• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New airport link to Don Mueng and ...U-TaPao (Pattaya, here we come). Well, not so soon :p

New rail lines to link three airports
Bangkok Post Published: 20/11/2014 at 04:51 PM

The Airport Rail Link will be extended to connect Suvarnabhumi airport with Don Mueang airport and U-Tapao airport in Rayong, Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said on Thursday.

ACM Prajin Juntong said the Airport Rail Link, which connects Suvarnabhumi airport and Bangkok's inner district of Phaya Thai, would be extended to Don Mueang airport in northern Bangkok and to U-Tapao airport in the eastern province of Rayong, near Pattaya.

Work on the extension will begin with a 22-kilometre-long link from Phaya Thai to Don Mueang, he said. The estimated cost of this section was 29 billion baht.
The National Environmental Board already approved the plan, but the cabinet had yet to endorse it, ACM Prajin said.

For the 190km extension to U-Tapao, which is now rated an international airport, the minister said transport authorities would have to discuss it with the Royal Thai Navy, which supervises the airport. He expected the talks to be concluded in the second half of next year.

The route for the Airport Link to U-Tapao would also have to be finalised, and a decision made whether it should start from Suvarnabhumi, Makkasan or Lat Krabang area of Bangkok. Six stations were planned along the route and their locations would have to be decided, the minister said.

These would be Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Si Racha, Pattaya, U-Tapao and Rayong stations.

ACM Prajin said the Airport Rail Link was now serving 1.4 million passengers a month, above its target of 1.2 million.

Luvurbaht

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Airport Rail Link will be extended to connect Suvarnabhumi airport with Don Mueang airport and U-Tapao airport in Rayong, Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said on Thursday.

ACM Prajin Juntong said the Airport Rail Link, which connects Suvarnabhumi airport and Bangkok's inner district of Phaya Thai, would be extended to Don Mueang airport in northern Bangkok and to U-Tapao airport in the eastern province of Rayong, near Pattaya.
A commendable project but I prefer they build a direct road link to all the massage and prostitute places in Thailand.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was driving to the factory in Rayong yesterday morning and did usual pit stop in this roadside shop selling noodles in Ban Beun. Ban Beun is a district of Chonburi province, a small lay back place.

Saen-Pla - the name of the shop Saen Pla means noodle fish literally.

The noodle soup is very special because they use strips of sotong and tiny little baby sotong for the soup base so its very delicious

This shop also specializes in crab meat balls, its like our version of ngor hiang hay cho - broke one to show the filling of crab meat still moist and juicy yet crunchy from the water chestnut, very traditional very delicious with the plum sauce. The two costs me 100 baht or $4 cheap for our standard but not for Thais

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
looks yummy....i like i like .... yesterday i made myself steamed prawns with traditional plum sauce too...shiok shiok....:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New airport link to Don Mueng and ...U-TaPao (Pattaya, here we come). Well, not so soon :p

New rail lines to link three airports
Bangkok Post Published: 20/11/2014 at 04:51 PM ...

Heard about the rail link to Pattaya but never thought it would proceed because I thought that there is not enough demand. I usually take a private coach from Bangkok to Pattaya. I've noticed that it is now usually crowded compared to a few years back. Also the roads to Pattaya are pretty crowded even though they are currently enlarging & expanding the roads.

With an MRT connection it may even be possible to live in Pattaya & make day trips to Banggkok,

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If anyone come over here and staying in south western side of Bangkok across the river at a place known as Bangkae or Bangkhae there is a nice pub restaurant Three Mangoes, good music, good crowd

[video=youtube;ksaVl3Chjd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksaVl3Chjd0[/video]

Pretty good wine selection too

Catfish

Chicken wings

Seabass

Laab moo thod

Even the toilet is beautiful

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Chaophya River just outside north of Bangkok at Bang-Pa-in next to Ayutthaya

River taxi crossing Chaophya

River restaurant

Popular for grilled river prawns

And fresh water fished like cat fish and snake head fish

Mushroom sauté with oyster sauce

Baby cat fish deep fried with garlic

Prawns don't come cheap

starting 375 baht for 250g prawn to 1,300 baht for 700g prawn.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my humble lor mee lunch

15241208443_099dbfe546_b.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was brought to a new place near my home for dinner last night

Silly people love the cockles so entree was hum and more hum

Hoi khaeng pow - Roasted hum

Meang hoi-kaeng - Boiled hum

Yam hoon saen - tang hoon yam

Pla-meuk pad khai khaem - Squid cook with salted eggs

Fried chicken with salt

Pla kapong thod kathiam - Deepfried seabass with garlic

Pla kapong preow wan - Sweet and sour seabass

All these with drinks only 1,650 baht or S$65

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was brought to a new place near my home for dinner last night

Silly people love the cockles so entree was hum and more hum

Hoi khaeng pow - Roasted hum

Meang hoi-kaeng - Boiled hum

Yam hoon saen - tang hoon yam

Pla-meuk pad khai khaem - Squid cook with salted eggs

Fried chicken with salt

Pla kapong thod kathiam - Deepfried seabass with garlic

Pla kapong preow wan - Sweet and sour seabass

All these with drinks only 1,650 baht or S$65

Just makes my mouth water looking at the good food that you posted......

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A bit of a Thai this morning from my little knowledge - the word kwayteow used here in Thailand is very different from Singapore. IN Singapore its a straight forward broad white noodle which sometimes we call horfun.

In Thailand the word kwayteow denotes noodles similar to our use of the word mee. So in Singapore if a person says he wanna eat noodle he would probably say eat mee or jiak meet (hokkien and teachew), saik meen (cantonese), seek mian (hakka) and in Thailand geen-kwayteow (geen is eat in Thai)

So in Thai kwayteow is NOT our horfun or broad rice noodle, if we want to call horfun here it will be sen-yai - sen as in noodle yai as in big. The word sen in Thailand is use for our word string and also denotes the type of noodle.

Sen yai (noodle big) - our kwayteow or horfun
Sen mee (noodle mee) - our version of beehoon or vermicelli
Sen lek (noodle small) - something not common in Singapore but its like a thicker version of our tang-hoon
Sen pla (noodle fish) - this is long strands of fish cake made into the like of noodle

as for yellow noodle for us we have mee-pok, yew-mee, seek-mee etc etc in Thailand all yew noodle are band into the word bak-mee.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
So in Thailand when someone wants to eat noodle for the meal he will say geen-kwayteow, so there are many types of kwayteow for example

Kwayteow tomyam - this is obvious tomyam noodle, most stalls selling simple fishball noodles will have this tomyam version too its simple to make just add lime some other ready made tomyam sauce and yo get tomyam noodle or kwayteow tomyam

Kwayteow lukchin - lukchin means fishball and fishcake or it can be meatball too, so lukchin pla is fishball and fishcake, lukchin moo is porkball and so on

Kwayteow moo - pork noodle

Kwayteow neur - beef noodle

Kwayteow pla - Fish noodle

Kwayteow gai - Chicken noodle

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally a not so common kwayteow, not so common to the tourist and visitor as this is not often found in the tourist places is kwayteow gai mala -

literally : kwayteow - noodle ; gai - chicken ; mala - bitter gourd. Or bitter gourd chicken noodle

A typical kwayteow gai mala stall at the roadside

The braised chicken

The stock and soup, see the pieces of bitter gourd in there with chicken blood and radish

The owner and chef

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What is so special is not just the food itself but the way, this is what I mean

People will order the food to the cook or even waiter and so sit and wait, now this is all self service and this is why

A table full of sauces and extra bean sprouts and extra fresh bitter gourd and fresh Thai basils, grounded peanuts, sugar, dry chili, paste chili all ready for customers to add at their own free will like a buffet, also there are chopstick and spoons, so its really DIY. On the dining table there is nothing no sauces like in a typical Thai noodle shop.

When noodle is ready the customers will walk over to the cook and get his bowl and off to the table nearby to garnish his noodle like this group of workers

Actually a person can order a normal bowl of noodle and be filled with the extras

The inside of the stall

Finally my noodle

The guy sitting opposite me is enjoying his share of braised chicken feet

Cheers and Sawasdeekrup

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wah....si Kup por...now lunch time liaozzz... your pics...make me hungry :oIo::biggrin:

That was my breakfast this morning and costs me only 35 baht or $1.40 which is special with more chicken, most people order the normal 30 baht or $1.20 and pack it with those extra veges.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
That was my breakfast this morning and costs me only 35 baht or $1.40 which is special with more chicken, most people order the normal 30 baht or $1.20 and pack it with those extra veges.

Looks like u still stuck in thai countryside factory...hahahaha. :biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Looks like u still stuck in thai countryside factory...hahahaha. :biggrin:

Oh no no no that was just outside my home before getting to the main road, there are many stalls a long the road open in the mornign for breakfast.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Nabei... had a lousy sandwich lunch...next time u dhl over!!!! :oIo::biggrin:

Oh no no no that was just outside my home before getting to the main road, there are many stalls a long the road open in the mornign for breakfast.