• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

Javier

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Should I take loan from SG bank or MY bank?

Javier, like Reds, I'd consider it a no-brainer if you are indeed eligible. Sharp differential in interest rates, relative stability of SGD vs MYR (if anything, possible appreciation of SGD vs MYR).

But if I take loan in SG, the if SGD appreciates against MYR, I lose. No?

Sadako

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Can I bring my live arowana from sg to MY?

how much is the market price in singapore for these beautiful fish ? if the price is good maybe you guys can breed them and make some extra income . i started breeding animals when i was 16 years old to support my studies and hobby .

Usual price is around 100+ depending on breed I think. Good idea, but breeding needs alot of time and effort, wish I have it.

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

bro..if the female refuse to let the male mate means she is not ready and not on heat ...no problem bro , i just share my experience here as a breeder .

Bro u really PHD on breeding.... So u having yr own pet shop??

How about rearing pigs or goat or cow for human consumption ?? Good biz also.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Should I take loan from SG bank or MY bank?

Indeed, loan from the lower interest rate bank, so SG bank.

Also the advantage of utilising CPF funds.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Bro u really PHD on breeding.... So u having yr own pet shop??

How about rearing pigs or goat or cow for human consumption ?? Good biz also.

bro..i own a farm and a petshop . breeding animals for food is not as good money as breeding animals for pets .

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sorry bro, I have no clues on the prices ... so sorrie

Current prices of Aros has dropped lately as many breeders are into it. Understand that Singapore dealers prefer to import from Malaysia and sell. Not too sure about Aros as I don't know much about them but there are so many grades like durians. Some say they expect the price to go down by another 20%.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros pls recommend ISP like MIO Tv or starhub 3 in 1 package...

Moving in next month don't know where to apply home phone, what is the best ISP like MIO tv or starhub 3 in 1 .... Phone, Internet, cable tv...

Many Thks......

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Re: Bros pls recommend ISP like MIO Tv or starhub 3 in 1 package...

Moving in next month don't know where to apply home phone, what is the best ISP like MIO tv or starhub 3 in 1 .... Phone, Internet, cable tv...

Many Thks......

Best is Unifi as it has all the stuff you need. Basic channels though as the base package but gives you phone, internet (really good speed) and channels to watch. There is one booth outside HH township currently but you can apply for them easily by calling TM. Downside is that for foreigners, they will need to take 1k RM deposit. Also some areas may not have Unifi so you may have to use Streamyx which takes care of your Phone and Internet. Still have to get Astro separately though.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Best is Unifi as it has all the stuff you need. Basic channels though as the base package but gives you phone, internet (really good speed) and channels to watch. There is one booth outside HH township currently but you can apply for them easily by calling TM. Downside is that for foreigners, they will need to take 1k RM deposit. Also some areas may not have Unifi so you may have to use Streamyx which takes care of your Phone and Internet. Still have to get Astro separately though.

Roger bro, thks for the precious infor..

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

No prob, today very "cough blood" but anyway going to bed now. Streamyx is good but Unifi is really better IMHO.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: How will hdb know if you have property in msia?

I think Hong Leong Bank is run by Singapore HL's boss's Malaysian cousin and not owned by Singapore HL

Asian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Newbie to JB properties

Hi Seniors,

I just happen to read up a few days ago in this sub folder.
I'll be going into JB this coming Friday to recce a few places mentioned here by Wuqi256. Namely, Horizon Hill and Mont Calista.
To buy a place for my parent to retire.
Just a few noob questions.

1. Is there showroom to view? Or are there new units and/or leftover units for sales? Open on holiday?
2. Can SG buy a MY car and drive in MY?
3. Those 2 mentioned places, are they retirees friendly without transport?
4. What is the mininum cash upfront to buy a property in JB, all in, including deposit + other fees?

Thanks.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Re: Newbie to JB properties

Hi Seniors,

I just happen to read up a few days ago in this sub folder.
I'll be going into JB this coming Friday to recce a few places mentioned here by Wuqi256. Namely, Horizon Hill and Mont Calista.
To buy a place for my parent to retire.
Just a few noob questions.

1. Is there showroom to view? Or are there new units and/or leftover units for sales? Open on holiday?
2. Can SG buy a MY car and drive in MY?
3. Those 2 mentioned places, are they retirees friendly without transport?
4. What is the mininum cash upfront to buy a property in JB, all in, including deposit + other fees?

Thanks.

There are a lot of other options for housing as well.
Depends on which development. There are still some in HH.

Yes, definitely can buy a MY car, you can get International driving license from SG and use it to drive in MY. Most get by without getting this.

Better to get Nusa Duta or some condos such as Skyloft as they are near enough to walk to amenities without transport.

Depends on your loan, for a 500k RM property, you may need about about 130k RM on average if you get only 80% loan from banks and taking into account the 10k levy, stamp duty as well as legal fees. This is not taking into account renovation but of course, you can definitely look at renovating at your own time.

For more information, please read up on the thread as there are other discussion topics like insurance, MRTA, etc.

Asian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Newbie to JB properties

Hi Wuqi256,

Thanks for the info.
I'll read up the rest.
I find that if 500k can get either a landed or condo, I might as well get a landed property.
I'm also looking out for property at Austin Hill, possibly near to jesco. Do you know of any new development there?
I've tried searching at propertyguru and iproperty, but nothing interesting came out.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear all, this was long overdue, please post all newbie questions here.

This is also the place for basic information(bros who see such questions or people who don't have the time to read up, please help to direct them here):

All prices referred here are in RM unless otherwise specified.

I will contribute first:

Some information from first hand experience.

1. Yes you can buy a house, condo and even shops/factories here.
2. The first 2 houses, you can get 80% or higher loan here, the third one onwards you can only get 70% loan
3. Yes, you can definitely get a MY car here. MY car loan you can definitely get, normally 70-80%. 9 years loans are very common. Yes, you can drive a MY car here
4. A second hand car can be purchased for 10k RM or less. A typical sedan (Proton) costs about 40 plus k. Road tax can be as low as 90 for a 1.6l car or 800 plus for a 2.5 l turbo diesel.
5. You can definitely buy pork here. Wild boar meat, go to Perling wet market (behind Perling Mall)
6. For residential house, you need to buy at least 500k and above. It needs to be at least 2 storey and above as well.
7. For commercial shops, you need to buy at least 3 storey and above.
8. You can get loans easily from local Malaysian banks, not all International banks are good here.
9. MRTA is a type of insurance which is similar to the DPS scheme in SG
10. Fire insurance will normally be part of your loan package (where you normally pay)
11. Banks that allows foreigners to have current account, HLB (formely EON bank, which incidentally was easier), Alliance bank, etc.
12. Good bank to have on your side if you encounter financial difficulties - Maybank
13. Good bank to consider for housing/commercial loans - Maybank, Public Bank, HLB, OCBC
14. Good bank for car loans - Ambank
15. East Ledang, Horizon Hills, Nusa Idaman, Nusa Duta, Laguna are amongst the more well known developments
16. Avoid the government run developers where possible, you have little recourse if they promise you something but reneged
17. Use your own lawyer where possible in subsale/resale scenarios, use own lawyer if you doubt the developers guys
18. Get MACS from the CIQ/Danga Bay and bring with you, colour passport size photographs. It allows you to stay here for 30 days. Last for a year and is 30 RM. Need at least 13 months validity on your passport. Sometimes Jusco will have a booth where you can do it with just your passport(no need photographs)
19. Yes you can drive an MY or SG car to the border crossing to SG and then make a U turn after exiting MY and coming back again. There is nothing on your passport normally even if you get to SG (if you are using SG passport) so the customs at MY will not bother. Its better if you have MACS, that way your travel to and fro will be easier and faster. MACS is only for Johore use and restricted to the main border points between SG and Johore.
20. Avoid contractor/ID recommentation from the developers or the agent. Compare and do your renovation slowly, never feel forced or coerced into making fast decisions.
21. Again use the developer or buy direct whenever possible.
22. Buy gated and guarded whenever possible, despite some claims, G&G is still better than having no guards.
23. Check the DMC or documents for a Strata title to verify your rights and obligations when making a purchase, ask developer for a sample copy.
24. Tesco has alot of useful items: Large baseball bat type of steering wheel lock (60 RM or less), pepper spray (13.90 RM). Daiso has useful magnetic alarms that are activated when you pull them apart(5 RM) Useful for windows, sliding doors and the top of your 2nd floor where a trapdoor is for roof access.
25. Get CCTV and make friends with your neighbours whenever possible. Malaysians generally are very nice and warm once you get to know them.
26. Some developments have 80/20 rule where you can only buy under a quota.
27. Avoid any housing built on agricultural/bumiputra land, buy only those that are on international gazetted lots or for foreign ownership
30. If even one name is from a foreigner buying a property though the rest are all Malaysians, you will still be subjected to foreign levy.

vintay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I'm new here ..as just brought a unit at HH..now problem is can't find a way to remittance money from sg to MY, which time need to bring a lot of cash in.feel not safe.