• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

T.T. Durai Is Back

M

Mdm Tang

The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) has closed the chapter on its problems involving former chief executive T.T. Durai and three former officials whom it sued for about $12 million.

Mr Durai has repaid in full the $4.05 million he owed the charity.

Chairman Gerard Ee told The Sunday Times that the NKF had also 'recovered what we can' from former chairman Richard Yong, former treasurer Loo Say San and former board member Matilda Chua. He declined to give details.

All four landed in hot water after Mr Durai sued Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) in 2005 over an article in The Straits Times which mentioned a gold-plated tap in his office toilet.

He withdrew his defamation suit after his $600,000 annual salary, first-class air travel and other details of his time in office were made public. The revelations led to public outrage and Mr Durai and the entire NKF board stepped down.

In 2007, the NKF sued Mr Durai, Mr Yong, Mr Loo and Ms Chua to recover about $12 million that had been 'improperly paid out or used by the former board and CEO'.

Its claims included about $2 million paid to Mr Durai in salaries and benefits, about $4 million in lost donations as a result of the scandal and about $550,000 in legal costs incurred when the NKF, under Mr Durai, sued SPH.

Mr Durai staved off an impending bankruptcy by agreeing to pay the NKF $4.05 million in instalments. Mr Yong, Mr Loo and Ms Chua were made bankrupt after failing to pay damages and legal costs of the civil suit. Mr Loo died in 2010.

According to the NKF's latest annual report, Mr Durai paid the final $250,000 of the $4.05 million he owed the charity in July last year.

He had made his first payment of $500,000 in July 2007, followed by 11 instalments of $300,000 each, before the final payment.

Mr Yong, Mr Loo and Ms Chua had their bankruptcies annulled as of December last year, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Law Sim Ann told Parliament in February.

The Official Assignee, a court official appointed as the trustee and receiver of a bankrupt's estate, sold the trio's assets and used the money to work out a debt settlement proposal. Their creditors had accepted this proposal, Ms Sim said in response to Non-Constituency Member of Parliament Lina Chiam's request for an update. The NKF and the Insolvency and Public Trustee's Office declined to reveal details of the trio's settlement.

Mr Ee, a veteran charity leader, took over the NKF's helm after Mr Durai and his entire board stepped down. He also hired auditors KPMG to examine the charity's affairs, which uncovered a host of questionable practices under Mr Durai's watch.

This culminated in the NKF's decision to sue Mr Durai and the three others. At the same time, Mr Durai, Mr Yong, Mr Loo and Ms Chua also faced criminal charges.

In 2008, Mr Durai was jailed for three months for using a fake invoice to cheat the NKF.

His last known employer was Property Facility Services, where he reportedly drew a $25,000 monthly salary heading a firm offering health-care and human resource services in the Middle East.

He was last seen in public at NKF founder Khoo Oon Teik's funeral last month.

The Sunday Times understands that he now works as a business consultant overseas. He could not be reached, and his family and friends were tight-lipped about his whereabouts.

To repay his debt, Mr Durai is said to have sold an Upper East Coast Road apartment worth about $700,000 and borrowed $500,000 from friends.

As for his former associates, Mr Loo died of a heart attack in 2010 at age 61. Lawyers said his estate would have had to be used to pay his creditors first, before his family or those named in his will could lay claim to it. Neither Mr Yong nor Ms Chua could be reached for comment.

In 2007, Mr Yong was jailed for one year and three months for conspiring with his wife, Madam On Shu Kio, to move nearly $4 million out of Singapore to avoid paying damages and legal costs to the NKF.

Madam On was jailed one year and 10 months in 2008 for money laundering to avoid paying the NKF. Both have since been released from jail.

Ms Chua was fined $20,000 in 2009 for falsifying the books of her call centre company, Global Net Relations, which she had started with Mr Durai.

Under Mr Ee's leadership, the NKF has transformed itself into a thrifty charity focused on improving its patients' lives.

It cut dialysis fees significantly and is helping 2,953 patients as of last month, compared with about 1,800 patients in July 2005 while Mr Durai was in charge.

Needy patients also get other forms of help, such as free food vouchers and subsidised transport to their dialysis sessions.

Mr Ee said: 'With the annulment of the bankruptcy orders, we can now place the matter behind us and concentrate on the future of NKF. We must not forget the good that these directors have done for NKF in the past. We acknowledge their contributions and will always credit them for their contributions.'

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
So Mr Ee is the face and Mr Durai and gang are the heels in this NKF saga? :confused:

If that's the case, then thank you Mr Ee for whipping NKF back into shape.

LOL

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2.just a tip of some huge iceberg hoh.
3. never trust some snake or a fat arse!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
how did he make so many millions in such short years?

it's strange. if he is able to do that, then there shouldn't be a need to leech on NKF in the lst place. how does the black mamba do it??

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Understood he went to work for the Sheiks lah. He sold his flat, borrowed from his relatives and frens, and repaid them in instalments with the pay from the Arabs mah. I think it's manageable if he lived spartanly.

it's strange. if he is able to do that, then there shouldn't be a need to leech on NKF in the lst place. how does the black mamba do it??

Y

Yip Hon

Only TT and Mdm Know .

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
amazingly, last time, i used to donate to nkf. my uncle who passed away was a kidney dialysis patient, my mum used to say that he complained that nkf was useless, he still need to pay a lot of money. somehow, by donating money to them also made me subjected to lky's cronies checking on me. wtf!

nowadays, i don't donate money to these president charity or whatever, only community chest and spore pools!:o

Only TT and Mdm Know .

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only TT and Mdm Know .

Kwan-ku! "members have their privileges" are they still paying him 1 peanut a month?:rolleyes:

I started donating to NKF from Pro. Khoo Oon Teik days, when NKF was at SATA building in town, was that Hoe Chiang Road or Lim Teck Kim Road, monthly & when they started GIRO used GIRO. When NKF under Durai, started their TV donation shows, I immediately cancelled all donation & have never donated a cent to NKF, not even to their flag days & even stopped buying their Christmas cards. The reason is simple, the bigger the till, people will get greedy & who knows how much money will be filtered off & how much will the patients actually received. There is a Chinese saying. " if you guard the well, occassionally you take a sip of water from the well"...but some will install unseen 'pipes' under the well... hmmmm!!

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mr Ee said: 'With the annulment of the bankruptcy orders, we can now place the matter behind us and concentrate on the future of NKF. We must not forget the good that these directors have done for NKF in the past. We acknowledge their contributions and will always credit them for their contributions.'

With this kind of statement, it is no wonder the full details of how the culprits settled their debts remain shrouded in secrecy. Was there cut corner to ensure they pay lesser penalty due to their "contributions" remained unknown as long as Gerald and PAP gang prefer tight-lipped to all necessary queries.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
With this kind of statement, it is no wonder the full details of how the culprits settled their debts remain shrouded in secrecy. Was there cut corner to ensure they pay lesser penalty due to their "contributions" remained unknown as long as Gerald and PAP gang prefer tight-lipped to all necessary queries.

Average in abilities but largely dishonest spineless Singaporeans can pay off $4million dollar fines. This is the Singapore that Sam Leong opines for. The pathetic state media failed to state that Durai was working for a Temasick Holdings company. Another one of Sam Leong's favourite Singapore entity.

Silent88scope

Alfrescian
Loyal
TT Durian where got so many millions to pay back NKF.
It's just another wayang show crafted by that "fat albert" trying to restore back the limelight that NKF once used to have
so that the MIWs can start another "charity TV shows" asking for donations again. You just wait and see lar.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
amazingly, last time, i used to donate to nkf. my uncle who passed away was a kidney dialysis patient, my mum used to say that he complained that nkf was useless, he still need to pay a lot of money. somehow, by donating money to them also made me subjected to lky's cronies checking on me. wtf!

nowadays, i don't donate money to these president charity or whatever, only community chest and spore pools!:o

Since when SINgapore poolS a charity organization?:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TT Durian where got so many millions to pay back NKF.
It's just another wayang show crafted by that "fat albert" trying to restore back the limelight that NKF once used to have
so that the MIWs can start another "charity TV shows" asking for donations again. You just wait and see lar.

They will invite special guests , you know who!! and they will sing "Waltzing Matilda" to raise funds, please don't forget to phone in and make it to 4 million dollars!

Silent88scope

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will invite special guests , you know who!! and they will sing "Waltzing Matilda" to raise funds, please don't forget to phone in and make it to 4 million dollars!

Precisely, you will all get to see more "Charity TV show" coming up in the next few months and years.
If they don't do these sort of trick, where got so much $$$ to revamp the MRT tracks and trains.
Furthermore, our "Sillypore Warren Buffet" Temasick CEO lost tons of $$$ also need replenishment to continue shopping for companies mah.

Hwheels

Alfrescian
Loyal
S$4+ million probably a peanuts sum to raise, with generous pals like Mrs Goh.

Any news on Richard Yong's wife? She was held in HK for laundering and numerous crimes right? Plus Wakin Chow was serenading to Yong at the concert a few years back.

Hwheels

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stopped all donations when they started sending those glossy-paged NKF magazines. My family received 4 copies. What a waste of donation funds and paper! I realised if they could spend so much on printing and postage, not much will be left to spend on patients. Anyway they have enough reserves for years, thanks to the clarification after the charade was exposed.