• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Get your Steve Jobs figurine before it gets banned again!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm ordering this before Apple sues them to hell. Sell in front of the Mac store for all the SJ fans so they can worship him and bless their Ipod, Iphone and Ipads with a prayer. "Oh thou Father Steve up above, may you bless thy holy trinity, Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, May you bless they holy trinity to never fall from high places and protect it from cracks and batteries explosions. Amen"

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/277294/20120105/steve-jobs-action-figure-apple-threatens-lawsuit.htm

Apple has allegedly threatened to sue Chinese company In Icons over its eerily realistic 12-inch action figure of Steve Jobs, the company's late founder. The 1:6 scale model, which was said to be distributed by DiD Corp. in late February, comes with the clothes and accessories popularized by Jobs, such as the black faux turtleneck, blue jeans and sneakers. The figurine, which is packaged in a box that looks like Walter Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" biography cover, also comes with a chair, a "One More Thing..." backdrop, as well as two red apples, including one with a bite in it. To make it extra creepy, the doll's realistic head sculpt features Jobs' famous unblinking stare.

Enlarge
(Photo: Courtesy/Inicon.com)
Apple threatened Chinese toy maker In Icon over it's 12-inch lifelike Steve Jobs action figure. The head of the company said he "will not stop," as the dolls have already begun production.
Related Articles

Apple’s iPhone 5 Launch Rumours Resurface

Apple's iPhone 4S Consumes More Data Than iPad Tablets: Study

Samsung Galaxy S3 Speculations

Related Topics

iPhone Apple Inc. Steve Jobs iPad Lawsuit Cancer
Get Companies Emails&Alerts

Tops industry stories by sector or region Sample

Apple reportedly wrote In Icons, telling the Chinese manufacturer that any toy that resembles Apple's logo or products, or Job's name or appearance, is a "criminal offense."

In Icons looks to sell the figure for $99 online in February, and the company has made it a point to not easily concede to Apple.

"Apple can do anything they like. I will not stop, we already started production," said Tandy Cheung, the entrepreneur behind In Icons. "I love [Jobs] very much and I think there are a lot of people like me who want to have his action figure."

Must Read

Big America Burger 2012: A McDonald's Timeline of Fatty Patty Releases in Japan

Romney Back in Spotlight, Faces Barrage of Attacks

Sponsorship Link

Like us on Facebook

Cheung reportedly spoke with several lawyers from Hong Kong, who told him that he wasn't in violation unless he decided to brand any of his designs with Apple products or logos.

"Steve Jobs is not an actor, he's just a celebrity," Cheung said. "There is no copyright protection for a normal person. Steve Jobs is not a product... so I don't think Apple has the copyright of him."

Jobs took many appearances over the years, starting his career as a hairy and barefooted young CEO and transforming later into a slender and bespeckled grandfather figure. Cheung said he chose Job's signature style from his 2007 keynote at MacWorld, where he introduced the iPhone and officially changed the name from Apple Computer, Inc. to Apple, Inc.

"Everybody can only recognize Steve Jobs in that style," Cheung said.

Cheung's In Icon doll was originally shown performing all kinds of motions, opening and closing his hand around an Apple, posing on a stool, and even holding up a mini-iPhone and iPad. Those items won't come with the doll, however, because that would violate Apple's copyright.

Before Jobs died on Oct. 5, 2011, Apple had quashed several other attempts to create a Steve Jobs doll. In November 2010, Apple demanded M.I.C. Gadget Store, a Hong Kong-based company, to stop building and selling a Steve Jobs action figure. After Apple gave the same explanation of copyright and trademark protection, M.I.C. re-released the figurine in January 2011, redressing the Apple founder as a ninja, complete with a black belt, mask and ninja stars. The company called the doll, "Pineapple CEO."

Not easily fooled, Apple responded with a curt letter:

"Mr. Jobs has not consented to the use of his name and/or image in the Product," the company wrote. "The figure and its stand are replications of Mr. Jobs's image and Apple's trademark. The thin attempt to 'disguise' the figure in its current iteration does not impact the fact that you are plainly trading on Mr. Jobs's image..."

Cheung said he began work on the Steve Jobs action figure long before he knew he was sick with a rare form of pancreatic cancer.

"I love Steve Jobs for many years," he said. "I didn't know when he would die, but we did have it prepared."

While Apple's copyright infringement claims are questionable, attorneys believe a Steve Jobs action figure released after his death violates the "right of publicity," which is a state law that protects one's image, voice, photograph, identity or signature from being used commercially without consent. Furthermore, California's Celebrity Rights Act in 1985 protects a celebrity's personality rights up to 70 years after their death.

"[Jobs's estate] has every right to enforce this," said Lawrence Townsend, an attorney with IP firm Owen, Wickersham and Erickson, based in San Francisco. "I expect there will be a lawsuit to follow."

Currently, there is no successor-in-interest claim for Steve Jobs in California's special filing registry. However, a claim for "Steve Jobs" or "Steven Paul Jobs" can be filed and registered at any time by Jobs's estate.

"I think the best way to remember [Jobs] is to make an action figure of him," Cheung said.

To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail: [email protected]
To contact the editor, e-mail: [email protected]

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pictures of the figurines.

jobs_figurine_2.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple 'threatens legal action' over Steve Jobs action doll
The makers of an action figure with an uncanny resemblance to the late Apple founder Steve Jobs are reportedly being 'threatened with legal action' by the computing giant.

The 12-inch figurine, which comes complete with Jobs's trademark blue jeans, sneakers and black turtleneck sweater, was created by Chinese company In Icons and was set for release in February. But 'their efforts have reportedly met with' a legal challenge with Apple allegedly threatening to sue the toy maker unless they cease trading.

The legal wrangle is over the likeness of the doll to the late Apple founder, the rights of which the company claims it owns.

Apple reportedly stipulates in a letter to the Chinese manufacturer that any toy that resembles the technology company's logo, person's name, appearance or likeness of its products is a criminal offence.

Online-auctioning site eBay is already selling the plastic doll at $135 each. The normal retail price would have been $99.

The action figure comes with a pair of black socks, some glasses, a leather belt, two apples (one with a bite taken out of it), a bar stool and a "One More Thing" backdrop.
The 12" figure depicts Steve Jobs, the former chief executive of Apple, who died last year, in his familiar black turtleneck and blue jeans. It will be available from February for around $100 (£64).

Accessories made to scale, including an iPhone 4 and a copy of the first Mac computer, will also be available but will cost extra.

InIcon, which is making the figure, will include a spare pair of glasses and extra hands - for gripping the prop accessories.

This is not the first attempt to market a Steve Jobs action figure. A company called MIC Gadget offered a model of the Apple founder for sale early last year for $89. However, that product was blocked by Apple's lawyers, who said:

"Mr Jobs has not consented to the use of his name and/or image in the Product. Unauthorized use of a person’s name and/or likeness constitutes a violation of California Civil Code Section 3344, which prohibits the use of any person’s name, photograph or likeness in a product without that person’s prior consent."

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
No worries lah. Can just recast the head in resin. There will be alot of bootleg copies coming out soon. Anyway, this sculpt is not a very good resemblence, wait for sculptors from HK.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
best resin are made in japan. but they follow law. so dun expect them to make anytime soon.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go google hottoys, that is the lead in quality sculpting....some eye balls can articulate one.:o Wait for recast and painted with oil paints.

One amerian can cast in resin, no need painting, but looks like real flesh with all the blood veins and skin pigments.

But if you want to buy, go ahead lor:smile:

Look nice leh.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope.

It depends on the following individuals, sculptor, mould maker, casting process and method, as well as the type of resin used.

I gotten good ones from UK as well.

best resin are made in japan. but they follow law. so dun expect them to make anytime soon.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go google hottoys, that is the lead in quality sculpting....some eye balls can articulate one.:o Wait for recast and painted with oil paints.

One amerian can cast in resin, no need painting, but looks like real flesh with all the blood veins and skin pigments.

But if you want to buy, go ahead lor:smile:

this hongkong one look better than amercian hottoys one, dun know what you are looking at.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hottoys is hongkong with production in shenzhen, painters in hk.

The one in the pic is from a prc company, if I am not wrong.

American company produces crap in this industry.

this hongkong one look better than amercian hottoys one, dun know what you are looking at.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is a bit sidetrack question. If I provide a photo is can they sculpt a personalised resin for me? Where can I find something like this and how much would it cost?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Yes any sculptor skilled in miniature can do it with photos taken from different angles.

2. I don't know how much it cost, but there are artists offering such services in states, prc and even in singapore.

3. They will sculpt in clay, make the mold with silicon rubber etc, cast in resin or fiber glass etc.

4. You can google 1/6 scale forums, I have not been with this for a long time since.

5. Maybe you can ask in hottoys facebook (they have very good sculptors, or one shop in jalan sultan (maybe)).

6. Technically achievable but depends on how deep is your pocket and luck.

7. If you go prc, many artist and cheaper.

Here is a bit sidetrack question. If I provide a photo is can they sculpt a personalised resin for me? Where can I find something like this and how much would it cost?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, found several sites that could do it for around $100. I think I'll do more research on this.

1. Yes any sculptor skilled in miniature can do it with photos taken from different angles.

2. I don't know how much it cost, but there are artists offering such services in states, prc and even in singapore.

3. They will sculpt in clay, make the mold with silicon rubber etc, cast in resin or fiber glass etc.

4. You can google 1/6 scale forums, I have not been with this for a long time since.

5. Maybe you can ask in hottoys facebook (they have very good sculptors, or one shop in jalan sultan (maybe)).

6. Technically achievable but depends on how deep is your pocket and luck.

7. If you go prc, many artist and cheaper.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
growth men who buy steve jobs figurine, you are gay right? I cant think any straight men doing that.