• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickyu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funds Transfer said:
Hello brother Nickyu, are you in the real estate business?

Any comments on the road ahead for the properties in Bt Indah?

Hi Fund Transfer,

Unfortunately im not in real estate business, that guy is my uncle so just showing him ard and sharing with him on my inputs..im just a small investor who bought a property in hh and looking forward to get some more from other development in jb..for bukit indah area, i only like nusa duta and nusa bestari...the design, security and location is gd...however it'll be even better if traffic is not as bad..

You planning to get one in bukit indah?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
a row of shophouses at Bukit Indah, near to Crystal cafe..

064bc934.jpg

vileong

Alfrescian
Loyal
So sorry to hear that, bro. U know I have always hoped that things will work out for u. Don't give up, keep on instilling the idea to her and hope the one day it will change her mind, when the time is right.

Bro wuqi has a point, if possible, commit one now for retirement later is a good idea. Give it a serious thoughts, before things are priced even much more out of reach soon.

There will be two S'pore run educational center called Exceslor International School and Kinderworld in Bandar Seri Alam by late 2013. Pls Goggle to find out more.

vileong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, Just to share, Bina Park was ready for sometimes but had been making modifications and waiting for CFO. Bluebell terrance houses or Sapphire 8 (Terrance and Semi-D) looks better.

vileong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys, i'm new here and I'm planning to join the 'Living in JB" gang the soonest :smile:
recently came across BINA PARK Villas at Bandar Seri alam, ever heard of it?

i've been reading but all I could gather are HH, EL , ST etc...
Need advices from the experienced ones, appreciate your help.

Hi, Just to share, Bina Park was ready for sometimes but had been making modifications and waiting for CFO. Bluebell terrance houses or Sapphire 8 (Terrance and Semi-D) looks better.

Geminipegasus

Alfrescian
Loyal
New to this thread, just registered after stumbling upon this site. I share the TS view on Singapore. Have been worrying how to retire peacefully with the skyhigh inflation in Singapore and the sad state of affairs. Decided to live in JB and now starting to search for a house.

vileong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I once asked to sign up for a Samsung Tab with plans from Maxis and was turned off when they asked me to pay a RM 1000 deposit.

I understand that Unifi is the best of all and during the weekends, I sometimes see them setting up tents and you can sign on the spot. Regarding the deposits I really am not sure if they will waive it. But most HH residents are non-Malaysians anyway so if they sincerely want to target HH residents, they should waive the deposit.

For the weekends users, you may try using Maxis pre-paid card on USB modem drive. Just top up the SIM card and buy subscription like RM 3 per 2 hrs or RM 8 per day. In most area, you can be connected via HSPDA, not as fast like Unifi but good enough

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nusa Idaman sales office has shifted opp to the shop houses area. Very small compared the previous one.
Today sales office a lot of ppl as if having Lelong sales.

Last edited:

Whathefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been a few mths since i visited JUSCO Bukit Indah. OMG.. the crowd is like 2x the usual, macham like SG's shopping centre already.. don't should feel happy or sad.
Missed the serenity, but the crowd means good for business.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been a few mths since i visited JUSCO Bukit Indah. OMG.. the crowd is like 2x the usual, macham like SG's shopping centre already.. don't should feel happy or sad.

Bro it is totally expected since its the school holiday already for both spore n msia.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal

But hope not too crowded with singkies. Always spoilt market.

Btw I from little red dot.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Seems not only those from SG coming out here, there were 5 cars worth of Japanese came by today, all looking to buy or rent. Someone just rented out their double storey, non golf facing semi d for 7k. Also, a learned neighbour commented today, lots more Caucasians these days staying here, walking their dogs, jogging, etc.

Yesterday was at Dynamic paintball and the archery range at Danga city, so many number 4s it was so funny, the old version, more macho ones.

Even the Chinese are coming out here as a couple of them bought lots of stuff at the pro shops and one of them has a unit in LF as well. While we are still nitpicking on all the nitty gritty, people already got into the action. now, many are still unaware. Yes, this place may still fail even with theme parks, 8 universities, new hospitals and business and industrial parks but how bad can it be if one just buys one for own stay?

Again, it's not for everyone but it is getting to be more of a viable option and more so as the day passes. I have had people lamenting about Nusa Duta now when back then they had ample time and choices.

Respect for the early pioneers who once came out here 10 years ago and they did all they could given the circumstances but seriously past performance is not a good indication of the future. I have people from KL asking about houses when I was showing a friend around, they thought that I was a local from the directions I gave them.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
New to this thread, just registered after stumbling upon this site. I share the TS view on Singapore. Have been worrying how to retire peacefully with the skyhigh inflation in Singapore and the sad state of affairs. Decided to live in JB and now starting to search for a house.

Congrats and hope that you find something you like here. Perseverance is one of the often forgotten traits required to succeed anywhere.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Btw, heard from guys here that even Nusa Duta new cluster launches are about 860k and new semi ds are 1m plus. They have limited units for us foreigners though, brought friends to see my soon to be completed cluster. One look from my wife and she straightaway said its a keeper, so likely 5 units will keep for very long term. Total of 7 right now in total including commercial but not going for more as I don't want to over stretch. Some of my funds went into paying for friends as well so just being prudent.

My wife said i am really terrible, always forcing my friends and relatives to buy houses, commercial units, etc. it's a heavy responsibility when recommending though but just doing my due duty, I hope to see people around me succeed. Luckily some of them listened back then.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear 11b holders, please do have a look here and consider this as one of your options. At the very least, come and have a look and then go back with the knowledge that it is or not suitable for you.

Give it a chance at least, it is worth that much. Things have moved on at such a rapid pace that even folks from KL are surprised. I was also surprised that when I was recently at a showplace, most of those asking questions were from KL. in fact, a whole big group of them, can feel attitudes changing here.

A week back, also spoke with some Aussie guys at the clubhouse who were keen, I asked them whether they feared crime etc but it seems other people have a whole different focus than on just crime alone. Two families were pretty that they were going to come out here, very friendly guys.

I am sure though, for every successful transition here, there are still others who moved back, it's not for everyone, mainly retirees, weekenders or those seeking to do business here. Speaking of which, lately so many businesses sprouting up here, even those forgotten or closed down places are starting to see activity.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The Japanese guys today were really coming out in force, they parked all over and My wife counted at least 5 cars and they even spoke with some neighbors as well to ask if they were keen to sell/rent.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Everyone,

I have a corner house in Nusa Idaman Precinct 8A that I want to sell; keys handover should be in June/July. Reason for selling: I have a bigger corner unit in P8B that we are keeping for own stay. PM me for more details on the P8A corner house.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting your Ad in the right thread. Will be moving this later to merge with your other posting.

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar lure for Singapore - Malaysia Star

Singapore has the means but lacks land while Johor has abundant land but lacks the means. Enter Iskandar Malaysia ...

ISKANDAR Regional Development Authority (Irda) anticipates the second phase of Iskandar Malaysia development from 2011 to 2015 to be more challenging than phase one which was from 2006 to 2010.

Chief executive officer Ismail Ibrahim tells StarBizWeek that while the first phase was about planning and building foundations, the next level is about growth and expansion.

A semi-detached house in Permas Jaya, Johor costs a fraction of that in Singapore.
He says the next three years to 2015 will be about leveraging on developments from phase one.

“The challenge will always be there... in different forms. The question is whether we are able to anticipate it,” he says.

He adds that risks are unavoidable in an undertaking the scale of Iskandar Malaysia, hence stakeholders need to do risk management.

Located in the southern-most part of Johor, Iskandar Malaysia is the country's first economic growth corridor launched in 2006, spanning 2,217 sq km three times the size of Singapore.

A five-year progress report on the economic region by Irda forecasts Iskandar Malaysia would need total investment of RM383bil (US$115.7 bil) over the next 20 years.

It generated a total cumulative committed investments of RM84.56bil until the first quarter of this year.

“The next move is to continue attracting more domestic and foreign investors through a systematic approach and strategy of engaging with them,” he says.

Irda is looking at investments averaging between RM15bil and RM20bil yearly from 2011 to 2015, up from RM10bil-RM15bil targeted from 2006 to 2010.

The tide seems to be turning in favour of the region. Singapore-based Jones Lang LaSalle head of residential project sales David Neubronner says interest in the region was limited and muted in its initial years but has changed dramatically of late.

The Singapore factor

“Singaporean interest, until recently, has generally been muted and limited to a handful of developments like Leisure Farm and Horizon Hills. However, the situation has changed quite dramatically recently,” says Neubronner, in an email interview.

Iskandar Malaysia is now spoken in the same breath as Johor Baru and has become synonymous with the city.

No longer do developers say they have a project in Kota Tinggi or Johor Baru, or some other specific town.

It's “we have a project in Iskandar ”

Tangibles like new highways and improved landscaping have helped. Other tangibles include the September launch of themepark Legoland and educational facilities in Educity.

“For Iskandar to succeed, we need the Singaporeans to agree to play ball,” says Chur Associates managing partner and legal advisor Chris Tan, who promotes Malaysian properties to foreigners. “Johor has always been Singapore's factory. Iskandar Malaysia is like Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Shenzhen is thriving today because of the Hong Kong factor.”

While Singapore has the means, it lacks the land. Johor has abundance of land, but lacks the means.

Iskandar Malaysia is presented as a new territory with ample opportunities for all, particularly Singaporeans in terms of value, growth and possibly future retirement plans, Neubronner says.

He says there are lots of push and pull factors to steer interest to Malaysia in general, and the Iskandar scheme, in particular.

“The rapid price appreciation of Singapore properties over the past 30 months is one of them,” he adds.

“With new price levels, Malaysian properties become relatively cheaper. For example, a new semi-detached house in Bukit Timah, Singapore costs S$5mil (RM12.4mil). A similar house in The Straits View Permas Jaya Johor, 10 minutes drive from CIQ Johor, is S$500,000 (RM1.24mil) or a fraction of what it costs in Singapore.

“And that same house in Permas Jaya offers a view of Senoko Singapore (a power station),” quips Neubronner.

While Iskandar beckons, on the other side of the causeway, the Singapore government has implemented a slew of anti-speculative measures to deter investors in Singapore from speculating in the Singapore property market, he says.

“As a consequence of these measures, investors are going overseas, such as London, Australia and Malaysia.”

From the global property perspective, property values in Malaysia and London have “depreciated” on the basis of the strong Singapore dollar.

Supporting the strong interest for Malaysian property investment is a market well supported by robust fundamentals, including political stability, economic growth and a fast growing middle class which is driving demand in the overall market.

Neubronner says interest subsidy schemes offered by Malaysian developers, which is not available in Singapore anymore, is another key attraction.

In this scheme, an investor needs to put in as little as 10% cash downpayment and nothing thereafter until the development is completed, which may be three to four years down the road.

“Should the property appreciate by 10% at completion, the investor would have doubled their investment, before outgoings,” says Neubronner.

But the formula of affordable property prices and easy credit alone will not have worked if not for friendly government ties between the two countries,” says Neubronner.

Iskandar's early days

The guardians of Iskandar could not be more illustrious and the political weightage could not be more influential. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, and the Johor menteri besar are keenly involved. Irda, the agency that regulates, plans, promotes and strategises Iskandar Malaysia's growth, reports directly to them.

Goverment-linked company (GLC) Khazanah Nasional Bhd drives the corporate motor with managing director Tan Sri Azman Mokhtar having a seat on the Irda board.

Other GLCs involved include Iskandar Investment Bhd (IIB) and the UEM group. There is a reason for such heavyweights. This is the first of several economic zones being promoted by the Government. So far, it has also been the most successful, despite its muted start.

Former Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi launched the growth corridor in 2006, then known as Iskandar Regional Development. It attracted much Middle Eastern interest. These initial investors came with their riyals and dirhams to buy land with the aim to become master developers.

The project then was very much government-driven. The scarcity of land for development in the Klang Valley and the proximity to Singapore prompted the private sector to invest in Johor.

Today, some of the country's top developers have interest here. These includeBRDB Developments Bhd, the Eastern & Oriental group, Mah Sing and SP Setia group. Their move down south has given credibility to the project, says Neubronner.

Says a property lawyer promoting Malaysian properties to foreigners: “Malaysia was viewed as among the more progressive, moderate and modern Islamic states in the region. It was this factor which attracted the Middle Eastern investors to our shores. (But in the opening up of any region), you need people who actually come and stay and not just to buy land. And our closest neighbour is Singapore,” he says.

A report from Jones Lang LaSalle in London may provide the clue why Singapore is important for Iskandar Malaysia's success. The report says Singapore has the world's highest concentration of wealthy people and is considered as “the Switzerland of Asia”. And all the wealth are just across the causeway.

Singapore has more millionaires per capita of its five million population than anywhere else on the planet, reported The Telegraph. Although other countries have more total millionaires because of larger populations, the little red dot in South-East Asia has more as a percentage of its population.

The catalyst to the strong buying interest from Singaporeans has been the warming of political ties between the two governments and their leaders, says Neubronner.

Ties improved when Najib hosted his counterpart Lee Hsien Loong at an inter-governmental meeting in March. Both countries were looking for opportunities to expand beyond their borders. International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed says the Singapore business community is looking to relocate or expand operations in Iskandar Malaysia.

That meeting was quickly followed with Temasek Holdings (Pte) Ltd and Khazanah Nasional Bhd announcing they would jointly develop about RM30bil of projects in the south of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore.

The developments in Singapore will include hotels, apartments, offices and shops in two main areas of the city state while the Iskandar developments will have homes, retail space and “wellness-related offerings”.

Singapore Business Federation did not respond to questions emailed to them. The Association of Small & Medium Enterprises in Singapore says it does not have information about Singapore's SME interests in Iskandar Malaysia.

Brian, a Malaysian businessman, with Singapore PR status, who has been living in Johor “off and on” the past 10 years, says the Singapore factor is important for Johor to succeed “much faster.”

“We need the support of Singapore because it is a successful neighbour and has a well-established brand name. It is generally felt that if Singapore companies were to invest in Iskandar, it will be quite safe for others to follow,” he says.

While government-to-government ties are important, other prerequisites are needed. These include good infrastructure in the form of roads and connectivity, services, amenities and aggressive marketing and promotional efforts from both private and public sector.

“With each passing day, the challenge (seems) less daunting,” says Neubronner.

Legoland Malaysia will be opening its doors Sept 15 to provide the leisure component. Over one million visitors are expected during its first year of operations.

“We are expecting to have over 70% to 80% of the visitors from Malaysia and Singapore, with the rest are international visitors,” says Legoland Malaysiageneral manager Siegfried Boerst.

The park's pre-opening promotional drive, which began in January, resulted in 35,000 annual passes sold online by the closing date on April 16, the highest ever recorded for the sale of pre-opening annual passes for any of the Legoland theme parks.

Singaporeans make up the majority of foreign buyers who bought 40% of those passes. Malaysians bought the other 60%.

Even without Legoland, Singaporeans were enjoying the beach and island resorts over in Johor over the years.

Brian says he is drawn to the open space and serenity of Johor. He has bought a holiday home in Leisure Farm some years ago.

EduCity provides the education framework. In the next five years, Iskandar is expected to have 10,000 students, nine universities and schools. Raffles University Iskandar vice-president (services) and registrar Gan Chin Huat says its American-curriculum school is targeting 1,000 students in 2017.

Of the 3,000 students targeted for Raffles University Iskandar, half of them are expected to be Malaysians and the rest from around the region.

On how it will attract students to Iskandar, Gan says Raffles Education Corp is a quality name in Asia Pacific and its graduates are well received by industries.

Raffles will offer hostel facilities in the new campus at Iskandar and also shuttle students over, he says in an email interview.

The Raffles education group has 32,000 students in the 38 Raffles Colleges in 35 cities in 14 countries.

Of the three universities and 38 colleges in 14 countries, Gan says they only have one Raffles College of Higher Education in Singapore with the rest located elsewhere. In Malaysia, the group currently has one Raffles College in KL in addition to the Raffles University Iskandar and Raffles American School in JB.

While Singaporean and Malaysians with PR status remain a prime target, and with the US and the eurozone the way they are, other Asian investors from Indonesia, South Korea, China and Vietnam are being keenly sought.

The building blocks for the next chapter attracting investors are being put together today. But challenges remain.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday, visited a family friend who bought a bungalow unit at The Hills. For bros who did so, isnt the golf course a little too close for comfort? It could be rther dangerous for the units, esp if hopeless golfers like me are playing. Just wondering....

The unit he bought was 13,000 sq ft & really gd view. And it was only RM2.4m as recently as 2010! Haiz....

Status
Not open for further replies.