• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Now i only can drink water, knn you happy?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
ST_IMAGES_DENISE.jpg
caption please

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
attachment.php

I still can secrete half a glass full of juice from my Phua CB. At my age, not bad already.

An optimist sees a glass half full, a pessimist sees a glass half empty.

I am an optimist!

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
attachment.php

'' I just learned a new Magic Trick... I'll turn this glass of plain water into Beer..'' :eek:

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time drink Pierre. Now can only drink evian. How to live like this? Serve the majority of sinkees right because they drink new water. Hahahahaha.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What the story behind it? Anyone have the video?

What was this about?

Its a article in the Straits Times published on 17th. With the photo is this complete article I am posting below:

Pay review both half full and half empty, says Denise Phua

By Andrea Ong

Pensively holding up a glass of water as she spoke, Ms Denise Phua (Moulmein-Kallang GRC) compared it to people's mixed feelings over the proposals by the Committee to Review Ministerial Salaries.

'Some of us optimists will declare (the glass) is half-full. Others who are less positive will say it is half-empty. The cynics among us will wonder who drank the other half. I say it is both - half-full and half-empty,' said the backbencher.

Expressing some of the strongest reservations among the PAP MPs who spoke on Monday, Ms Phua nonetheless praised the committee for moving in the right direction with its bold pay cuts.

She was 'heartened', too, that her recommendations from the April 2007 debate on ministerial pay had been applied in the review.

These include setting up an independent pay review committee for the first time and expanding a bonus component to include targets beyond Singapore's economic growth.

However, Ms Phua had five suggestions on how the new system could be refined to 'further fill up the glass'.

Peg ministers' pay to a broader base of Singaporean workers and discard the discount signifying public service.

The committee proposed pegging an entry-level minister's pay to the top 1,000 Singaporean income earners, who form only 0.05 per cent of a workforce of two million, said Ms Phua.

This benchmark, while more reasonable than the previous base of 48 top earners, is 'arbitrary and smacks of elitism', she said.

The 40 per cent discount on the benchmark - signifying the sacrifice when entering public service - should also be scrapped as it is also arbitrary and often forgotten and unappreciated, she added.

Instead, ministers' pay could be pegged to a simpler benchmark, like the top 10 or 20 per cent of Singaporean income earners, said Ms Phua.

Strengthen the link between ministers' variable pay and their performance

This could be done firstly by removing the annual variable component - a bonus paid to all civil servants - from the variable portion of ministers' salaries.

The remaining two parts - performance bonus and national bonus - are tied directly to how individual ministers perform and how the country fares under the Cabinet's stewardship, said Ms Phua.

But both bonuses can be improved. The four national bonus indicators could be expanded to take into account factors like social well-being, she said.

The key performance indicators of each minister's portfolio should be publicised so Singaporeans can better understand how the performance bonus is awarded, she added. The call was also made by Non-Constituency MP Gerald Giam.

Review the current benefits package

Ms Phua suggested offering ministers benefits commonly given to private sector top executives, such as car allowances and annual health screenings.

Ministers get dental benefits of $70 a year and outpatient subsidies capped at $350 a year, which is 'a little ludicrous'. Said Ms Phua: 'Do not over-extend the application of the principle of 'clean wage' so far that it becomes artificial.'

Educate people on the job scope of MPs and political office holders

Both Ms Phua and Mr Zaqy Mohamad (Chua Chu Kang GRC) felt there should be greater clarity on MPs' duties and the different roles played by office-holders such as Ministers and the Speaker.

People's lack of awareness underlies the unhappiness over political salaries, she said.

Review the pay structure of the elite Administrative Service, which is pegged on a similar salary band as ministers

However, she acknowledged that today's political culture made it more challenging to attract people with the right character and skills to enter politics.

Leaders must be 'superhero politicians' who can inspire Singaporeans, engage constituents online and in person, and solve complex challenges.

But she urged the House to heal the national divide by giving ideas on how to improve the pay issue and create a dream 'so compelling that more leaders with both character and competence will come forward to serve, come what pay'.

Last edited: