• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
By 2014, maybe tuas will be as jammed, because many developments will be TOP by then. Watch the trend and decide later :smile:

I recently bought a place in Bukit Indah and it will be ready late next year or early 2014. My office is located in Woodlands and my current residence is at Bukit Panjang (BP). I am thinking of moving into JB and renting out my flat in Singapore and drive to work in Woodlands everyday. I must be at work between 8.30am to 9am and finish work around 6.30pm. Is it more advisable to travel by the Causeway since the distance is shorter? What is the jam situation like on weekdays? Is going through 2nd link even a viable option assuming I dont mind the distance but is the time savings worth while (I am assuming the jam in mornings and evenings at 2nd link is not as bad as Causeway). Any tips from those who are already doing the same i.e. work in SG, live in JB, would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I have been traveling in and out of JB recently on weekends and feel that I could really get used to living in JB.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Like to check with all,

For a new development, there are some nicks and retification works that the developer has to carry out, is it wise to pay in full for a sub sale house? As a 2nd owner would the house be still under "warranty" from the developer?

By paying full for a sub sale, are there any risk, would I recieve the title deed immediately from the developer?

Thanks in advance.

Most of the time (actually 99%), even if its within the 2 years, the developer can choose not to do any defects once its sold to another person(subsale). You are better off paying the rest to the owner only after securing his help to either rectify before final transaction or to use his help to get developer to fix any defects.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I do not have a driving license. Is a foreigner without a driving license allowed to buy a car and will the price of the car be at local rates or a higher rate for a foreigner. I read earlier that one can buy a car for 10K ringgit so this excites me because I have never own a car before. Your idea of hiring a MY driver to drive my car is very suitable for me when I stay in JB. Also why the AngMoh hire a driver to drive them into SG? Is it they also have no license like me? Thanks

You will need a driving license in most countries to buy a car. Same in MY as they need to get you insurance coverage etc. There is definitely no difference especially if you are buying a new car directly from the maker.

Example, Perodua, you go to Perodua sales office. Sometimes there are also seasonal discounts so do look out for it. Yes you definitely can still get cars easily here. Some of them prefer to be chauffered while others have PR in SG so they cannot drive MY car into SG which is why they use MY drivers to drive them in.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I recently bought a place in Bukit Indah and it will be ready late next year or early 2014. My office is located in Woodlands and my current residence is at Bukit Panjang (BP). I am thinking of moving into JB and renting out my flat in Singapore and drive to work in Woodlands everyday. I must be at work between 8.30am to 9am and finish work around 6.30pm. Is it more advisable to travel by the Causeway since the distance is shorter? What is the jam situation like on weekdays? Is going through 2nd link even a viable option assuming I dont mind the distance but is the time savings worth while (I am assuming the jam in mornings and evenings at 2nd link is not as bad as Causeway). Any tips from those who are already doing the same i.e. work in SG, live in JB, would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I have been traveling in and out of JB recently on weekends and feel that I could really get used to living in JB.

Welcome to the neighbourhood! :smile:
I would go to the first link route. Leave your place early, make it there around 5.30am to 6am and you should be fine.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Housing maintenance incurred for staying in Horizon Hills.. anything i missed out?

Monthly charges.
Water and Electrical Bills $130.00 / 312 RM
Garbage $39.00 / 93 RM
Security Guard Post $40.00 / 96 RM
House Maintenance $40.00 / 96 RM
Property Tax $14.50 / 34.8RM

Total $263.50 / 632.4RM

anything else i missed out?

any HHian can advise?

Thank you.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Re: Housing maintenance incurred for staying in Horizon Hills.. anything i missed out

Monthly charges.
Water and Electrical Bills $130.00 / 312 RM
Garbage $39.00 / 93 RM
Security Guard Post $40.00 / 96 RM
House Maintenance $40.00 / 96 RM
Property Tax $14.50 / 34.8RM

Total $263.50 / 632.4RM

anything else i missed out?

any HHian can advise?

Thank you.

A bit weird, a terrace is only about 90 RM, i don't pay anything more for the guard post nor house maintenance?
Electricity is about 200 plus. Property tax and the sewage is another one.

tonto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many thanks for your suggestions. Without sounding like a whiner, assuming I reach Causeway around 6am, it would mean my journey to work would take about 2.5 hours :eek: That requires some rethinking :( I did some calculations on the journey and going by 2nd link would mean additional traveling distance of 18.5km and would cost an additional S$15 per day. For a full month with 23 work days, that is an additional S$345 per month :*: If I could shave one hour from my traveling time using 2nd link, then its probably worthwhile. Otherwise either I use my JB place as a weekend home first or start adjusting to longer traveling times.

Bro Wuqi: Many thanks for starting this forum and sharing all that you know. You are super cool :cool:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Housing maintenance incurred for staying in Horizon Hills.. anything i missed out

A bit weird, a terrace is only about 90 RM, i don't pay anything more for the guard post nor house maintenance?
Electricity is about 200 plus. Property tax and the sewage is another one.

can you kindly enlighten how the proper finance of owning a terrace in HH is ?..
I remembered I have the list from the budgeting in this forum as well..

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Many thanks for your suggestions. Without sounding like a whiner, assuming I reach Causeway around 6am, it would mean my journey to work would take about 2.5 hours :eek: That requires some rethinking :( I did some calculations on the journey and going by 2nd link would mean additional traveling distance of 18.5km and would cost an additional S$15 per day. For a full month with 23 work days, that is an additional S$345 per month :*: If I could shave one hour from my traveling time using 2nd link, then its probably worthwhile. Otherwise either I use my JB place as a weekend home first or start adjusting to longer traveling times.

Bro Wuqi: Many thanks for starting this forum and sharing all that you know. You are super cool :cool:

Not to worry, the suggested time is to ensure you will be there 99% within 1 hour. If you are able to take doing a journey of 1.5 hours, then you can do it slightly later even at 6.30am or 7am. Anything above that would mean about a 1.5-2 hour drive.

travelmum

Re: Hiring a maid (Domestic Helper) in Johor Bahru.. How?..

Malaysia allows direct employment,so no need to go through agent,if you have contacts in indon its easier,and as bro wuqui mentioned its expensive to engage a local agent,if i am not wrong they are required to undergo a 200 hours training by our local agent.

I use direct employment,and engaged a indon agent to find for me.

Could you please share with me your indon agent as I am desperate to look for good maids without being fleeced by JB/KL:*:agents.

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Indo maid in malaysia now cost RM800 permonth, and limited supply...
not so easy to get.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Could you please share with me your indon agent as I am desperate to look for good maids without being fleeced by JB/KL:*:agents.

I am interested to know some as well..
intending to get a maid pretty soon as I am moving..

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me tell you 1 more bad news...
the demand is over supply now in malaysia.
got 10k+ application but indonesia just only supply 32 maid after 2 years plus ban....
not 1% also.
Do you think can easily get a maid??
i feel that the price will go up as they compare with other country.
Indonesia maid salary in different country as all in RM:
Malaysia: 800
Singapore: 1500
HongKong: 2500++
Canada: 5000 (with 8 hours working perday only, extra time will be consider OT)

Get all this news from Radio (myfm)

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me tell you 1 more bad news...
the demand is over supply now in malaysia.
got 10k+ application but indonesia just only supply 32 maid after 2 years plus ban....
not 1% also.
Do you think can easily get a maid??
i feel that the price will go up as they compare with other country.
Indonesia maid salary in different country as all in RM:
Malaysia: 800
Singapore: 1500
HongKong: 2500++
Canada: 5000 (with 8 hours working perday only, extra time will be consider OT)

Get all this news from Radio (myfm)

is it that serious?

Illegal hire i think easier.. my property agent is doing illegal hire. means that he hire maid himself..
no need go through the darn agent and incurred stupid cost..

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

is it that serious?

Illegal hire i think easier.. my property agent is doing illegal hire. means that he hire maid himself..
no need go through the darn agent and incurred stupid cost..

Better do not do this in malaysia.
I can tell you what will be the most dangerous thing u will going to be done.

Last time, my house also got maid, from legal way. sometimes see some illegal construction indo guy wondering around outside the house.
if ur maid know them, and let them in the house and steal all the thing will consider lucky.
if the maid open door and let them in at night and when u r sleeping. what will happen?
What malaysia biggest problem is too many illegal indo worker. (many of the robbery is done by them).

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better do not do this in malaysia.
I can tell you what will be the most dangerous thing u will going to be done.

Last time, my house also got maid, from legal way. sometimes see some illegal construction indo guy wondering around outside the house.
if ur maid know them, and let them in the house and steal all the thing will consider lucky.
if the maid open door and let them in at night and when u r sleeping. what will happen?
What malaysia biggest problem is too many illegal indo worker. (many of the robbery is done by them).

even if u go through agency also the same .. they can do this to you right?

what do u think is the best way then?

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

even if u go through agency also the same .. they can do this to you right?

what do u think is the best way then?

Going through agent will reduce the risk as the maid may not know the people around.
if illegal the, they maybe know more guy around your area.

Best way, for me is go through agent.
Treat her as 1 of ur family member.
do not scold her. let her feel like home.
so when she do anything also not willing to do lo.

Or get some police friend visit ur house. and let ur police friend warn her about i'm eyes on u.
Threaten them lo...
haha.

Or do it ur self without maid.
if u lucky and ur father or mother stay together, they normally will help you done all the house work la.

As malaysia is very different with singapore.
If they do something in Singapore, then have no place to hide.

But if the done something and go hide in some village. how to track them out?
so better to be safe.

Last edited:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Going through agent will reduce the risk as the maid may not know the people around.
if illegal the, they maybe know more guy around your area.

Best way, for me is go through agent.
Treat her as 1 of ur family member.
do not scold her. let her feel like home.
so when she do anything also not willing to do lo.

Or get some police friend visit ur house. and let ur police friend warn her about i'm eyes on u.
Threaten them lo...
haha.

Or do it ur self without maid.
if u lucky and ur father or mother stay together, they normally will help you done all the house work la.

As malaysia is very different with singapore.
If they do something in Singapore, then have no place to hide.

But if the done something and go hide in some village. how to track them out?
so better to be safe.
noted and thank you!