• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Just obtained my driving license need some advice... (travelling SG to JB,to and

Maybe 2 if its really more fuel efficient. Buy OPC and get the new scheme.

is there a reason why you are recommending OPC ?

I have to reach Clementi area by 7:00am every morning, leaving from Horizon Hills so I do not have to pay S$20 to use OPC during peak hour..

Means, I got to leave at probably 5:00am? :P

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Re: Just obtained my driving license need some advice... (travelling SG to JB,to and

No particular reason. :wink:
5.30am should be quite safe.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe you are new driver.. but mine is less $800++ with 50%NCD for a mid size car from Aviva..
I guess $3800 is too much.. Do get a few quotes to compare..

ok thanks.. :biggrin:

my insurance is crazy.. quoting me $3800 for comprehensive..

ODYSSEY

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats LGLab on your driving licence - things are slowly looking up - happy for you!

Wuqi is right, OPC may suit you better. You can use your bike for daily travelling to and from work; that way you do not need to wake up so early. Keep your OPC car in JB for use in JB and driving back to SG on weekends.

Yup, the insurance is about there for you as you r a new driver and also you dont have the No Claim Bonus (NCB) yet. And yes, age also plays a part. Like Arsenal said, get a few quotes to compare

Last edited:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe you are new driver.. but mine is less $800++ with 50%NCD for a mid size car from Aviva..
I guess $3800 is too much.. Do get a few quotes to compare..

yup, i only got my license yesterday..

i have another quote from NTUC offering me $2508..

0% NCB .. i am only driving 989cc kenari ..

Last edited:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats LGLab on your driving licence - things are slowly looking up - happy for you!

Wuqi is right, OPC may suit you better. You can use your bike for daily travelling to and from work; that way you do not need to wake up so early. Keep your OPC car in JB for use in JB and driving back to SG on weekends.

Yup, the insurance is about there for you as you r a new driver and also you dont have the No Claim Bonus (NCB) yet. And yes, age also plays a part. Like Arsenal said, get a few quotes to compare

Thanks!
ok.. initially thought of getting normal plate..

hmm... ok then opc sounds more budget for me..

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am intending to live in JB soon in a condo unit, renting from a relative, near Bukit Indah area.

I would probably buy a used car in JB for daily use there and travel back to SG by bus regularly.

My questions -

Which bus service is the most convenient for JB/SIN and returning SIN/JB ?

Can I drive the JB car to the bus terminal and leave it there for a few days without worry on the car's safety ?

Alternatively, are there reliable taxi services from the bus terminal to and from Bukit Indah area? That way I just leave the car in the condo.

Look forward to some kind advice.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am intending to live in JB soon in a condo unit, renting from a relative, near Bukit Indah area.

I would probably buy a used car in JB for daily use there and travel back to SG by bus regularly.

My questions -

Which bus service is the most convenient for JB/SIN and returning SIN/JB ?

Can I drive the JB car to the bus terminal and leave it there for a few days without worry on the car's safety ?

Alternatively, are there reliable taxi services from the bus terminal to and from Bukit Indah area? That way I just leave the car in the condo.

u can try CW3... from Bt Indah to Jurong East
But bare in mind the cost $4 to MY and 5RM to SG .. daily..
these will be adding cost as well..
do take note of that..

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

u can try CW3... from Bt Indah to Jurong East
But bare in mind the cost $4 to MY and 5RM to SG .. daily..
these will be adding cost as well..
do take note of that..

I'm OK with the fare cost cos I'll be only travelling about 2 or 3 times a month.
So my question is where can I park the car for free in Bukit Indah area for a few days?
On the roadside? Once I parked for about 30 mins outside the Alliance Bank alongside Giant in Bukit Indah, I got a RM30 ticket!
The carpark inside the Aeon shopping centre is chargable.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm OK with the fare cost cos I'll be only travelling about 2 or 3 times a month.
So my question is where can I park the car for free in Bukit Indah area for a few days?
On the roadside? Once I parked for about 30 mins outside the Alliance Bank alongside Giant in Bukit Indah, I got a RM30 ticket!
The carpark inside the Aeon shopping centre is chargable.

Tesco car park is free, don't know whether can park for a few days though. There is also a car park next to the new CW3 terminal in Bukit indah, think that is free too.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tesco car park is free, don't know whether can park for a few days though. There is also a car park next to the new CW3 terminal in Bukit indah, think that is free too.

So the CW3 also stops over at the Tesco. Where is the bus stop located?

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)

Hi, I am considering cars like

1. Kia Picanto
2. Perodua Kenari
3. Proton Savvy

All these are budget cars i feel .. are they suffice to allow me to travel daily from JB to SG , to and fro?

On top that, should i buy a normal or a OPC car plate?

hope living in JB people can advise.

Thank you..

Yes agree if you are on a budget bor pian do get a msian make car,kenari,myvi or savvy,
touch wood,just in case if you get into a minor accident or if some parts came off or koyak,fret not
their carworkshop has plentiful of spare parts easily availiable.
and yes OPC for you too.

another good idea is if you are not married get a msian wife or gf,buy a msian car and ask her to sent and fetch you to and from work,
but she must be willing and happy to sacrifice for you,if she is not happy and make noise then dump her and
run as fast as you can...i've a 2 friend staying at bukit indah/pelangi doing that so far so good but happy ending yet to be seen
i think quite hard...my friend says brillant idea but i tink better forgo this silly idea lah.:smile:

crazy...gila..siao..too much..:eek:

please don't leave your car for a few days anywhere in msia except your own condo carpark
1st time you may be lucky,2nd or 3rd time very very good chance your poor car may get cannibalise.:smile:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have just made a deposit of a Perodua Kenari from a direct seller.
He is selling it for S$24,500 for a normal plate.

I took up the offer.. condition of the car seems pretty good to me.. This tuesday going AA to do an inspection, if rating is good. i will proceed for loan with the bank myself..

Is singapura Finance having the low interest of 1.6% PA for used cars?... hmmm that is better than the usual 1.88% rate...

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

yup, i only got my license yesterday..

i have another quote from NTUC offering me $2508..

0% NCB .. i am only driving 989cc kenari ..

I remember AA provided insurance advise and services the last time I visited their web. May be you could get more quotes there for comparison. The premium may be cheap but the insurer may have high Excess clause:

Quote:

Why should there be an excess?
The insurer normally imposes some excess as this would serve as a form of co-insurance. With an excess, the insured would tend to be more careful because if a claims
occur, the insured also has to be out of pocket and contribute towards the claim. In general, the higher the excess, the more careful would be the insured and hence the
lower risk of having a claim.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

May I know which ins co quoted such a premium? Seems ridiculous for an average car. My car ins is 900+ with excess clause $600 from liberty

Geminipegasus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can, don't worry. You just need to hire a part/full time driver or ask one of your local neighbours to drive you in when in emergency. Lots of people do that and build up good rapport with neighbours and friends here or do what like the ang mo are doing, bought their own MY car and then hire a MY driver to drive them into SG. First 10 times entry is free, after that must pay S$20 - 25 per entry (5 dollars extra is for ERP wholeday)

I do not have a driving license. Is a foreigner without a driving license allowed to buy a car and will the price of the car be at local rates or a higher rate for a foreigner. I read earlier that one can buy a car for 10K ringgit so this excites me because I have never own a car before. Your idea of hiring a MY driver to drive my car is very suitable for me when I stay in JB. Also why the AngMoh hire a driver to drive them into SG? Is it they also have no license like me? Thanks

Geminipegasus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I like to ask whether there is any advantage to take a loan over paying up given that the interest rate in MY is quite high.

tonto

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently bought a place in Bukit Indah and it will be ready late next year or early 2014. My office is located in Woodlands and my current residence is at Bukit Panjang (BP). I am thinking of moving into JB and renting out my flat in Singapore and drive to work in Woodlands everyday. I must be at work between 8.30am to 9am and finish work around 6.30pm. Is it more advisable to travel by the Causeway since the distance is shorter? What is the jam situation like on weekdays? Is going through 2nd link even a viable option assuming I dont mind the distance but is the time savings worth while (I am assuming the jam in mornings and evenings at 2nd link is not as bad as Causeway). Any tips from those who are already doing the same i.e. work in SG, live in JB, would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I have been traveling in and out of JB recently on weekends and feel that I could really get used to living in JB.