• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friend bought a packet of Kopi Luwak from Indonesia this week. Touted as the most expensive coffee in the world.

CoffeeKopiLuwak.jpg

Joetys, the next time you come back from Indo, remember to bring a pack of Kopi Luwak back.

FYI, Kopi Luwak are droppings of Asian Palm Civet.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Friend bought a packet of Kopi Luwak from Indonesia this week. Touted as the most expensive coffee in the world.

CoffeeKopiLuwak.jpg

Joetys, the next time you come back from Indo, remember to bring a pack of Kopi Luwak back.

I drank this last year, $75,000 a cup, around $11, very bitter, add 2 packet of sugar still bitter, though its quite aromatic.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

CoffeeKopiLuwak.jpg

Sure KYP. By the way I will be posting myself there Jul/Aug onwards. In process to setup sales office there now with warehouse facility and next year should start production. So will be spending a lot of time there soon and have lots of Luwak.

I have heard of this KYP but not tried yet. Actually I'm not sure if I will dare to drink this stuff because its from kee la. Can you give some comment how special is this product?

Catch you guys shortly will be checking in intermittently.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have heard of this KYP but not tried yet. Actually I'm not sure if I will dare to drink this stuff because its from kee la. Can you give some comment how special is this product?

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who first picked up a cat poo and decided to drink it?

Coffee was introduced to Indonesia in the 17th century by the Dutch; luwaks were already there but were (obviously) eating other things. At some point the luwaks must have discovered coffee, decided they liked it, and it became a regular part of their diet. My guess is that someone who didn't have access to the valuable coffee beans harvested for the Dutch tried some "waste" beans that the Dutch had no use for.

2. What is a Luwak?

Luwak, Lubak and Musang are all regional Indonesian names for the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxus hermaphroditus), a cat-like animal common to many south east Asian countries.

3. What is Kopi Luwak/ Luwak Coffee?

Kopi Luwak is coffee made from coffee beans that have been eaten by a Luwak. Regular coffee cherries are hand picked and the flesh of the berry is removed by mechanical means. When a coffee cherry is eaten by a Luwak the flesh is removed through digestion in the stomach of the Luwak, and the beans are collected after they have passed out of the Luwak.

4. Why does Kopi Luwak taste different to other coffees?

There are both technical and practical reasons for the taste of Kopi Luwak.

Luwak use their keen sense of smell to select the very best ripe coffee beans. A Luwak will visit a plantation and eat only a fraction of the available beans, leaving any that are inferior or not quite ready on the tree. This means that the beans are individually selected by an animal that is specially adapted for this purpose and is far superior to humans at doing this.

Laboratory tests have demonstrated that there is also a qualitative reason why kopi luwak beans taste different. As the beans pass through the digestive tract of the Luwak, the acids in the stomach of the Luwak permeate the bean and leach out some of the proteins in the bean responsible for its bitterness resulting in a sweeter coffee bean. (there you are Alamaking, if you have sipped the real stuff it shouldn't be bitter)

Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Animalcoffee; all rights reserved.

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
How is kopi kuwak made?

proc.jpg

Before you can have coffee beans you need coffee flowers, which blanket the mountains like fragrant snow.

proc1.jpg

The actual coffee beans are hidden away inside these sweet red cherries.

proc2.jpg

A luwak selects the very finest & ripest cherries, scoffs them and legs it.

proc3.jpg

A diet this high in coffee beans must produce some uncomfortable moments for the luwak - but this is what all the fuss is about.

proc4.jpg

We collect the kopi luwak, break it down and dispose of all the really yucky 'stuff' we can't use.

proc5.jpg

We spread the beans out in the sun making the outer skin brittle, dry and easier to remove.

proc6.jpg

A few days later and the thin papery outer skin (pergamino) has dried and the coffee beans inside have shrunk.

proc7.jpg

The dried beans are pounded in a wooden mortar causing the brittle pergamino to fragment and fall apart.

proc8.jpg

Clean coffee beans sans their skins and almost ready for roasting.

proc9.jpg

The final step - any irregular or weird looking beans are removed by hand so that the beans you purchase are as near to perfect as is humanly (and luwakly) possible.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
How is kopi kuwak made?
proc3.jpg

A diet this high in coffee beans must produce some uncomfortable moments for the luwak - but this is what all the fuss is about.

Thank you for being so informative Pii KYP. After seeing the above pic I am thinking really hard if I will drink this coffee. I have a question for you, if I were to buy this coffee in Indonesia or anywhere, how could I be sure its genuine?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for being so informative Pii KYP. After seeing the above pic I am thinking really hard if I will drink this coffee. I have a question for you, if I were to buy this coffee in Indonesia or anywhere, how could I be sure its genuine?

The safest bet is to sit and watch the civet shit.:biggrin:

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good morning guys!
Wow, first thing in the morning I read in this thread is kopi. Sianz. can only drinking my Moccona cheap instant coffee.

KYP, thanks for the detail write up on the Luwak Kopi. Interesting and I believe the civet cats have very good instinct to sniff out the good kopi seeds. Will try this in the future.

Have a great weekend!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup everyone. Man, another long long night for me, got back at 7.

I had lots of coffee this morning as a matter of fact a full onr litre of it, from the other end, coffee enema detoxification. Now feelIng real great and ready to go.

I'll be spending my day packing my mountain of CDs making sure I've got every single one in my iTunes. Then evening to SC Park hotel's East Ocean restaurant to have 佛跳墙, already pre-ordered 2 urns one day in advance.