• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ah Tiong MOE Scholar: '' I''ll break bond if ICA rejected my PR application again"'

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NTU MOE PRC scholar threatens to break bond and return to China for good if his PR application is rejected again

Source : Posted by temasektimes on March 14, 2012

Bond-breaking among foreign scholars appears to be a common phenomenon nowadays which the Singapore government can do little to prevent as large amount of public funds continues to get ‘wasted’ on nurturing foreigners instead of locals.

chinanews.com carried a feature in January this year on the plight of PRC scholars studying in Singapore who were left in limbo after the government halted its usual practice of sending them invitation letters to apply for Singapore PR upon graduation.

Without the letter, it is more difficult for these scholars to find a stable well-paying job in Singapore.

24 year old Dong Zhi Hong (董志鸿) graduated from Shenyang University in 2009 and came to study his Masters in Nanyang Technological University on a Singapore government scholarship which required him to work in Singapore for three years upon graduation.

Unlike Singaporeans who have to pay through their noses to study for a Master Degree in NTU, Mr Dong not only studied at NTU for free, he was also given a generous living and housing allowance.

PRC scholars are ‘automatically’ invited to become a Singapore PR upon graduation. However, because of the abrupt change in the government’s immigration policies, not only did Mr Dong not receive the ‘standard’ invitation letter from ICA, his PR application was rejected twice in 2010 and 2011.
Mr Dong said he intends to apply for Singapore PR this year and if it is rejected again, he will break his bond and return to China for good, stressing the bond will not be a factor.
“I know Singaporeans now feel there are too many foreigners, but Singapore also need foreigners at the same time,” he added.

(今年他打算再申请一次永久居民,若还是被拒就会索性回中国,而奖学金合约也将不是限制他的因素。他说:“我知道本地人认为现在外来人口太多,但新加坡同时也需要外国人。”)

Mr Dong proposed the ICA should change the criteria for prospective immigrants:

“Those construction workers, laborers holding work permits will not immigrate as they just want to earn more money and return home. Only highly educated talents will consider immigration. ICA should spell out the criteria clearly. Which type of people has no hope? What are the reasons for an application being rejected?”

(董志鸿认为,移民与关卡局应改变现有的移民程序。他说:“那些做基础建设、持工作准证的外劳基本上不会移民,因为他们只想多赚一点钱衣锦还乡。想移民的人,其实是接受过高等教育的高端人才。然而,当局却没有一个移民标准。什么样的人没有希望?申请被拒是因为什么原因?往后应该如何补救?完全没有方向感。”)

The government should reveal the number of foreign scholars who break their bonds each year as well as the costs incurred. A foreigner studying in a Singapore university is a place deprived for a local. More resources should be diverted to ensure Singaporeans and NOT foreigners get a quality tertiary education here.

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Ah Tiong MOE Scholar: '' I''ll break bond if ICA rejected my PR application again

Break lor, mai patch back hor.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Ah Tiong MOE Scholar: '' I''ll break bond if ICA rejected my PR application again

now any tom dick harry PRC can threaten the govt?:eek:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ah hong ... u break bond who kena? ... pity ur sureties ...

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

yes, as long as they are FT no problem.

but local boys do it sure kenna hantum jialat jialat.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Break lor, mai patch back hor.

hi there

1. thambi, bingo!
2. such dog thinks pretty highly of itself.
3. dogs are still dogs, here or chineyland.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eh.. ICA would not reject his application for no apparent reason. Someone should look into why. I'm pretty sure this guy must have done something to warrant him as a undesirable candidate.

Sigh.. I really don't understand. It is not as if our job market is flooded with positions. Why are we paying to invite them to live and study for free and mandate that they must steal jobs that could have gone to Singaporeans and depress the salaries further? Especially when most of them cannot seem decent English.

More and more, Singapore looks like this big bubble that is about to burst. So many of our economic successful seems to be artificial

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

So who was the fark that had asked for such backlash onto themselves?

Your own Pappy govt, right?

So the PRC is only given the fark to ride free on your the willingness of your Sinkie gov and now your Sinkie gov, being pressured on both sides, on one side the voters and the other side their once cherished FTs , isn't it?

I say, your Sinkie gov deserve what you sow.:biggrin:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

hi there

1. thambi, bingo!
2. such dog thinks pretty highly of itself.
3. dogs are still dogs, here or chineyland.

Hi there

1) you got fucked and yet you don't know, meh?
2) After getting fucked by your gov and PRCs, you still think so highly of yourself?
3) You are labelled dogs becos ..YOU ASKED FOR IT!

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

NTU MOE PRC scholar threatens to break bond and return to China for good if his PR application is rejected again

“I know Singaporeans now feel there are too many foreigners, but Singapore also need foreigners at the same time,” he added.

Singapore don't need foreigners. It's PAP who need them to stay in power.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

But SINkess voters espeically 60% are hairless, balless & brainless, dark not raise their voices or lower their rears!! what a difference it makes!!

jw5

Loyal

Promise?........

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Throughout the 90s until about 5 years ago, the PAPzis had enticed FTs to study here with scholarships and strong hints (if not 'promises') of permanent residency. To make them 'stay and contribute', the FTs had to agree to work in Singapore for 3 years, and were made to sign a bond to that effect. Unlike the more usual bonds, however, these did not come with jobs, i.e. they had to look for their own jobs. The definition of 'working in Singapore' was also vague. An FT could be hired in Singapore by an MNC and sent out of Sg for the whole 3 years.

When sentiments against their policies turned bad (and the expected numbers of FTs becoming citizens did not materialize) the PAPzis began playing with 'rejections', i.e. they made it a point to reject PR applications at least once. And in some cases, the applications were rejected altogether. They did this to assuage Singaporean unhappiness over the issue. Anyone thinking that the PAPzis had a rational objective policy of who to accept or reject can think again. But that is another story.

In any case, the FTs are thus caught in a Catch-22 situation. They don't get PR but have to serve a bond. In order to serve the bond they need to get a job but in order to get a job they need PR (unless they are super-duper); and in order to get PR, they need a job.

It seems many people (FTs and Singaporeans) have a lot to 'thank' the PAPzis for.

qwerty

Alfrescian
Loyal

Throughout the 90s until about 5 years ago, the PAPzis had enticed FTs to study here with scholarships and strong hints (if not 'promises') of permanent residency. To make them 'stay and contribute', the FTs had to agree to work in Singapore for 3 years, and were made to sign a bond to that effect. Unlike the more usual bonds, however, these did not come with jobs, i.e. they had to look for their own jobs. The definition of 'working in Singapore' was also vague. An FT could be hired in Singapore by an MNC and sent out of Sg for the whole 3 years.

When sentiments against their policies turned bad (and the expected numbers of FTs becoming citizens did not materialize) the PAPzis began playing with 'rejections', i.e. they made it a point to reject PR applications at least once. And in some cases, the applications were rejected altogether. They did this to assuage Singaporean unhappiness over the issue. Anyone thinking that the PAPzis had a rational objective policy of who to accept or reject can think again. But that is another story.

In any case, the FTs are thus caught in a Catch-22 situation. They don't get PR but have to serve a bond. In order to serve the bond they need to get a job but in order to get a job they need PR (unless they are super-duper); and in order to get PR, they need a job.

It seems many people (FTs and Singaporeans) have a lot to 'thank' the PAPzis for.

you pretty much got to the gist of the issue here...

and the tiong is also not wrong in saying ICA needs to spell out criteria clearly...
and reasons for rejection.

but ICA wants to play GOD.
1) Give hope to the hopeless.. the hopeless can pray to deities (in this case the MPs)
2) Hide behind the shadowy bureaucracy where they dun have to answer to rejections to suit the political purposes of the day

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mr Dong said he intends to apply for Singapore PR this year and if it is rejected again, he will break his bond and return to China for good, stressing the bond will not be a factor.

The PRC wants to get PR so that can buy flat izzit. :mad:

There were many PRs I knew that bought flat from HDB and later sold their flat for a big fat profit, took all their CPF money and left Singapore for good to Australia, Canada or US.

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal

should be better for him, no need to pay back since he got rejected for PR. those cheapo PRC not surprise ???, even if he does get PR I'am sure he will take SIN as a stepping stone

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

The PRC wants to get PR so that can buy flat izzit. :mad:

alamak... lobang pecah... should give this PRC Citizenship directly? :(:(:(

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't actually blame the guy for moaning. After all, it was our government who asked him to come here to study. However, I find it strange that he needs to break his bond since if I recall from various anecdotes from my PRC friends in uni, the authorities actually go out of their way to find jobs for them if they are really desperate.

Some even get jobs back in China where they are paid a very generous wage. Perhaps things has changed since I graduated 6 years ago.

As for the policy to attract so-called foreign scholars here to study, I would terminate it without hesitation. The PAP is just papering over the cracks since the problem isn't the people being put into the schooling system, it is the schooling system which is the problem.

Last edited: