• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sydney is 7th most expensive city in the world!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the people wanting to migrate to aussieland think about where you want to stay here.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/think-sydney-is-expensive-youre-right-20120214-1t3jl.html

Think Sydney is expensive? You're right
February 14, 2012 - 4:17PM
Read laterComments 19 Vote

Sydney is one of the world's most expensive cities. Photo: Michele Mossop
Sydney has again been named Australia's most expensive city.

Sydney has been ranked the seventh most expensive city in the world in a cost of living survey of 130 cities by the Economist Intelligence Unit, compared with sixth last time.

"The cost of living in Sydney is now almost 50 per cent higher than that of global business centre New York – while a decade ago Sydney was more than 25 per cent cheaper than New York," Worldwide Cost of Living report editor Jon Copestake said from London.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"The cost of a loaf of bread in Sydney has almost doubled in the past decade in US dollar terms, while petrol prices have risen threefold and rice prices have almost quadrupled," Mr Copestake said.

While Melbourne basks in the title of the world's most liveable city (according to the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Ranking), the privilege of living in Melbourne comes at a high price. Melbourne has been ranked the eighth most expensive city in the world

The cost of living survey compares hundreds of prices across 160 products and services, including food, clothing, rent, transport, utility bills and recreational costs.

The survey has been carried out for 30 years and uses New York as the base city for comparison.

Rankings for other Australian cities include Perth 12, Brisbane 13 and Adelaide 17.

The report found the cost of living in the five Australian cities was higher than cities such as London, Rome, New York, Berlin, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai and Rio de Janeiro.

"Exchange rates have been the greatest influence for the Australian cost of living, with the Australian dollar seeing its value relative to the US dollar double in a decade, although local price inflation, especially last year, has also played a part," Mr Copestake said.

The three most expensive cities in the world to live in are Zurich, 1, up from five last year; Tokyo, 2, down from 1 and Geneva, 3, up from 9.

The world's least expensive cities included, Dhaka, Algiers and New Delhi.

The 10 most expensive cities are:

Zurich (Switzerland)
Tokyo (Japan)
Geneva (Switzerland)
Osaka Kobe (Japan)
Oslo (Norway)
Paris (France)
Sydney (Australia)
Melbourne (Australia)
Singapore
Frankfurt (Germany)
The 10 least expensive cities are:

Muscat (Oman)
Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Algiers (Algeria)
Kathmandu (Nepal)
Panama City (Panama)
Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)
New Delhi (India)
Tehran (Iran)
Mumbai (India)
Karachi (Pakistan)
Source: Economist Intelligence Unit

smh.com.au, Jason Dowling

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...youre-right-20120214-1t3jl.html#ixzz1mKlNYlDd

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 10 most expensive cities are:

Zurich (Switzerland)
Tokyo (Japan)
Geneva (Switzerland)
Osaka Kobe (Japan)
Oslo (Norway)
Paris (France)
Sydney (Australia)
Melbourne (Australia)
Singapore
Frankfurt (Germany)

And Singapore is the 9th most expensive country to live in. At least in Sydney the cars are cheaper and the houses still cheaper than in Singapore.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not so sure about houses. 2 bedroom unit about 100 sqm, 10-20 years old, going for around $450K to $500K. Cheaper or more expensive then Singapore?

And Singapore is the 9th most expensive country to live in. At least in Sydney the cars are cheaper and the houses still cheaper than in Singapore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If Sydney is expensive, Perth must be worst!

OK. Parking in the CBD is cheaper, but it can average $4 per hour.

Food and entertainment - Perth more expensive.

Anything with labour cost, more expensive included - Perth more expensive.

Shopping - Perth extremely expensive because everything comes from the eastern states. Eg Have to pay Linfox transportation cost to ship my TV over (order on Friday, delivered next Thursday). But lucky we have internet shopping. I use BuyInCoins, Ebay, Amazon to reduce my cost.

Eg I buy a special car polish and I compare the cost.

It costs S$70 in Singapore (ship to Singapore), From an NZ website NZ$75 (b/f delivery to Perth), A$69 (b/f delivery to Perth), £59 UK and US$24 in Amazon US (+ US$25 delivery to Perth).

A$1=US$1.07

Guess who I bought from?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.secureparking.com.au/displaycarpark.aspx?carparkid=156

Ehem, $11 an hour here. Sydney airport probably closer to $15 an hour.

And yes, a lot of people are starting to get stuff from the states, including myself. Shit thing is some stores, brands don't ship overseas, but there are ways around that as well.

Shopping - Perth extremely expensive because everything comes from the eastern states. Eg Have to pay Linfox transportation cost to ship my TV over (order on Friday, delivered next Thursday). But lucky we have internet shopping. I use BuyInCoins, Ebay, Amazon to reduce my cost.

Eg I buy a special car polish and I compare the cost.

It costs S$70 in Singapore (ship to Singapore), From an NZ website NZ$75 (b/f delivery to Perth), A$69 (b/f delivery to Perth), £59 UK and US$24 in Amazon US (+ US$25 delivery to Perth).

A$1=US$1.07

Guess who I bought from?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.secureparking.com.au/displaycarpark.aspx?carparkid=156

Ehem, $11 an hour here. Sydney airport probably closer to $15 an hour.

And yes, a lot of people are starting to get stuff from the states, including myself. Shit thing is some stores, brands don't ship overseas, but there are ways around that as well.

Just to clarify.

Private parking: $10 up to 30mins, $15 from 30mins-1hr
http://www.wilsonparking.com.au/go/wilson-car-parks/wa/central-park

Council parking CPP: $4 but get in there early
http://www.cityofperthparking.com.au/?q=node/22

Drive there only if company gives free parking lot. :biggrin:

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well in Spore u can rely mostly on public transport so owning a car is not a neccessity. In Sydney it's inconvienent to move around without a car even if u live near city (scooters/bikes are common here though).

Houses wise u have to live at least 20km from the city to get a affordable unit in Sydney. Of course Singapore is getting ridiciously expensive as well, but mortgage rate is much lower and as long u work u can pay most of your mortgage via CPF whereas Sydney is all coming from your disposable income cash component.

Dinining out is more expensive in sydney as there's no options between hawker centre vs restaurant. Groceries can be expensive for basic goods like eggs. U pay double for movie tickets in Sydney vs Spore.

However, as Sydney or Oz in general is very boring at night, u have less distraction and it might be a good thing u don't spend that much on entertainment. U get free access to beaches and parks on a good weather so i suppose lifestyle is the key.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well in Spore u can rely mostly on public transport so owning a car is not a neccessity. In Sydney it's inconvienent to move around without a car even if u live near city (scooters/bikes are common here though).

Houses wise u have to live at least 20km from the city to get a affordable unit in Sydney. Of course Singapore is getting ridiciously expensive as well, but mortgage rate is much lower and as long u work u can pay most of your mortgage via CPF whereas Sydney is all coming from your disposable income cash component.

Dinining out is more expensive in sydney as there's no options between hawker centre vs restaurant. Groceries can be expensive for basic goods like eggs. U pay double for movie tickets in Sydney vs Spore.

However, as Sydney or Oz in general is very boring at night, u have less distraction and it might be a good thing u don't spend that much on entertainment. U get free access to beaches and parks on a good weather so i suppose lifestyle is the key.

Public Transport, other than commuting to work, is really inefficient on a person time.
Again, depending on density of a city, I would rather hop into a car to run errands. It helps when Parking is FREE, and that is in suburban places. I also like shopping centres that give FREE parking for the 1st hour. Because the car becomes my mobile storeroom. Another thing is the smell of taxis and public transport.

I am enjoying my quiet evenings.

That is why I have not stepped into a cinema since arriving in Australia, because Aussie homes are built with Home Theatres and blu-rays renting on a Tuesdays are cheap. Moreover, less cinema restrictions. Ideally, OSIM massage chairs fit nicely too.

Even if there is no home theatre, there is family room, etc.

Singapore does an excellent job in cinemas and that is why I still go to the cinema when I return for a visit. Except I kept forgetting that getting seats can be just as dramatic on popular movies.

Cinemas are good for 4-D effects. Otherwise, a drive-in cinema or moonlight cinema will get me out of a home theatre.

I think Singapore pride itself in being able to cater to the budget conscious by having public housings and housing street hawkers in permanent buildings with running water and electricity. It is a lot better than western fast-food.

Food Court, run by Singaporean.
http://www.myweyoflife.com/2010/08/dinner-cambridge-food-court.html

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles...rom=scroller&pos=3&referrer=article&link=text

A radical new twist on Melbourne vs Sydney

News blew in late yesterday that Sydney is the 7th most expensive city in the world. Big deal. We already knew you have to be a criminal or a real estate speculator to afford to live here. Not that there’s much diff.

The real news was that Melbourne made number 8 on the list, ahead of Singapore, which is widely known as an extremely expensive city even for those who don’t habitually spit on the sidewalk.

Melbourne has always prided itself on its title of “World’s Most Liveable City”. Apparently liveability doesn’t have much to do with affordability. And now Melbourne has another claim to fame. It’s a trait which is never, ever brought up in the endless, tedious Sydney vs Melbourne fights. Here goes then…

Only their mothers can tell them apart
melb-and-syd.jpg

Of course AUD$1=SGD$1.35.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Public Transport, other than commuting to work, is really inefficient on a person time.
Again, depending on density of a city, I would rather hop into a car to run errands. It helps when Parking is FREE, and that is in suburban places. I also like shopping centres that give FREE parking for the 1st hour. Because the car becomes my mobile storeroom. Another thing is the smell of taxis and public transport.

I am enjoying my quiet evenings.

That is why I have not stepped into a cinema since arriving in Australia, because Aussie homes are built with Home Theatres and blu-rays renting on a Tuesdays are cheap. Moreover, less cinema restrictions. Ideally, OSIM massage chairs fit nicely too.

Even if there is no home theatre, there is family room, etc.

Singapore does an excellent job in cinemas and that is why I still go to the cinema when I return for a visit. Except I kept forgetting that getting seats can be just as dramatic on popular movies.

Cinemas are good for 4-D effects. Otherwise, a drive-in cinema or moonlight cinema will get me out of a home theatre.

I think Singapore pride itself in being able to cater to the budget conscious by having public housings and housing street hawkers in permanent buildings with running water and electricity. It is a lot better than western fast-food.

Food Court, run by Singaporean.
http://www.myweyoflife.com/2010/08/dinner-cambridge-food-court.html

No everyone lives in a big house these days. In Sydney, living in apartments is a norm nowadays, forget about the family rooms.

It's the lack of competition and barrier of entry makes Oz so unaffordable eg. Woolies vs Coles, Only 4 major retail banks, Myers vs David Jones etc etc. Labor Government is afraid to do anything to make Oz competitive. It's cheaper to buy oversea for homegrown aussie brands like Billabong, cotton on etc. becos Aussies are used to being ripped-off.

Sydney vs Melbourne. I live in both cities, I actually prefer Melbourne(other than weather), but i settled in Sydney nyway. These days, living costs of both cities is about the same. Well, at least Aud dollar is really strong, not like anyone earning Aud dollars would complain.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

rth).

A$1=US$1.07

Guess who I bought from?

Neddy, when was the last time you were in SG?

The effects of our 5.7% inflation will shock you.

Singaporeclubau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore total area is 710 km2 while Sydney metropolitan area is 12144.6 km² there is surely something for everyone in Sydney :smile:

cheers!

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Public transport in peesai so overated la. Back in the early 90s it was nice and pleasurable. Now if you have a toddler in tow or worst still two toddlers, you are in deep shit taking the public transport. Weekdays are ok, but weekends are a nightmare. Prams, diapers, milk powder, bottles, wet bum wipes.....can you imagine squeezing in the MRT with all these things with you...? With the horrid weather in peesai, a day out with the family can turned real miserable as soon as you step in the MRT or bus. A few years back before the influx of FTs, one can argue that you don't need a car in peesai. Now everyone with a family needs one. Who wants their kids to get rub from behind by a smelly bangla or a stinko chinamen talking loudly on the phone.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about movies wise and entertainment. I live in JB for the last year or so and have never been to the cinema for two years. All I have to do is visit my friendly pirated DVD store at any shopping center. A dvd copy of a movie just release on DVD is 1.5 peesai dollar. A blue ray is about 3 peesai dollar. I have saved thousands of dollars by not going to the movies. I would spend 50 peesai for about 35 DVD movies and rip it to my HD. Now currently my media player has almost all the movies release last year. Most of the movies sucks. But still money saved. Even when I moved to OZ, I will still make my way down to JB at the end of the year to top up all the movies release this year. Also I planned to get a good projector. Who needs the cinema..Also I don't have a choice cause I got a 10 month old monkey with me now.

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not so sure about houses. 2 bedroom unit about 100 sqm, 10-20 years old, going for around $450K to $500K. Cheaper or more expensive then Singapore?

House to HDB flat. Cannot compare at all. A flat in Woodlands at 100 sqm can cost up to 350k. Cheaper yes. But from Woodlands to City Hall takes an hour and 15 mins by public transport.

10 mins wait for feeder bus
15 mins ride of feeder bus in off school hours
5 mins wait for mrt
45 mins to city hall

In peesai you pay less in terms of moolah but you pay a hefty price in terms of time that you will never get back. Money can always be earn back.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
??? Why get the the DVD/Blu-ray even? Just go to the local BT store lah. Even cheaper there. Most of the pirate disc sellers gets their sourfe from BT also 1 lah.

Talking about movies wise and entertainment. I live in JB for the last year or so and have never been to the cinema for two years. All I have to do is visit my friendly pirated DVD store at any shopping center. A dvd copy of a movie just release on DVD is 1.5 peesai dollar. A blue ray is about 3 peesai dollar. I have saved thousands of dollars by not going to the movies. I would spend 50 peesai for about 35 DVD movies and rip it to my HD. Now currently my media player has almost all the movies release last year. Most of the movies sucks. But still money saved. Even when I moved to OZ, I will still make my way down to JB at the end of the year to top up all the movies release this year. Also I planned to get a good projector. Who needs the cinema..Also I don't have a choice cause I got a 10 month old monkey with me now.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
BT quality sometimes sucks. I only buy exact pirated copy usually about 3 to 4 gigs. Good as original copy. Somore I am using wireless broadband with 20 gigs download nia.