• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can assure you that not every Singaporean thinks that way, there are some who hope to see Malaysia succeed. The comments you have heard is already very mild. Together with my countrymen, some of my friends from other parts of Malaysia also have not even heard of Iskandar or Nusajaya and first thing they say is that it will end up like Putrajaya or Cyberjaya (associating the "jaya" part of the place)

Indeed it might but at least diss it only after you have seen it.

Some folks from KL are only starting to realise the existence of Iskandar, if not for a dinner with some of them (my wife's newly hired staff) recently, otherwise they have never even been to Nusajaya or heard of it. Have to introduce them to the growing parts of Johore and the notable progress it has made.

Just to share, I have personally heard of the following when myself or a local friend brought their friends/relatives in(Please note that these are serious questions posed with no sarcasm) and we have to take them with a straight face and explain patiently:

1. Are you sure that there are no more daily robbery with guys toting guns now?
(Happened many years prior, it happened to my relatives in Pelangi on a CNY, for many years after that, the family had a bitter quarrel, blamed each other for what happened. Splitted and we were instructed by my father to stay away from Johore until i came back 2008)

Yes, back when i was a teenager, i was already a regular weekly visitor of JB with my then girlfriend (and later wife) walking over, by bus or taking taxis across the causeway. All activity stopped after that fateful CNY.

2. Penang got robbery, will it affect your place or not? Penang is next to Johore only right?
3. KL now got demonstration, will spillover for sure, do you want to evacuate? KL very near what, half an hour will reach Johore at most.

1. You said Horizon Hills, do you mean you guys are living in the hills? (Sua Teng Lang - akin to savages)
2. Do you really have toilets there? Do you still use "pong teng" kerosene lamps. Any TV sets? Got electricity meh?
3. Don't bluff, are you sure you use washing machine?
4. What Legoland, is it all made up of legobricks? Are you sure there is even electricity to run the rides?

Haha actually in 2009 someone told me he always go fishing trips in JB and I remember I also asked him then whether it is dangerous? Also came to know one Malaysian SPR working in SG and living in JB, that was the first time I heard about someone taking CW3 to work everyday. Then in 2010, another colleague from Malacca told me he bought a house in JB.

Actually back in mid 2000s, I also went to see JB houses but after that there were some high profile robbery and rape cases that were widely reported. Plus my colleague family were robbed at a petrol station. This scared me off until late 2010. However, better late than never huh.

westcoastbay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely not surprising.

Have met people who avoid going Malaysia because it is unsafe.

They even rather go Batam then go Johor.

Irony!

Last edited:

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you guys notice the street lamps are all lighted up from 2nd link all the way to Jusco ? Infact some of the things are now better than Singapore.

The street lamps are all lighted up too on coastal highway the last time I went past. In the past, it was like about 60 % were lit. Think elections are on the way :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
They are clearing the land and creating the landscape for the island and cove in hh. ..many otherwise vacant bunglows in ledsng ht were sold and re developed into bigger houses.

The development is indeed rapid in nusajaya... If u guys ever notice the plants and trees in bukit indah, you shd know that they r much more creative compared to the spore planters

It is indeed rapid, the lights, the action and then the cinema. So crowded, even locals were talking whats happening here. My wife met up with a lot of KL folks recently who were amazed by the change. Never in their lifetime did they ever expected this rapid change.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Definitely not surprising.

Have met people who avoid going Malaysia because it is unsafe.

They even rather go Batam then go Johor.

Irony!

Agree, its sad but funny as well. I remembered some of my visits to other countries(which i shall not name), never felt comfortable there even though i visited their islands many times.

Two incidents i remembered:

1. Open wallet at different malls - One moment no one around you, the minute you open it, 10 people suddenly appear behind completely out of nowhere and look directly and hard at your wallet as if they never saw a wallet before

2. Driver got mugged halfway through a rest stop and we had to pay "money" to "release" him. The usual obligatory tips still apply for the guide and the driver even though we had to pay "extra"

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The street lamps are all lighted up too on coastal highway the last time I went past. In the past, it was like about 60 % were lit. Think elections are on the way :smile:

Yes its pretty much lighted up, same for the 2nd link as parts of it is no longer in darkness. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Wuji ....That lights up all the way to HH n Nusa Idaman ?

Yes it does, i think they are still testing the lights though but its no longer that dark here.
I was and still remain in awe for the progress made here.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Some of the dirt that was dug up by the Prof is amazing and that may have caused problems for himself. Sad but true, he asked Singaporeans to be responsible and ask their Government to also do the same. I read that he also received alot of hate mails before the Blog came down!

Went to have a look, its true the account has been suspended. The cached copy is still reachable though for those who are interested to find out more:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...stopherbalding.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=sg

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my colleagues (Msian, SPR) mentioned a few of his friends started to talk about Iskandar properties. Previously probably none. I've directed him to this forum to read more..

2 other colleagues that i asked (Msian, SPR) still think Penang or KL is a good place for property investment.

A good friend (S'porean with Taiwanese hubby) said she's looking forward to visiting Legoland, no interest in property there.

I use them as indicators as to when Iskandar is getting more popular.

Do share more, Wuqi.

True, some of them when we brought them here including folks who have left (and are now coming back) as well as relatives from East Malaysians or those from KL/Penang got a huge shock. Indeed things may still fail i reminded them but look at how things have progressed, it may still regress but it will still be a good place
to retire even without the theme parks or big developments.

Just the infrastructure here including relaxation, medical, entertainment is enough to support. Was interesting though, as an outsider, introducing their country back to them. Glad to at least give them a new perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
One of my colleagues (Msian, SPR) mentioned a few of his friends started to talk about Iskandar properties. Previously probably none. I've directed him to this forum to read more..

2 other colleagues that i asked (Msian, SPR) still think Penang or KL is a good place for property investment.

A good friend (S'porean with Taiwanese hubby) said she's looking forward to visiting Legoland, no interest in property there.

I use them as indicators as to when Iskandar is getting more popular.

Do share more, Wuqi.

Thanks, i will. :smile:

Just off work and was going to bed when i remembered my wifes car needs petrol (all her cars "magically" refills/gets serviced/tyre inflated, etc)

On my way out, saw the guards looking abit tired so thought of buying drinks.

Went to fill up, saw a police roadblock on the opposite direction of the road. Was driving past a red light junction near the petrol station
and almost got banged by a car who just turned out of a junction and straightaway headed for the extreme right lane without looking.

Luckily that car has all disc brakes and new tyres so stopped in time. The driver did not see me and when he did, his whole car froze in
that lane. I then turned in and went to pump petrol and just ignored him. Some drivers are still practioners of the "Bo nang Bo nang"
(literally in Teochew/Hokkien = nobody, nobody) style of driving.

On the way to the coffee shop, another car practising "bo nang bo nang", this time a red plate SG one swerved into my lane and then
took two lanes as it took a long time to keep left but he waved, i waved too.

Went to coffeeshop, at first bought 2, then remembered that there were more guards so bought much more including tea for myself.
In the end, after giving to all the guards and keeping one for myself, went into my precint but encountered another guard so in the
end, now making my own tea. :smile:

geritan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I received a letter from Msia govt, informing me of my income tax ref no. I'm Singaporean and residing in JB but not working in JB. Is there any action I need to take? Anybody also receive such letter?

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Star/Asia News Network
Thursday, Jun 07, 2012
KUALA LUMPUR: The Government has announced that the retail price of RON 97 will be 10 sen less at RM2.80 per litre from today.

In a statement yesterday, Second Finance Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah said the lower price was in line with the dip in average global crude oil prices in May.

He said that the retail RON 97 price, in principle, was fixed based on a managed float whereby the monthly price was determined according to market forces.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, i will. :smile:

Just off work and was going to bed when i remembered my wifes car needs petrol (all her cars "magically" refills/gets serviced/tyre inflated, etc)

On my way out, saw the guards looking abit tired so thought of buying drinks.

Went to fill up, saw a police roadblock on the opposite direction of the road. Was driving past a red light junction near the petrol station
and almost got banged by a car who just turned out of a junction and straightaway headed for the extreme right lane without looking.

Luckily that car has all disc brakes and new tyres so stopped in time. The driver did not see me and when he did, his whole car froze in
that lane. I then turned in and went to pump petrol and just ignored him. Some drivers are still practioners of the "Bo nang Bo nang"
(literally in Teochew/Hokkien = nobody, nobody) style of driving.

On the way to the coffee shop, another car practising "bo nang bo nang", this time a red plate SG one swerved into my lane and then
took two lanes as it took a long time to keep left but he waved, i waved too.

Went to coffeeshop, at first bought 2, then remembered that there were more guards so bought much more including tea for myself.
In the end, after giving to all the guards and keeping one for myself, went into my precint but encountered another guard so in the
end, now making my own tea. :smile:

Bro, I always drive with the driving lights on. Sometimes that "little light" catches the attention of the other driver when they are attempting their maneuvers, BUT at the end of the day, always best to be attentive when driving, the practice of "Bo nang Bo nang" seems infectious.........:*:

Last edited:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you wuqi256.

My wife and I are looking at NUSA DUTA. Do you have any friends who want to sell their properties or any reliable agents you know can intro me? Thanks! =)

hello jerry

welcome to the forum , just got to know u are my friend's hubby.....
Do note that your first 10 posts will be moderated and therefore delay a bit ....

cheers!

Last edited:

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Planning to buy a resale unit in JB. Can any expert here tell me what are the procedure like? Agent says..
1) 1% downpayment
2) Give him the paper work for bank loan
3) Bank contact me
4) Sign the S&P
5) Pay legal fees
6) Pay taxes
7) Pay stamp duty
8) Pay agent fees

Then collect keys?

Is this correct? Is there anything I can ask for like discount or free legal fees etc? Newbie here, would really appreciate anyone feedback. Thank you!

Also foreigners levy of RM10k ..... heard going to raise again very soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.