• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why are there so many foreigner job applicants?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently a position came up for an entry level job (at least more than $2k/mth). So many applicants are not locals. In the end, only two got shortlisted for first round interview.

First one (Malaysian PR) asked for $2,000. Second one (local) asked for $2,800.

First one had partial relevant experience and displayed positive can-do attitude with a willingness to learn. The second one did not have relevant experience and does not like a desk-bound job (unfortunately the job is a desk-bound job).

Who will you hire?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in this case, usually the first will stay longer in the company.

yet again, i still will try out the local first.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recently a position came up for an entry level job (at least more than $2k/mth). So many applicants are not locals. In the end, only two got shortlisted for first round interview.

First one had partial relevant experience and displayed positive can-do attitude with a willingness to learn. The second one did not have relevant experience and does not like a desk-bound job (unfortunately the job is a desk-bound job).

Who will you hire?

$800/month different. Use $ common sense.
If $200 that different story.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want me to pay a premium (in this case extra $800), then you need to justify. If the reason is good, why not?

But in this case, both applicants have same level of education. How to justify?

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there were no foreign options... you are stuck with the local.

Locals have no option - but they will lose out to foreigners willing to work cheaper.

Singaporeans should help Singaporeans first.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you want me to pay a premium (in this case extra $800), then you need to justify. If the reason is good, why not?

But in this case, both applicants have same level of education. How to justify?

U already have the answer! Save $800/month one year more than $10k if included 13month bonus and CPF.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans should help Singaporeans first.
yes.
i wont mind try to help the locals first. if not all the kpkb against FT for wat? if we ourselves are not helping our ppl?
no wonder FT can easily roll over us now. 我们不能像一盘散沙

me005

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last time i advertise for an accountant.

i had over 100 applications. 40% were burmese. 20% indians from india. 10%pinoys. locals become minority.

it is a sad case.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's silly to hire Singapore men. E.g. expected salary $3,000 and standby 20 days extra leave for reservist and mobs. I don't hire Singapore men. Sorry, please don't blame me. Such are facts and realities of life and business. I don't hire foreigners too. My wife is incharge of HR. She hires Singapore women only. Anyway, my business doesn't have heavy manual chores, just clerrical and administrative.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes.
i wont mind try to help the locals first. if not all the kpkb against FT for wat? if we ourselves are not helping our ppl?
no wonder FT can easily roll over us now. 我们不能像一盘散沙

Ok la, help local must also be justified.

Example, you post a vacancy looking for a data entry clerk.

Local ask for $2,500.
Foreigner ask for $1,500.

The level of skill required is low. Anyone can do this job. Will u hire a local?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who will you hire?

I will follow Pinky lead, SINgaporeans first, they must be given pirority!, Malaysians can find work back home, both legally & make plenty of money illegally!!. SINgaporeans must be given the job first. Are you bashing SINgaporeans? they are most, upgraded, most educated & very unproductive people ( sex lah!, what are you thinking).:wink:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok la, help local must also be justified.

Example, you post a vacancy looking for a data entry clerk.

Local ask for $2,500.
Foreigner ask for $1,500.

The level of skill required is low. Anyone can do this job. Will u hire a local?

The ONLY reason why businesses can choose a low-paid foreigner over a Singaporean is because the gahmen opened its legs wide and let all and sundry into the country. If the gahmen did its job that it was elected for and paid the world's highest salary, businesses would HAVE TO hire Singaporeans before it can start looking at foreigners. Which is the policy in all other developed countries.

Since you are comparing the salary and trying to wayang justification - it's very obvious you have already decided on the cheapness factor. So you might as well close this thread and hire the cheapest.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is too much cheap labour available. The govt should stop the influx first and stabilize basic pay.

When one does the hiring, there will always be a preference for hiring locals first, but they are at least 30%-50% more costly than foreigners. This is a bigger issue for skills with low skill requirements.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is an attractive place to come to work. High wages (in comparison), favourable exchange rate, relatively high standard of living (quality of life, medicals, hygiene), good exposure, rule of law. The only thing that sucks is recreation, but that's not why people come here to work.

Cheers!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
malaysian PR in this case. if you hire the sinkies, he will quit in a few months

Who will you hire?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is too much cheap labour available. The govt should stop the influx first and stabilize basic pay.

When one does the hiring, there will always be a preference for hiring locals first, but they are at least 30%-50% more costly than foreigners. This is a bigger issue for skills with low skill requirements.

That is why we must have the minimum wage for SINgaporeans, that is the costs, employers have to pay,if they want to hire a local, for that mimumum pay to for the local worker to justify their existence and help them pay for an expensive government. If you think locals are too expensive to work for a low skill requirment, you should bring this up to, "zorro" limp of the Unions and the current Minister of education, we then are over educating the people & raised productivity too high!

But what the heck!, it is business, business is to make money...so hire the lowest cost one of course, it makes sense, doesn't it, but consider, 'shooting the chickens' or crush the 'eggs'

Go on, hire the lowest cost workers you can find, it makes good business sense...after all you make to make money.:wink:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal

Locals have to have higher pay because of all the local costs, world's most expensive houses, cars, government, etc - you can't run away or ignore these as they are real costs.

It's very convenient to say Singaporeans are choosy... I think the real problem is that the employers are the ones that are choosy - they only choose the cheapest. And then try to wayang with a thousand other reasons why they never practice SINGAPOREANS FIRST... the truth hurts ... cheap.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Locals have to have higher pay because of all the local costs, world's most expensive houses, cars, government, etc - you can't run away or ignore these as they are real costs.

It's very convenient to say Singaporeans are choosy... I think the real problem is that the employers are the ones that are choosy - they only choose the cheapest. And then try to wayang with a thousand other reasons why they never practice SINGAPOREANS FIRST... the truth hurts ... cheap.

The 'tooth' hurts...that is why now they are singing a new song, for the 60% will be enthrall for they are kindred souls!:biggrin:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singaporeans will definitely face a disadvantage for lowly skilled or entry level positions. That is why there should be some kind of restrictions on foreigners coming in to work.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans will definitely face a disadvantage for lowly skilled or entry level positions. That is why there should be some kind of restrictions on foreigners coming in to work.

should... could... would... nice words .. they rhyme...

perhaps can use them in the ode thread...