• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking for a renovation contractor to do up a 10 year old condo unit. Not a major one but quite a bit of misc. works based on my own design including :

need to knock down some walls and change some louvred windows to alum/glass and add grilles,
built-in kitchen cabinets and wardrobe and air-con the rooms,
new lightings / powerpoints and maybe also changing the sanitary wares in the toilets (optional, depends on budget).
new coat of paint
Any good recommendation please (cheap and good ones??)

currahee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Securing the roof

Hi,

Since most break-ins happen thru the roof, appreciate suggestions on how to secure the roof to reduce the chance of a break-in.
Thanks.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Securing the roof

Hi Currahee

there are many ways to do it. most room are already secured or actually it depends on how the installer did your roof. Best way is to climb below it and see how its done and you add reinforcements to it.

Another way is to build a RC flat roof below ur already done roof which is a lot of work but can add as a new storage area where you have better ways and means to fix ur lighting points. in order to access that you can do a lock over a gate for your access. many ways to go about doing that. some people build a spiral staircase to it.

another good thing about doing that is you can even sleep up there and make it into a loft. you do not need RC roof but can can do it with planks and stablize them.
you can then remodify your roof in a way where hot air can travel out and windcan come in. no water problems. the whole house will be very cool.
the way things are done in johor or the new way is most of time hot air is stuck and no access for hot air to run out.

Hi,

Since most break-ins happen thru the roof, appreciate suggestions on how to secure the roof to reduce the chance of a break-in.
Thanks.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal

one good way is to modify the roof at the end. when the ends of the roof becomes weak and easy to break, the robbers will have no chance to mount their ladder. so say one ft to 2 ft have so called temporary tiles. when theives mount their ladder there and start climbing up auto matically the roof will collaspe up to the distance you want it to collaspe and the thieve will fall down.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Hi,

Thanks.

This has actually been discussed a while ago, good to revisit this topic though :smile:
Many ways to secure, first live in a G&G place whenever possible. Then establish good contacts with your neighbours, helps if they are your friends. Then install the motion sensing type of spot light for places where its dark or where not very accessible, etc. Then put cameras, etc and secure your doors and windows.
Then finally the roof.

The roof should have alarms which are IR activated. The trapdoor or roof access should have a physical lock and alarms set up on it. Doesn't have to be fancy but magnetic types will do as well. Even cheap ones from Daiso will do (nowadays, comes in black as well as they provide batteries.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep will pm u later

QUOTE=snowbird;1102280]Looking for a renovation contractor to do up a 10 year old condo unit. Not a major one but quite a bit of misc. works based on my own design including :

need to knock down some walls and change some louvred windows to alum/glass and add grilles,
built-in kitchen cabinets and wardrobe and air-con the rooms,
new lightings / powerpoints and maybe also changing the sanitary wares in the toilets (optional, depends on budget).
new coat of paint
Any good recommendation please (cheap and good ones??)[/QUOTE]

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Housing maintenance incurred for staying in Horizon Hills.. anything i missed out

9 Jun 2012

'Selamatkah rumah yang ingin kami diami?'
Pemilik hartanah Horizon Hills di Johor mahu jaminan pemaju lepas dua insiden struktur runtuh
Oleh
SAINI SALLEH

BEBERAPA warga Singapura yang memiliki "rumah idaman" di estet perumahan mewah Horizon Hills di Johor Bahru mahu pihak pemaju memberi jaminan bahawa rumah yang mereka diami adalah selamat.

Mereka juga mahu pihak pemaju - Horizon Hills Development Sdn Bhd - menjalankan pemeriksaan menyeluruh untuk memastikan dua kejadian struktur rumah runtuh di estet tersebut baru-baru ini tidak berulang.

Ini perlu demi menjaga nama baik syarikat pemaju dan mengembalikan keyakinan warga asing, termasuk rakyat Singapura, yang membentuk sebilangan besar pembeli hartanah mewah itu.

Salah seorang daripada mereka yang hanya mengenalkan dirinya sebagai Encik Ang, 48 tahun, berkata jubin rumah jirannya di Jalan Ambang 1/1 runtuh pada 15 April lalu.

Beliau juga mengadu masalah dinding rumahnya berlumut - tanda adanya keretakan - kepada pihak pemaju.

Awal bulan ini pula, sebahagian siling bilik tidur di sebuah lagi rumah jirannya runtuh.

"Mereka datang lebih dua minggu lalu dan ketuk sana ketuk sini, tetapi hingga sekarang saya belum tahu hasil pemeriksaan itu.

"Saya mahu jawapan daripada pihak pemaju sama ada rumah saya dan rumah-rumah pemilik lain selamat didiami,'' kata Encik Ang, seorang pekerja dalam bidang teknologi maklumat.

Rumahnya yang dibeli dengan harga lebih RM600,000 ($245,000) sekitar tiga tahun lalu itu kini disewakan kepada sebuah keluarga Australia.

Laporan Berita Harian pada Mei 2010 menunjukkan bahawa 50 peratus pembeli Horizon Hills adalah warga Singapura dengan 20 peratus daripadanya adalah orang Melayu.

Antara tarikan estet Horizon Hills itu ialah reputasi dan jenama firma pemaju yang baik, khidmat sistem keselamatan, lokasi strategik dan dekat dengan Singapura selain daripada rekaan dan konsep yang menarik.

Estet perumahan mewah berstatus pegangan kekal di Nusajaya itu, yang dikatakan antara terbaik di Johor Bahru, terletak dalam kawasan pembangunan Iskandar Malaysia.

Lantaran itu harga hartanah di situ telah naik antara 10 dengan 15 peratus setiap tahun meskipun hanya empat daripada 13 kawasan pembangunannya seluas 1,200 hektar telah dibangunkan.

Seorang lagi warga Singapura yang hanya mahu dikenali sebagai Encik Kamal, 48 tahun, berkata dua kejadian itu mungkin terpencil tetapi pihak pemaju tidak boleh mengambil ringan.

"Kami tak tahu punca sebenar kededua kejadian itu dan menjadi tanggungjawab pihak pemaju menerangkannya kepada penduduk untuk menghilangkan kebimbangan mereka.

"Kami beli rumah di estet ini atas kepercayaan estet perumahan ini dibangunkan oleh sebuah syarikat pemaju terkemuka Malaysia dan terkenal dengan mutu binaan yang tinggi!'' tambah peniaga yang menetap di Bedok dan berulang-alik hujung minggu ke rumahnya Horizon Hills itu.

http://cyberita.asia1.com.sg/singapura/selamatkah-rumah-yang-ingin-kami-diami

As reported in BH paper regarding structural defects in some of the residents home at HH.

Last edited:

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Housing maintenance incurred for staying in Horizon Hills.. anything i missed out

Any kind souls to do a nice translation. ?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thanks for sharing whoami, seems related to some sort of 2nd floor ceiling board (made of wood) collapse.

Likely because of roof issues like leaks which causes the mositure to affect the ceiling boards but this type of roof damage does not come suddenly, rather through a long time or unless caused by renovation. It would be good to find out more. It also should not affect the structural stability of the house. Never had a ceiling cave in (touch wood) so far though part of a ceiling did have a hole due to heavy rain seeping through the roof. Found it in time so didn't get this issue.

Rough translation from Google and some from my own interpretation:

'We want to live in Safe house'

Horizon Hills property owners want to guarantee developers in Johor last two incidents of structural collapse

By Saini Film

Several Singaporeans who have a "dream home" in Horizon Hills luxury housing estate in Johor Bahru wrote to the developer to assure that the home they live in is safe.

They also want the developers - Horizon Hills Development Sdn Bhd - to conduct a thorough inspection to ensure that the two incidents structure collapsed houses in the estate recently did not recur.

This is necessary in order to protect the good name of the developer and restore confidence of foreigners, including Singaporeans, who form a large number of luxury property buyers.

One of those who identified herself only as Mr Ang, 48, said the neighbor's house at Jalan (Threshold not sure where this is) 1/1 collapsed on 15 April.

She also complained her mossy wall and signs of a crack - to the developer.

Earlier this month, the ceiling of the bedroom of another neighbor's house collapsed.

"They came over two weeks ago and there tap tap here, but until now I do not know the results of the inspection.

"I want answers from the developers, whether my house and the other owners of houses safe for occupancy,'' said Mr Ang, a worker in the field of information technology.

His house was bought for more than RM600, 000 ($ 245,000) about three years ago is now leased to an Australian family.

News reports in May 2010 showed that 50 percent buyer Horizon Hills are citizens of Singapore and 20 per cent were Malays.

Horizon Hills estate attraction is the developer's reputation and good brand, service security system, strategic location and proximity to Singapore other than an attractive design and concept.

Luxury housing estate of freehold status currently, which is said to be among the best in Johor Bahru, located within Iskandar Malaysia.

Hence the property prices there have risen between 10 to 15 percent per year even though only four of 13 development area of ​​1,200 hectares has been developed.

Another Singaporean who wants to be known as Mr Kamal, 48, said the two incidents may be isolated, but the developer cannot take it lightly.

"We do not know the actual cause of both the incident and the developer's responsibility to explain to the people to remove their fears.

"We bought this house in the trust estate housing estate was developed by a leading developer of Malaysia and is known for building high quality!'' Added the dealer who lives in Bedok and during the weekend commutes to his home in Horizon Hills.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal

thanks Wuqi,

i seriously hate the way ceilings are done in Johor, i seen my neighbours, and last week i went to see mine, they are still building, i was so upset but never mind, whn the boat reaach the bridge , everyting thing will be straight!

all people here should seriously consider reinforce their ceilings. but all starts with the roof, maybe next week i will try to go in again or even this week to take somre fotos then when the time comes to redo, it will be easier to see the faults.

in another friend house his ceiling is wonderful can even step inside and won't collaspe. try it in nusajaya, you will fall through.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal

For those who are really interested, please google and read about Roofs, building roofs, ceilings, whatever things you can dig from the web do read and the you will understand what i mean.

keling is shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
white cards

bros,

going to malaysia via tuas link this sat. any one knows if white card is necessary for singaporeans entering malaysia?

pls advise. thanks in advance.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: white cards

No more white card since June 2012.

Also, new for bro/sis don't know true or not:-

------------------------------------------------
Johor-Singapore Comcare Association

May 4 via mobile.

There is word in the market that come this July 2012, the levy for purchase of property in JB will be increased from RM 11,000 to RM 30,000 and the minimum purchase increase from the current RM 500,000 to RM 750,000. If that is true, those intending to get a property in JB has about 2 months to do so before falling under the new requirements.

---------------------------------------

bros,

going to malaysia via tuas link this sat. any one knows if white card is necessary for singaporeans entering malaysia?

pls advise. thanks in advance.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal

TS thanks for leaving vulgar comments on my profile as well as others here.
I know who you are. And you come in here asking fellow board members for help?
Coming in to MY? Ironies of ironies.

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bros very funny le, the malaysia customs paste a sticker in my passport dunno is it to replace the white card? :biggrin: