more blue collar with more entry level positions, hence easier to get a job. But Edmonton is not a tourist destination (that would be Vancouver), is not a "pretty city" (that would be Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal?) is not one hour's drive from the Rocky Mountains (that would be Calgary).

Good luck in your move.

Last edited:

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moving to Canada?
I'm in Edmonton because my objective was to settle down quickly, get a job fast, and be able to make a living without having to touch my savings as fast as possible. Alberta has one of the strongest economies in Canada (2nd to Saskatchewan), has the lowest tax rates. Edmonton compared to Calgary is more blue collar with more entry level positions, hence easier to get a job. But Edmonton is not a tourist destination (that would be Vancouver), is not a "pretty city" (that would be Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal?) is not one hour's drive from the Rocky Mountains (that would be Calgary).

Good luck in your move.

But Edmonton got the biggest Mall in Canada no?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
But Edmonton got the biggest Mall in Canada no?

Not sure if it is still the biggest but West Ed Mall at one time was the biggest mall in the world! It has roller coasters (triple loop) indoors, water park indoors, pirate ship and seals etc.

I actually like Edmonton. But I didn't want to sound biased. Different people have different objectives. I know some Singaporeans who are very happy in Vancouver too but they retired young and don't have to work.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Oh sam! You are just being hard on them. :biggrin:

I can't help it. I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can ask such inane questions. It's like asking "I would like to buy a shirt. What's the best colour."

If they added just one criteria, it might start to make some sense but not even a single clue regarding what they're looking for is provided. I'm waiting for the 2nd dumbest question to be asked.. "What's the weather like in Canada?".

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
You must understand that is Singapore. Many Singaporeans are like that. It's just like the many patients I have seen when you tell them their diagnosis they say "I don't think so leh". Fair enough we doctors should always find out what the patient's ideas, concerns and expectations are. Then you ask them, so what do you think it might be? And they say "I don't know you are the doctor you tell me".

But not everyone in Singapore is like that though.

Give people a chance. But not too many of course :smile:

Last edited:

ns is killing singapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Edmonton compared to Calgary is more blue collar with more entry level positions, hence easier to get a job."

Does it mean that u can st8 away buy air tickets to Edmonton find a work there, and time goes by, u get your PR and then citizenship?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
"Edmonton compared to Calgary is more blue collar with more entry level positions, hence easier to get a job."

Does it mean that u can st8 away buy air tickets to Edmonton find a work there, and time goes by, u get your PR and then citizenship?

Please use the "quote" tags if you wish to quote from another post. They look like this [QUOTE
HTML:
]quoted portions[/QUOTE]

ns is killing singapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moving to Canada?

Edmonton compared to Calgary is more blue collar with more entry level positions, hence easier to get a job.

@Mod Leongsam, it's been corrected.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

@Mod Leongsam, it's been corrected.

I have come to learn that one can choose to do/try anything they want. It is usually the price that they may not be willing to pay.

To answer your question, I'd say yes. When I was working at the PVC windows company, I had two colleagues from Mexico. Heck of a good workers! They flew into Montreal as "tourists", found jobs that paid them under the table (illegal workers).

They found the job ad for the windows position over in Edmonton. The company handled their applications for work permit by applying as a higher category of work then they would actually do. They got their work permits.

After a couple of years I can't remember exactly was it 3 or 5 years they have now applied for PR with sponsorship from the company. If all goes well they will be PRs at the end of this year.

So yes it is possible. However I would say this is not a conventional route that most immigrants in Canada take.

Usually get the PR first then come over to find work (which is already very challenging). If my mexican colleagues had gone to Edmonton as their first port of call they probably would find it very very hard to find under the table work. At least that's what they told me. Quebec is a different story.

Raphael85

Alfrescian
Loyal
hello nayr69sg, good to see you around here. I remembered reading up some of your posts in delphiforum. Good to know that things are working out for you at this junction. Some of your stories, including others like Asychee, always inspired me whenever i think of where i am now. Better to make this choice while i am still able and can take more risks.

One thing i noticed is that some people don't understand there's a price for everything. There's no such thing as free lunch in this world, asides from those soup kitchens by kind-hearted folks. (:

Mexicans are a tough breed. I read plenty of stories of them elsewhere where they obtained their CA PR through clever means and eventually settled down in their dreamland. There was also another article covering US illegal emigrants that i came across online where this late 20+ Mexican chap stayed for 4 years until he was caught by the system and deported back to Mexico.

Because of the Iraq War, the US started to tighten its immigration policies and implemented many security protocols all over their key installations. If this event hadn't happened, this guy wouldn't have been caught and still be living in some parts of the States!

Last edited:

always1600

Alfrescian
Loyal
News Brunswick, Canada has one of the least population (720,000), right?

Was thinking of retiring there yet to generate some income to subsidize a simple lifestyle.
What was required there....businesses opportunities? I'm in Advertising & Design business.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
News Brunswick, Canada has one of the least population (720,000), right?

Was thinking of retiring there yet to generate some income to subsidize a simple lifestyle.
What was required there....businesses opportunities? I'm in Advertising & Design business.

If you're in advertising and design, adapt your skills so you can provide your services on-line.

You can then market them on sites such as elance.com and it doesn't matter where you are in the world.

My database administrator lives in Iceland (of all places) but he obviously has his reasons for being there. However, he services clients around the world and that includes me in NZ on the other side of the globe.

When there is a project to be done, we skype each and discuss issues as if we were in the same room. We can exchange files in real time while skyping and when everything is done and dusted, I pay him via paypal.

Unless you're stuck in a profession which requires your physical presence eg plumbing, electrician, surgeon etc, you can work from anywhere in the world in this day and age.