• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New York

Diaozz

Hi all,

Due to personal reasons, I'm looking to go over to NY in a year and settle down there for a few years. However, I am very clueless about how to find a job there and so here I am asking for advice. What do I need to look out for and what can I do from here in SG to apply for jobs there?
I'm a marketing grad with honours from NTU and have a little more than a year's experience, now doing sales support and internal projects as a contractor for a US MNC. I'm looking to further my studies with some certs such as CAPM to PMP and ITIL.

Thanks alot

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
book a flight there, once landed be ready to take up any jobs eg. dishwasher, cleaner to get yourself started, sleep anywhere on the street or a very rundown motel,and hopefully the employer is willing to sponsor you a H1 visa. NY is a not a place for anyone - people there can be cruel,cold, aggressive but once you get over the initial hurricane you should be able to find something you always wanted to do. The only question is - can a Singaporean step out of his comfort zone to start off in NY?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/16/greek-exodus-workers-flee-to-canada-australia.html
Greek Exodus: Workers Flee to Canada and Australia
Feb 16, 2012 6:22 AM EST
Forget austerity. Thousands of Greeks, hung out to dry by the EU’s bailout requirements, are fleeing in record numbers—as far away as Canada and Australia. Barbie Latza Nadeau reports.

How come so many experienced PMP, PRINCE2 and ITIL practitioners looking for jobs?
Some of these project managers just finished their last project, decommissioning their European operations.

This world is going crazy. I have not seen so much uncertainties and bleak future.
Who are going to employ these European exodus.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/16/smallbusiness/manufacturing_jobs/?source=cnn_bin
Desperately seeking Americans for factory jobs
By Parija Kavilanz @CNNMoney February 16, 2012: 10:12 AM ET

(CNNMoney) -- U.S. factories are creating many new jobs. But owners are hard pressed to find skilled American workers to fill them.
There is a "critical shortage of machinists," a common and crucial position in factories, said Rob Akers, vice president at the National Tooling and Machining Association. "Enrollment in this field in technical schools has been down for a long time."
The problem comes at a terrible time. Domestic contract manufacturers -- known as "job shops" -- are seeing a boom in business.

The Big Apple - Nothing is impossible.
Singapore National Service is chicken feed, compare to competing and surviving in NYC.
Must have the smarts and the luck.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Due to personal reasons, I'm looking to go over to NY in a year and settle down there for a few years. However, I am very clueless about how to find a job there and so here I am asking for advice. What do I need to look out for and what can I do from here in SG to apply for jobs there?
I'm a marketing grad with honours from NTU and have a little more than a year's experience, now doing sales support and internal projects as a contractor for a US MNC. I'm looking to further my studies with some certs such as CAPM to PMP and ITIL.

Thanks alot

I go once or twice a year for work. Many ways to get a job - harder to land one without being there- once there get yourself a NYT, on many street corners there is an local employment guide, see a local manpower agency if checking online, see craigslist and others. Many jobs avail, but housing can be an issue unless you dont mind taking the train in from Queens, Brooklyn, etc.

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I go once or twice a year for work. Many ways to get a job - harder to land one without being there- once there get yourself a NYT, on many street corners there is an local employment guide, see a local manpower agency if checking online, see craigslist and others. Many jobs avail, but housing can be an issue unless you dont mind taking the train in from Queens, Brooklyn, etc.

Bro, dun mean 2 sound (-) here but tis not easy des days 2 land a job in the US esp with close 2 9% unemployment. Unless u hav a skill thats really req or u have sum strong contacts, getting an employer 2 sponsor u 4 a H1B visa des days can b an uphill task. However, if the person hu cums in here expects 2 b spoonfed like in Sinkapore instd of doing his own resarch & expect jobs 2 b waiting in a silver platter the moment he touches down in NY aport, hes gona b in 4 a real rude shock!!!! :eek:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I concur...

Bro, dun mean 2 sound (-) here but tis not easy des days 2 land a job in the US esp with close 2 9% unemployment. Unless u hav a skill thats really req or u have sum strong contacts, getting an employer 2 sponsor u 4 a H1B visa des days can b an uphill task. However, if the person hu cums in here expects 2 b spoonfed like in Sinkapore instd of doing his own resarch & expect jobs 2 b waiting in a silver platter the moment he touches down in NY aport, hes gona b in 4 a real rude shock!!!! :eek:

Diaozz

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I know it won't be easy, and I never expected it to be. I am chasing my heart there and I fully expect tough times ahead. Coming here to ask is also part of my plan to find a job. I'll certainly do my best to dig in and look for a job there when I reach there. Once again, thanks to everyone!