• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taiwan Has 三太子 Icon - what does sinkieland have?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Taiwanese are very passionate with their 三太子 icon internationally. What is an icon that we singkies are passionate about and proud of?

[video=youtube;tNDWyUsbSW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNDWyUsbSW8[/video]

IMG_2234001.jpg

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So this is 三太子。My wife and I were holidaying at Taiwan's Yilan, at a fruit orchard resort and they had this night activity of making glutinous ball(汤圆) and making floating lanterns(孔明灯)
Before the activity started, they had this short performance to bring good luck and prosperity and instead of 财神爷,this三太子appeared. I was still thinking why they used a 大头娃娃instead of the usual 财神爷as most Singaporeans have been accustomed to.

Singapore also have a very famous idol/icon. When you go overseas and speak to the locals in their country, they might not know where is Singapore, but they knew who is this man. Unfortunately, this man had outstay his welcome :biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinking land also have 大太子,二太子 and 大公主 from 天下第一家

Raiders: regarding the broken glass, you can go to any glass shop to do the glass. There's 2 shop near IKEA queensway. One is a corner shop near the hawker centre. Another shop is opposite Alexandra hospital. Hope the info is still valid now.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In the past many glass shops around mostly run by indians and they sell mirrors too. This is like a lost trade.

Raiders: regarding the broken glass, you can go to any glass shop to do the glass. There's 2 shop near IKEA queensway. One is a corner shop near the hawker centre. Another shop is opposite Alexandra hospital. Hope the info is still valid now.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this guy was interviewed by the taiwan media and variety show. he is a U student travelling on a tight budget.
he faced problems with individual country authority.
asking why he decided to do this? his answer is he wants the whole know who is taiwan.

in sinkapore, the teens will tell you jiak bah liao.:eek:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks joetys for sharing the video..nice and very inspiring..

Yes, the Taiwanese are very passionate about their temple cultures. Unless they are Christians, the rest will tell you excitedly about their temple processions esp those involving Mazu niang niang..the third prince is part of the Taiweanese hokkien temple culture which they have personified into a child deity that bring happiness, joy, luck to everyone just like santa claus. As with easy-going folk Taoism, these San Tai Zi dolls will danced to the beat of dance music called Dian Yin San Tai Zi and it is a integral part of Taiwanese temple processions and festivities.

I think this san tai zi thing is also getting popular with Singapore temples..they had it in Chinatown Lunar New Year lightup celebrations this year.

jw5

Loyal
Sinkies have Zorro, master of stating the obvious and making motherhood statements, defender of your cpf statement, singer, dancer, english language tutor.

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such country call Taiwan, Taiwan is just a province of China

RonRon ===>>>There is no such country call Taiwan, Taiwan is just a province of China===>>>

|||||||||||||||
VVVVVVVVVVVV

[video=youtube;nA0CIxW4c2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA0CIxW4c2c[/video]

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks joetys for sharing the video..nice and very inspiring..

Yes, the Taiwanese are very passionate about their temple cultures. Unless they are Christians, the rest will tell you excitedly about their temple processions esp those involving Mazu niang niang..the third prince is part of the Taiweanese hokkien temple culture which they have personified into a child deity that bring happiness, joy, luck to everyone just like santa claus. As with easy-going folk Taoism, these San Tai Zi dolls will danced to the beat of dance music called Dian Yin San Tai Zi and it is a integral part of Taiwanese temple processions and festivities.

I think this san tai zi thing is also getting popular with Singapore temples..they had it in Chinatown Lunar New Year lightup celebrations this year.

Hi fighter, thanks for the revelation. I am actually not familiar with this despite my 4-5 trip per year to Taiwan. Thanks a lot. Not I appreciate Taiwan culture more.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
..... Singapore also have a very famous idol/icon. When you go overseas and speak to the locals in their country, they might not know where is Singapore, but they knew who is this man. Unfortunately, this man had outstay his welcome :biggrin:

To be fair, many Singaporeans have contributed their time, energy and money to many poorer parts of Asia to help the people improve their life. Many are young Singaporeans from secondary schools, polytechnics and universities which made it as part of their social obligation to the world community.

Together with the students, there are also many working adults who contributed their time and money in building better homes, clearing polluted canals, digging wells, teaching and healing - and bonding with the local communities. These are the unsung and unpublicised local heroes. It's not a ONE MAN show, but a collective shared effort by these young Singaporeans. They don't go about consciously getting the media to publicise their contributions.

I am not talking about the Singapore government, SIF or Singapore Red Cross helping with money, medicines, food - but ordinary citizens, our own children. May be RAIDERS are unaware of such efforts, or have never experienced any such volunteer work before.

As Singaporeans and as parents of these volunteers, we should be proud that our fellow citizens are playing a very responsible role in their growing up process. As a quote from the 2nd video so humbly puts it : "We went to India to build a house, but realised that we were the ones that were build up instead."

GVGT, here is one example randomly taken from Youtube - ordinary secondary school students helping to make life better for residents in a leprosy village (in Chinese). (Here in Singapore, there are some who do not want elderly studio apartments built close to their block!)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ixa8mk8yEMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another student volunteer group helping out in an Indian village (Habitat for Humanity) :
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-D2USXrUcH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As to the famous icon, I have expressed about that before long ago in this forum - he is more famous than Singapore is as a country. Even American and the European CEOs and statesmen that I encountered never failed to admire him.

"Overstay his welcome?" It would be very foolish for anyone to think so when many statesmen of far larger countries and renowned international organisations are still tapping his brain for ideas and opinions. It would be foolhardly to think that the stones out there are better than the gem in our own house or backyard. Some young or unenlightened children at one time or another think that their father and mother are stupid.

How are we going to face the world when we do not recognise - or worse - despise the value of our own family members or people?

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Thanks brother chonburific :smile:
Bought two painting in Vietnam at sgd 25 each(overpaid) and when I came back to Singapore, saw a shop selling similar painting from Vietnam except is double price. The gallery owner quoted me sgd1300 :biggrin:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
you sound like retired primary school principal, were you one before?

Do I sound like your mother, or father? These are values we uphold in our family, our community - regardless of our political inclination. When you become a responsible parent some day, you will cherish these things in yourself, and your children - and for generations to come.