• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kiwis leaving the shaky isles ...

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
If in NZ north island, I'll prefer Wellington or Bay of Plenty.
Auckland too similar to SG.
But job opportunities mostly at Auckland.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sam, aren't you in Aukland too? Pukekohe?
Why do you think it is no good?

I didn't say it was no good. I'm asking the member concerned what his reasons are for labeling it "a good choice". I want to know what is criteria is.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Parking Fee expensive.
Car & Human Traffic jam
Expensive housing on average in NZ.

But the majority of Auckland has free parking. It may be time limited but as long as you stick to the limit, you don't have to pay a cent.

Traffic jams are limited to the motorway during peak hours. Between 11 to 3 pm, I can drive from my suburb to downtown Auckland, a distance of 12 km in 15 minutes. After 6.15 pm, the roads are free flowing again. It's nothing like Singapore where jams are last till 10pm.

Housing is expensive relative to the rest of Auckland but it's a real bargain by Singaporean standards.

The home that I live in would cost $15 million in Singapore. It's worth only 10% of that figure here.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the majority of Auckland has free parking. It may be time limited but as long as you stick to the limit, you don't have to pay a cent.

Traffic jams are limited to the motorway during peak hours. Between 11 to 3 pm, I can drive from my suburb to downtown Auckland, a distance of 12 km in 15 minutes. After 6.15 pm, the roads are free flowing again. It's nothing like Singapore where jams are last till 10pm.

Housing is expensive relative to the rest of Auckland but it's a real bargain by Singaporean standards.

The home that I live in would cost $15 million in Singapore. It's worth only 10% of that figure here.

The time limit is normally too short to do whatever need to be done downtown.
Traffic and housing if compare to SG is of course not as bad.
But if you compare with the rest of the town in north island NZ, Auckland is like a mini SG.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The time limit is normally too short to do whatever need to be done downtown.
Traffic and housing if compare to SG is of course not as bad.
But if you compare with the rest of the town in north island NZ, Auckland is like a mini SG.

Unless you happen to work downtown, there is hardly ever a need to go to that part of Auckland.

I spend 99% of my life in the suburbs. I haven't paid any parking fees for more than a year.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sam, I am picking Avondale for it Asian food offer. What is yr take on this?

Not a very nice neighborhood and Asian food in Auckland is nothing to write home about. There are a few good outlets but they aren't in Avondale.

If you like Asian food, you should move to Asia.

Raphael85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do you think Auckland is a good choice?

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from I.C.T. :rolleyes:

Why Auckland? Not only does it have a well-developed basic infrastructure and structured economy, it also possess beautiful scenery that is characteristics of the natural beauty of New Zealand. Compared to where i am now, this is a good choice for the short term where job opportunities abound. Besides, I feel less stifling in a bigger environment and prefer a more balanced work-life arrangement than a fast-paced lifestyle that is typical of little red dot.

In short, NZ is a long-term dream. Of course, to be realistic, i may need to adjust certain expectations and pierce the underlying illusions before i embarked on this journey. From many of the accounts i read, having the correct attitude, being mentally prepared, and making clear decision is crucial to survival in the long run. I plan to head down and look around the area before i make the jump. It may be a nerve-wrecking experience as a first time, but i am preparing myself...slowly and steadily.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In short, NZ is a long-term dream. Of course, to be realistic, i may need to adjust certain expectations and pierce the underlying illusions before i embarked on this journey. From many of the accounts i read, having the correct attitude, being mentally prepared, and making clear decision is crucial to survival in the long run. I plan to head down and look around the area before i make the jump.

You have the correct attitude but your plan to "look around" isn't necessary. Every time I have made a move, I have never done a recce before making the decision. I make the decision first, then do the recce.

Raphael85

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have the correct attitude but your plan to "look around" isn't necessary. Every time I have made a move, I have never done a recce before making the decision. I make the decision first, then do the recce.

I have been thinking about the decision-making process. Just a thought, wouldn't it be wiser to at least have the general notes at hand and use this info as a guidepost before jumping into the deep end of the pool? Being familiar with the local territory may help to ease the anxiety during the first stage of landing. This consideration may also help to smoothen the overall transition and end up as a potential lifesaver in the event of an emergency. Or perhaps, the attitude towards this plan is not advisable as it may be time-consuming and too costly.

Anyone who wishes to contribute their opinions, suggestions, or tips are welcomed. (:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have been thinking about the decision-making process. Just a thought, wouldn't it be wiser to at least have the general notes at hand and use this info as a guidepost before jumping into the deep end of the pool?

Decide what you want in life. In my case it was the great outdoors so that meant countries like NZ, OZ, Canada and a few others where English is spoken as I didn't want to bother about having to learn a new language at this stage of my life.

Checked out exchange rates, house prices etc.

Made the decision based on the above.

Once the decision is made, the rest is easy.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been thinking about the decision-making process. Just a thought, wouldn't it be wiser to at least have the general notes at hand and use this info as a guidepost before jumping into the deep end of the pool? Being familiar with the local territory may help to ease the anxiety during the first stage of landing. This consideration may also help to smoothen the overall transition and end up as a potential lifesaver in the event of an emergency. Or perhaps, the attitude towards this plan is not advisable as it may be time-consuming and too costly.

Anyone who wishes to contribute their opinions, suggestions, or tips are welcomed. (:

Take a trip there for yourself.
Feel the environment, the people, the culture.
If you like it, make a plan.
If not, next destination.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Take a trip there for yourself.
Feel the environment, the people, the culture.
If you like it, make a plan.
If not, next destination.

You can't tell just by making a trip. You have to live in a place for at least a year and a half and interact with your surroundings in order to get an accurate feel of the vibes.

Seasonal changes play a big part too. Go in summer on a good week and you'll think the place is lovely. Go in winter when it's cold, wet, windy and gray and it gets dark at 4 pm and you'll form a different impression.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can't tell just by making a trip. You have to live in a place for at least a year and half and interact with your surroundings in order to get an accurate feel of the vibes.

Seasonal changes play a big part too. Go in summer on a good week and you'll think the place is lovely. Go in winter when it's cold, wet, windy and gray and it gets dark at 4 pm and you'll form a different impression.

Of course if you have the time.
If not, the rest can google 1st.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Of course if you have the time.
If not, the rest can google 1st.

Google can give you the facts and the figures but it does not give you a feel of the place or enable you to appreciate the ambience or lack thereof.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Google can give you the facts and the figures but it does not give you a feel of the place or enable you to appreciate the ambience or lack thereof.

Fair enough.
But I'll can only fully appreciate NZ ambience/weather or lack thereof after I get my PR.
In the meantime, I've already partly seen and feel, for me to make up my mind.

Raphael85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Checked out exchange rates, house prices etc.

Made the decision based on the above.

Once the decision is made, the rest is easy.

i know where you are coming from, it makes more sense now. Choosing where to stay first is important before all the other necessary parts will fall into place. Start well, good to go. Start bad, oh crap..

You can't tell just by making a trip. You have to live in a place for at least a year and a half and interact with your surroundings in order to get an accurate feel of the vibes.

Good perspective on the seasonal climatic issues. I feel more grounded and certainly looking at the whole picture from another point of view. Time to adjust some plans..