• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Seeking objective opinions

You will always be a wanderer because you refuse to put down roots.

Agreed. "put down roots". It is hard decision. Once you convert to SC, it 's very difficult or no way to revert to MC again (unless you fall in certain group). In fact, many of the Malaysian SPR remain as MC as they feel the advantages are not that great as compared to those China & India SPR convert to SC. i think option 2 may be more applicable for you. option 1 if you are rich. The gov welcome you.

Last edited:

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal

singapore is such an tiny island. how long you need to commute?

the bus service from bukit indah to jurong east interchange takes slightly less than an hour. If you drive, 1 hour is enough to bring you to every corner of Singapore.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now that you have moved back to JB, and after comparing the time/quality of life in SG vs now in JB, you can think about which one is more impt, time/quality of life/money/property? Based on these I think you can roughly decide what is the best course at this point in time. e.g. if you find that you can tolerate living in JB and commute time and build up decent savings for a property in MY, then you can seriously consider this. Dont just becos can buy HDB you convert to SC.

HDB flats always got alot of restrictive rulings one to reinforce the message that such flats are meant for self-occupation and not for speculation.

marineblue911

Alfrescian
Loyal

There are many possibilities based on your personal situation. If your job has potential to work flexible hours or your boss is able to let you have certain flexibility in coming in and going off, etc then living in JB becomes alot kinder as you may be able to avoid most of the heavy peak traffic at the customs. If so, then taking up SC becomes moot as you enjoy most if not all of the benefits as a PR while being able to buy reasonable housing in JB.

If your work time is rigid, commuting daily in peak traffic to me is quite a big obstacle. Maybe buying a motorbike would help alot in such as case.

As other bros have mentioned, taking up SC is more than just to buy HDB. It a lifelong decision with many implications that you may not realise yet. PRs can take out their CPF in full at 55 for example.

Things change in life and the world quite frequently and faster than we think. Sometimes, waiting may not be a bad choice. Opportunities come but we need to have the means while they present themselves.

Just my personal thoughts.

Cheers

iceblue

Alfrescian
Loyal

Does CPF really allows PRs to withdraw their CPF at the age of 55? I was reading through some materials before and through I saw that it states"you can withdraw your CPF provided you have no intention of employment or residing in Singapore or West Malaysia."

potato

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: LOOKING FOR NEW FREEHOLD LANDED PROPERTY NEAR TUAS 2nd LINK

Hey guys, have some question here.
I note that there are people are interested to give it a try to stay in JB and work in Singapore,
however most of the people were worry that the kind of life might be tiring and would not be suitable for them.

Here's some suggestion:
Lets say I have one rental properties in JB and willing to rent to people who interested to give it a try to stay in JB,
Well if the kind of life is acceptable for your then you may just proceed to rent it while if it is not ok you can simply quit it.
In that case then you can still retain you properties in SG and rent it to someone else while you staying in JB.

How? Anyone interested?

Hi Dragon 123,
Do you really have a place to try out in JB? Let me know as we are planning to stay in JB around September or October this year. Scouting for a place right now.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Hi Dragon 123,
Do you really have a place to try out in JB? Let me know as we are planning to stay in JB around September or October this year. Scouting for a place right now.

Whats your budget, i may be able to link you up with a few guys direct, how short a lease are you looking at? Of course Dragon 123 has first right of refusal on this for you.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

All of us who venture into Iskandar Malaysia have an extra ounce of courage. But I agree with you that there are greater individuals out there as compared to me. I am sure that Sis Crystal is one of them.

Fully agree, she well deserved an award! Steady poon pi pi and a role model for alot of women to follow.
:smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thanks Bro Whoami

Very good advice and also the posting was useful.

Who knows, there could be MIWs here as well. :eek:
Agree, especially with the following:

Meeting With Forum Members

4. Do not fill in any application forms given by forum members where you will reveal your identity, as well as your personal information.
5. Introduce yourself as John, Sam, Mike, or whatever common western names that you can think of, but never your real name. Surnames like Tan, Lim, Lee, etc are alright as they are common enough.
6. Your personal documents like passport, identification card etc should always remain with you and never be handed over to the forum member you met in Hatyai. For hotel check-in or buying of air ticket, please make sure that the no one is not around when you provide the necessary personal info requested. In addition to personal documents, you should ensure that all other documents which contains your real identity or personal info (eg email confirmation letter from airlines or hotels) should not be seen by the forum member that you met there.
7. If you are using your new nick to correspond with any person in Hatyai, remember to use that same nick when you met that person, and not your original nick.
8. Always remain vague and avoid answering questions about your personal life (like your job, your company etc). Talk about anything under the sun except about yourself.
9. If any samster were to pressure you into revealing your identity, then you better stay away from him. For sure he is up to no good in wanting to find out who you are. It is better for you not to know this person, even if you have to roam Hatyai by yourself.
10. Never give your handphone number out to the forum member that you meet in hatyai. Avoid using your handphone for correspondence. Used a local prepaid SIM card instead. If not, then always make use of the hotel phone at the reception, which is free for local calls.
11. Beware of joining or investing in any businesses proposed by the forum member in Hatyai. In such dealings, beside giving out your money, you will also need to divulge your personal details. Beside losing your money, you will also have to deal with your personal info being used against you should relationship turn sour.

potato

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whats your budget, i may be able to link you up with a few guys direct, how short a lease are you looking at? Of course Dragon 123 has first right of refusal on this for you.

That's great. Start with 1 year lease. Needed around September/october this year. Between MYR2000 to MYR3000, house with security too. white and modern decor preferred. Only 2 adults, no children or pet.

boyka

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it.

Yes, there are many factors to consider before making this life long commitment.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hello. I would like to ask for some opinions. I am having a dilemma at the moment, so, would like to hear some objective views on the matter.

I am a Singapore PR. I came to study in Singapore since secondary school and have been working here after graduation. Recently, I moved back to stay in JB because the rental in Singapore has risen quite a lot, and I am trying to save up some money.

With my current salary, I am not able to afford to buy a private property in Singapore and am not eligible to buy HDB as I am still single. I am approaching the age of 35. I am considering applying for Singapore citizenship so that I could buy a HDB under the single-citizen scheme. The advantage is that I can reduce the commute time, and also able to make use of the CPF to pay for the downpayment and mortgage. This would also ease my cashflow since I would not be paying rental anymore.

The other alternative is to hold on to my Malaysian citizenship and purchase a place in JB. This would mean that I have to pay the downpayment and mortgage with cash. The advantage is the lower cost of living, and space.

If you were me, what would you do? Maybe there is another way?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, if you dont see yourself getting married to Singaporean or PR, I think the best way is for you to purchase a JB home first, and take loan with Public Bank (no operations in SG). Then you convert to Singaporean, and buy a HDB under singles scheme. You can rent out rooms for your HDB flat in the meantime, and collect rental income.

When you are old, you can then rent out the entire HDB for gd rental income, while retiring in your JB home. I believe this is the most suitable method for your situation.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Note the following conditions.

Flat owners who wish to sublet their flats must meet a 3 or 5-year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) as follows:

3 years

- Non-subsidised flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) and the application to buy the flat was received by HDB before 30 Aug 2010.

5 years

- Non-subsidised flat (flat purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant) and the application to buy the flat was received by HDB on or after 30 Aug 2010.
- Subsidised flat (flat purchased directly from HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant)

*Applications for subletting of flats by flat owners who are Singapore Permanent Residents (SPRs) may be granted if it is their first application after meeting the subletting MOP. Their subsequent applications (including renewal applications) will be considered on a case-by-case basis and approval may be granted only if there are extenuating circumstances. The total subletting period for the SPR owners’ entire tenure of flat ownership must not exceed 5 years.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

If he converts to Singaporean, he can buy a HDB under the singles scheme, and there's nothing in the rules to stop him from renting out rooms. Then when he's old and plans to retire, he can sublet out the entire HDB flat n retire in JB.

Of course, if he thinks through it carefully enough, he can always sleep over in his JB house "temporarily" before his retirement age, while renting out his HDB rooms. His JB house can be bought in the name of his parents, if he wants to play it really safe.....

boyka

Hi there, if you dont see yourself getting married to Singaporean or PR, I think the best way is for you to purchase a JB home first, and take loan with Public Bank (no operations in SG). Then you convert to Singaporean, and buy a HDB under singles scheme. You can rent out rooms for your HDB flat in the meantime, and collect rental income.

When you are old, you can then rent out the entire HDB for gd rental income, while retiring in your JB home. I believe this is the most suitable method for your situation.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatSingleScheme?OpenDocument

Ownership/Interest in Property in Singapore or Overseas other than HDB flats

You can own private property (unless you are applying for a CPF Housing Grant and/or an HDB loan).

However, you, your co-applicants and any occupiers listed in the resale application must dispose of any interest in any private residential property within 6 months from the completion of the purchase of the resale flat.

I think HDB has clamped down on resale flat buyers who own private (local or overseas) properties before they buy resale HDB. Upon signing SPA, they must undertake to dispose of their private property within 6 months.

Last edited:

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal

If he converts to Singaporean, he can buy a HDB under the singles scheme, and there's nothing in the rules to stop him from renting out rooms. Then when he's old and plans to retire, he can sublet out the entire HDB flat n retire in JB.

Of course, if he thinks through it carefully enough, he can always sleep over in his JB house "temporarily" before his retirement age, while renting out his HDB rooms. His JB house can be bought in the name of his parents, if he wants to play it really safe.....

Beware! The rules are there, they encourage neighbours to complain. N they do checks at night too. My mum experience it as neighbours might have complain, so hv to leave it empty to fulfill the Mop period. Another friend did that too n the tenants became nasty n refused to pay rental , threatening to complain to authority

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatSingleScheme?OpenDocument

Ownership/Interest in Property in Singapore or Overseas other than HDB flats

You can own private property (unless you are applying for a CPF Housing Grant and/or an HDB loan).

However, you, your co-applicants and any occupiers listed in the resale application must dispose of any interest in any private residential property within 6 months from the completion of the purchase of the resale flat.

I think HDB has clamped down on resale flat buyers who own private (local or overseas) properties before they buy resale HDB. Upon signing SPA, they must undertake to dispose of their private property within 6 months.

Yes, right. As i mentioned, it is difficult or even no way to revert to Malaysian citizen once surrender.Besides, the purchasing of HDB and JB house as suggested also not feasible due to the new HDB ruling.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beware! The rules are there, they encourage neighbours to complain. N they do checks at night too. My mum experience it as neighbours might have complain, so hv to leave it empty to fulfill the Mop period. Another friend did that too n the tenants became nasty n refused to pay rental , threatening to complain to authority

He can rent out rooms while staying in the HDB flat then. No need to leave it empty.... Maybe he can do 3-4 nights in SG and the remaining nights in JB?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, right. As i mentioned, it is difficult or even no way to revert to Malaysian citizen once surrender.Besides, the purchasing of HDB and JB house as suggested also not feasible due to the new HDB ruling.

That's y I suggest he take up the loan with Public Bank. Or he use his parents name for the JB house.......