• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queenstown Today

youth123

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the early days, Princess House was the Min of Education before it shifted to Kay Siang Road. Behind the Princess House, there were a hawker centre & community centre.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forfar Square was known as 7 floor whereas Commonwealth Crescent was known as 16 floor, Tanglin Halt was known as 10 floor. There used to have a fountain near Tanglin Halt road junction. The Queenstown/Queensway cinema had KFC on the 2nd floor.
Stirling Road was 12 floor/storey.........made famous by Eric Khoo's movie 12 storey

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forfar Square was known as 7 floor whereas Commonwealth Crescent was known as 16 floor, Tanglin Halt was known as 10 floor. There used to have a fountain near Tanglin Halt road junction. The Queenstown/Queensway cinema had KFC on the 2nd floor.

Forfar House (SIT Flat) was known as Chap Si Lao and flats surrounding it were 7 storey.
1st HDB satellite town comprising Commonwealth and Tanglin Halt were built in the 60's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenstown,_Singapore#Forfar_Heights

Last edited:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the early days, Princess House was the Min of Education before it shifted to Kay Siang Road. Behind the Princess House, there were a hawker centre & community centre.

Many years later it was to housed a very sensitive gov organization.....:smile:

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
同心居 magaret drive shanghainese cuisine - i believe its the famous spicy sour soup & dumpling.

try this number = 96623501

its not me hor...i just happened to copy it down before it was torn down.

brudders who managed to call them pls post here where they are.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Roger that will ask fishball noodle stall later, son selling now at Mei Ling street market he good friend of my bro.
Are you refering to the 新路?fishball noodle. The boss who wear a big gold bracelet on the ground floor of hawker centre?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even though I'm a East side boy but I got a soft spot for Margaret Drive.. Years back I used to go to the Prison staff quarters to meet up with my friend who stays there since his dad was an ASP at the Old QRP.. I remembered Queenstown for its laidback charrm and its good food.. 8 years ago, when I was courting this lady, I used to fetch her from the old SEAB building at Margaret Drive.. I would wait for her at the Queenstown MRT bus stop and then we would go for dinner at the coffeshop under the old blocks.. And of course Queensway shopping centre.. One of my favourite places to chill out when skipping from school...

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On other side of coin, also see new high rise condos, HDBs in neighborhood over recent years. Strathmore is no longer with low rise 3/4 storey old public housing flats.

And there's new Alexandra canal park parallel to Margaret Drive, all the way to River Valley. Quite scenic, good for jogging and cycling. Maybe thread starter can go paktor there too

Nostalgia includes old golf driving range (next to prison) and some sports club there in more recent times (think kena caught with some short lived sexy coyotes show as some1 blew whistle kns). Prison had some notable inmates, MCA politician Tan K Swan and Christopher Lee (drunk driving). Not sure if the library still open, with cafe ironically named Galilee (with churches nearby)

And bit further on, it's also becoming Singapore's 'Detroit' with new car showrooms. Euro styled Merc showroom is one. Opposite Ikea, you have old Anchorage (many freebie beer parties courtesy Tiger Beer brewery) now surbarban mall and condo. Original small building still there but now Jap restaurant (after Tung Lok's another what's it's name restaurant).

Old cinema building also housed a KTV before, anybody tried?

Last edited:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few stalls actually moved to the 2 storey building facing main road near NTUC including the Tze char stall. That place was again taken over and now the Tze char stall is still looking for a place.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
同心居 magaret drive shanghainese cuisine - i believe its the famous spicy sour soup & dumpling.

try this number = 96623501

its not me hor...i just happened to copy it down before it was torn down.

brudders who managed to call them pls post here where they are.

Ok Great News Found Shanghai Dumpling from the fishball noodle shop (Hup Kee) its at the same place in Mei Ling Street Market on 2nd floor. Go go go they told me its open at this time right now.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wow Thanks for sharing the pics of Queenstown and that bring me back of my childhood memories. My parents move in to Blk-6c during 1970 and move out from there 1995.

You're welcome michael_368. Blk 6C I think all the kids will not forget because go there to buy school books from Pacific and Radiant bookstores. Also go there to make spectacles.

This used to be many things.....at one time was the ministry of environment....opposite was the steel mill.....opposite the steel mill was the telecoms.....infront the telecoms was a row of shophouses.....the chung kiaw bank (later UOB) was there. So was the brewery...now Anchorpoint.

Thanks for sharing the pics bro....brings back memories....

Hmm I think its not steel mill la Narong I think you're refering tothe aluminium factory. You noticed that Chung Khiaw bank staff seem to work there forever and knows every customer by surnames. Mom used to have a safe deposit box there.

The one on the 1st floor corner stall?

Also in Stirling Rd.

Yes first floor corner store Hup Kee front is carpark.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I missed the duck noodles at the hawker centre. It was sold by an elderly couple. The soft boiled eggs at the corner was excellent, you had to wait 8 minutes for the perfect soft boiled eggs to be readied

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Used to live near Forfar House, once the tallest building in Singapore also taught in school history those days.
Passed my driving test at Quennstown Driving Centre in 1970 and I peddled steam peanuts outside Venus cinema.

YES! In the past many illegal push stalls ourside Venus and Golden City cinemas. Love to go midnight shows on Saturdays.

Alright! The fountain. Before there are no road junctions only circles, the one at Tanglin Halt is I think Princess Circle and the one with Alexandra Road is Queens Circle or could the the other way around. During National Day sure got decorations and lights in the circles.

The hawker centre is part of the Chap-Si-Lao market I believe and the Lor-Ark (braised duck) noodle is very good. The community centre I thing is has a cooperative and all Q'town people goes there to buy rice.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The Queenstown/Queensway cinema had KFC on the 2nd floor.

Oh yes the KFC youth123, used to have many dates with my late wife there. hmmmmmmmm sweet memories

Are you refering to the 新路?fishball noodle. The boss who wear a big gold bracelet on the ground floor of hawker centre?

The guy with the gold chain is the one inside the hawker centre not the Hup Kee that we are referring to which is on the outside row.

Last edited: