• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property cooling measures affecting entire Malaysia. Effective 1 May 2014, foreigners can only purchase properties above RM1 million* in Malaysia.However, projects that had already received its development order (DO) approval will be exempted. This means foreigners can still buy below the minimum purchase price for projects that have already been launched even after 1 May 2014.

Source? How abt resale properties for projects that had received DO approval?

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,
I am trying to plan how much time (in terms of weeks) I need in total to do these basic reno:
Kitchen cabinet
Grills
Aircon
Lights/Fans
Window film

Have to commute from Sg to My to oversee the above, so from your experience, how many weeks in total I need assuming I do these items one after another in order to avoid misunderstandings between the different contractors. I am not using one main contractor or ID firm. Thanks in advance!

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,

Have to commute from Sg to My to oversee the above, so from your experience, how many weeks in total I need assuming I do these items one after another in order to avoid misunderstandings between the different contractors. I am not using one main contractor or ID firm. Thanks in advance!

Not weeks but months. Provided you've lined up all your contractors & know exactly what's needed to be done. I have just completed installation of Aircond, wiring, lighting, LAN cables, heaters, water pump, toilet bowls, etc. & these took 2 months, up till before the contractors stopped work for CNY. I commute every few days to check on the contractors, deal with suppliers of the various items, payment, etc. Major & minor changes can be expected, requiring leave to settle issues such as location of switches, lights, colour, measurements, materials used, etc. Often, cannot communicate details over the phone, you have to see it yourself to understand what the contractors are trying tell you.
For strata titled properties, some days, contractors are not allowed to work. Then, some contractors have many projects and may not work on yours for several days. You may also need to liaise with the managing agent for some areas which may require written permission, such as location of Aircond compressors.
I handed a spare key to my contractor during the work period. This saves a lot of headaches trying to be there before they start work and having to stay till they finish for the day. You have to trust them, no choice. After all works completed, they return the keys to my letter box. Then change the main locks before moving in. Alternately, get the officer in the managing agent office to hold the key & help open/close the main door for the contractors. This way, they can also ensure all the works are within the permitted works in the house rules.
There will be a lot of frustrations such as traffic jams, contractor's rubber time, playing you out, mis-communication, non-communication, over-charging, etc. So, give yourself a lot of buffer.

Hope this helps and good luck!

avtar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Prepaid mobile BB / Data Plan

Remember to note... For those using U Mobile Prepaid.. When u topup

The validity periods are as below :
RM10 – 30 days
RM30 – 90 days
RM50 – 150 days
RM100 and above – 300 days max

you can extend it to 1year by paying rm30/year , Digi prepaid.

Garbage

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Prepaid mobile BB / Data Plan

you can extend it to 1year by paying rm30/year , Digi prepaid.

thanks for the info.

eW35GSA.jpg

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, just want to ask the bros and sis which network eg Digi, maxis, etc you use and whether u use prepaid or postpaid and what pros and cons. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just found this on Digi site:

DG SmartPlan™ 78 4G RM78
Bundled Internet Bundled Voice Calls Bundled SMS
3GB 100 mins 100 SMS

Any comments?

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Risk Factors in JB Property

Hi, saw some old post about portable aircon. Can anyone share their experience with them, like reliability, cost, convenience, etc?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just found this on Digi site:

DG SmartPlan™ 78 4G RM78
Bundled Internet Bundled Voice Calls Bundled SMS
3GB 100 mins 100 SMS

Any comments?

Mine is e $10 RM Digi pre-paid. It is very useful in my dual SIM handphone. Can surf cheaply on my handphone yet contactable at my SG number.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi, saw some old post about portable aircon. Can anyone share their experience with them, like reliability, cost, convenience, etc?

Cheaper to run a cheap china brand single fixed unit. $800 RM can get w installation.

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Portable aircon

What brand is that? I was tinking portable one u can shift from one room to another as need arises.

Those portable blower ( add cold water type) are not effective in cooling. Those portable aircon are good in cooling but need to lay a hose to allow hot air to escape usually through the window, which is quite troublesome.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Portable aircon

Those portable blower ( add cold water type) are not effective in cooling. Those portable aircon are good in cooling but need to lay a hose to allow hot air to escape usually through the window, which is quite troublesome.

I have not used before but saw the hose looks quite big, so will be troublesome indeed.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

What brand is that? I was tinking portable one u can shift from one room to another as need arises.

Chinese brand Hisense. I use them for my JB house n they r quite okay. Even e lousiest fixed ones will be way better than portable ones.

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal

About water filter, saw a Taiwan brand Aquasonic filter (sold by a shop opposite Giant Nusa Bestari) that you can attach to your kitchen tap. It has a white filter inside cylinder. Anyone tried it before and does it work?