• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Clark Quay hotel fuck up wedding dinner, then call in mata when couple refuse to pay

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hotel calls police on newly wedded couple
Shin Min Daily News - 11 mins ago

pc_600x450.jpg

A hotel called the police last night after a newly wedded couple refused to foot the bill for their wedding dinner.

The wedding dinner, with about 200 guests at 20 tables, took place last night at a hotel located in the Clarke Quay area.

The newly wedded couple was unhappy with the hotel's service during the banquet and as a result, refused to pay an outstanding bill of $8,000.

The bride, Mrs Wu (30, purchaser), explained how the hotel messed up their wedding dinner.

First, the hotel had served them poor quality food.

She said that the fish dish served to the bride and groom's families were smelly and both tables had rejected the dish without taking a single bite from it.

The same fish dish sent to the other tables were also not fully cooked.

Second, Mrs Wu said that the wait staff had rushed through the dinner, which started at 8.25pm and ended at 10pm.

She said that guests were not given enough time to start on the dishes before they were cleared away. After a dish was served, it gets cleared away in less than five minutes to make way for another dish.

Guests even had to call out to stop the wait staff from taking away unfinished dishes.

Third, the hotel failed to provide insufficient wine glasses during the dinner. This resulted in awkward situations when guests were toasting the couple.

Lastly, the wait staff served VIP guests plain water even though the couple had specifically brought two bottles of their own brandy for the VIPs.

The dinner consisted of eight dishes with each table costing nearly $1,000. The couple had paid a deposit of $10,000 prior to the dinner and were supposed to pay another $8,000 last night.

Because they refused to pay up, the hotel called the police on the newlyweds.

The couple eventually paid the sum after police intervention but are asking for compensation from the hotel.

The hotel has promised to give them a reply by next Monday.

Source: Shin Min Daily News, 3 December 2011.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Clark Quay hotel fuck up wedding dinner, then call in mata when couple refuse to

Nxt time he/she wed again can try Mac...so much chipper n no such above mention problem exist...:wink::biggrin::p

take-wedding-wish-lanterns-to-your-big-day-a-McDs.jpg

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Clark Quay hotel fuck up wedding dinner, then call in mata when couple refuse to

I'd love to know which fucked up hotel is this.. if a vendor doesn't fulfil a contract satisfactorily, the customer doesn't need to pay. Stupid police should have left this as a civil dispute!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'd love to know which fucked up hotel is this.. if a vendor doesn't fulfil a contract satisfactorily, the customer doesn't need to pay. Stupid police should have left this as a civil dispute!

Yeah, this appears to be a contractual dispute, a civil case. This is Something that should be taken care of in a small claims court & not police. Always thought that police was suppose to handle more serious cases like rioting. However a few years ago, someone who was hurt in a gang fight was told it was a civil case:eek: Obviously our police force has become a tai chi force that only aswers to the PAP:rolleyes:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal

FT take taxi dont pay, mata say can't do anything. Now wedding couple don't pay, then.................

Yeah, this appears to be a contractual dispute, a civil case. This is Something that should be taken care of in a small claims court & not police. Always thought that police was suppose to handle more serious cases like rioting. However a few years ago, someone who was hurt in a gang fight was told it was a civil case:eek: Obviously our police force has become a tai chi force that only aswers to the PAP:rolleyes:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nxt time he/she wed again can try Mac...so much chipper ...
u tink mac dunno how 2 cum out wif abalone burger, ah? ...

btw, can u imajin how n abalone burger looks like? ... :confused: :wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its a contractual civil matter. The fact that there is a deposit and a completion payment is indicative that both are in commitment. If the customer is well within his rights to withhold payment. If the attending policemen gave any indication to the couple that they have to pay despite being not satisfied, then they will be trouble.

The right approach for the hotel is not to call the Police but follow-thru with negotiation. These negotiation need not take then and there but a few days later or thru legal parties. Police authorities should warn or penalise the Hotel for abusing the service.

Now the customer is in bad spot, unable to negotiate from a position of strength.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Shouldn't mata ask what it is all about before responding?

2. Hotel also got their own security? Mata got talk to hotel security bo?

Its a contractual civil matter. The fact that there is a deposit and a completion payment is indicative that both are in commitment. If the customer is well within his rights to withhold payment. If the attending policemen gave any indication to the couple that they have to pay despite being not satisfied, then they will be trouble.

The right approach for the hotel is not to call the Police but follow-thru with negotiation. These negotiation need not take then and there but a few days later or thru legal parties. Police authorities should warn or penalise the Hotel for abusing the service.

Now the customer is in bad spot, unable to negotiate from a position of strength.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I totally agree with what Scroobal has stated.
It is a purely civil dispute.
Both affected parties can "pray for a private summons" before the Learned Magistrate in the Sub Courts to seek redress.
The police officers attending the dispute should never had made any "order".
That would be "ultra-vires" their powers under the Police General Orders and Force Act.
I suggest, that the Police Divisional HQs conduct special induction courses for its officers and invite people from the legal fraternity to give talks.
This will widen the scope of the police officers knowledge.
Maybe, the time is ripe now since the Ministry of Home Affairs is led by Mr Teo Chee Hean and not WKS.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
If It Affects PAP Mafia Boss' Coffee Money From Tax, Yes !

Saddam-Hussein.jpg

If it's going to affect his 'majesty' income, of course, the police must put on a good show to show loyalty (lapping dogs) !

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree that the hotel should not have called the cops, however one is obliged to pay for any FnB consumed - not paying is against the law.In this case, I can only surmise that the hotel reported as the couple stated outright that they would not pay instead of negotiating the next day (pending payment) when the FnB mgr or someone senior is around to negotiate and make a decision. Having paid the bill, they do have a recourse thru legal means if they are not agreeable to the outcome as they have valid reasons for sloppy service and quality of food.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I will try and put it in layman's term. You only need to pay the outstanding in full if you are got what you asked. . Not paying is not against the law.

Here is the approach

1) The couple notifies the hotel that the services and goods are not up to expectation and not in agreement with terms and conditions of their agreement.

2) The couple then tells the Hotel that the ball is in their court to address it. The hotel can do any of the following:
  • Deny and demand full payment by means of legal recourse by sending a letter of demand
  • Come to an agreement and reduce the amount due as compensation
  • Agree, do not seek any further payment or even offer compensation higher than the deposit placed to avoid a lawsuit for embarrasing the couple during an auspicious moment in their life.
3) The Couple need not pay a dime until the matter is resolved. All they have to do is provide a reason. The couple can walk out without any fear or favour. The couple can also sue the hotel for various damages and if found in their favour, can get compensation many time over the total bill of $18,000. The Hotel is supposed to be an expert at providing a wedding service. To them it is not a rare event.

Now that the couple have paid in full, the hotel can completely ignore them. The only hope is to take a legal course with lots of expenses.

Agree that the hotel should not have called the cops, however one is obliged to pay for any FnB consumed - not paying is against the law.In this case, I can only surmise that the hotel reported as the couple stated outright that they would not pay instead of negotiating the next day (pending payment) when the FnB mgr or someone senior is around to negotiate and make a decision. Having paid the bill, they do have a recourse thru legal means if they are not agreeable to the outcome as they have valid reasons for sloppy service and quality of food.

Last edited:

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heard form some part-time hotel staff that some hotels don't pay for the taxi fare for the staff if they worked pass midnite. Hence I guess these staff are rushing through the dishes so as to be able to catch the last MRT / Bus home. As for crappy food what do you expect now a days even 5star also cut corners by serving sub standard quality and asking for top price.

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Shouldn't mata ask what it is all about before responding?

2. Hotel also got their own security? Mata got talk to hotel security bo?

That's why I say mata is useless and brainless. They probably heard the name of a big hotel on the radio car call and immediately went even there shouldn't be police case.

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heard form some part-time hotel staff that some hotels don't pay for the taxi fare for the staff if they worked pass midnite. Hence I guess these staff are rushing through the dishes so as to be able to catch the last MRT / Bus home. As for crappy food what do you expect now a days even 5star also cut corners by serving sub standard quality and asking for top price.

Last month I attended a friend's wedding in a RWS restaurant. It was a wedding lunch, not dinner. The food was also bad. Every friend and relative were grumping making the new couple very embarrassed. If I ever get married, I won't want a wedding lunch or dinner. I think book a honeymoon tour package is enough.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I will try and put it in layman's term. You only need to pay the outstanding in full if you are got what you asked. . Not paying is not against the law.

Wow no shit screwball what a master genius you are trying to explain such a simple situation and trying to make it sound as complicated as possible. I like it when you mention the most obvious things and try to pass off as a prodigy.

In any case here's a case of copulation that i'm going to explain in layman's terms to you. Fuck you.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last month I attended a friend's wedding in a RWS restaurant. It was a wedding lunch, not dinner. The food was also bad. Every friend and relative were grumping making the new couple very embarrassed. If I ever get married, I won't want a wedding lunch or dinner. I think book a honeymoon tour package is enough.

I can never understand why people cough up so much money for a 10 course meal that doesn't even taste good. Just go to ROM and sign on the line. Save the money for the honeymoon and renovations.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

ah now i remember too. My brother's wedding lunch also had some problems with the food. I think some of the prawns were bad.

The guests had remarked. I didnt have time to eat as i was helping around. This was not a hotel lunch but was catered and held at a church ground.

In the end the caterer gave my brother a discount.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I can never understand why people cough up so much money for a 10 course meal that doesn't even taste good. Just go to ROM and sign on the line. Save the money for the honeymoon and renovations.

I wonder what's the name of the hotel. The wedding couple and their guests should try their best to tell their family and frens and so on the word that the hotel's service sucks. Get it out there. Bad publicity would hurt the hotel i suppose.