• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to get UK Citizenship

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not fair. Hong Kong and Jamaican citizens can get the citizenship faster cause their are closer in the commonwealth

Hong Kongers are quite stateless to the UK and classified as British Subjects with preferential treatment for UK citizenship. I think there was a cut off date or quota.

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
look like they also beginning to tighten their laws/rules about it.
one of the reason,maybe a lot of those terrorists can get it very easily.
and also those true British people or home grown are also making a lot of noise. they pay a very high taxes and it is supporting those people and then they create a lot of problems.

The high tax only come into effect when earning exceed GBP23k or so. But generally, even up to GBP30k should not feel the high taxation. For family tends to benefit more e.g. child benefit for the 1st child is about GBP70/mth, also child tax credits of at least GBP50/mth or so. Depending on income, there are more benefits to claim.

Healthcare is provided for all. In Wales, even the prescription drugs are free. Dental care is subsidised for adults whereas children gets free treatment. Education is also free from nursery to Pre-U. University is still free in Scotland where a small fee for England/Wales.

Fresh graduates like engineers, accountant, etc. get between £20-25k, for non-London salary, typically. For that amount is about 20-25% tax which include state pensions. The take home pay is about £1.5k or so, after tax, I hope I estimated correctly. Comparing to Singapore graduate, it is also a £ to $.

For that amount, could own a car (not new) and even live in a nice share flat or small apartment. MacDonald's meal is about £4 whereas in Sg is $5+. Petrol is £1.10 per litre and in Sg is $2? You can eat a nice 2-3 course meal in a restaurant for £10-15 whereas in Sg is about $20-30? A pint of beer is about £2+ and in Sg is $5 or more.

I would think life is better off in the UK. Remember, you still get a state pension, free healthcare, company's private pension + private healthcare, etc.

When comes to work, there is hardly overtime. 5-day week is standard, infact some companies operate 4 or 4.5 day week as standard. You get more life here.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
you will be second class citizen there.
unless you have something special that they need.

i know a few Vietnamese's boat people who have good degrees and very good with their work and knowledge. but they are being overlook during promotion.

I have UK citizenship. It's great. Never had any problems with travel and I can take up residency anywhere in the EU.

I'm thinking of a nice villa in the south of France or the Alps region. It's great for those who enjoy cycling.

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
The high tax only come into effect when earning exceed GBP23k or so. But generally, even up to GBP30k should not feel the high taxation. For family tends to benefit more e.g. child benefit for the 1st child is about GBP70/mth, also child tax credits of at least GBP50/mth or so. Depending on income, there are more benefits to claim.

Healthcare is provided for all. In Wales, even the prescription drugs are free. Dental care is subsidised for adults whereas children gets free treatment. Education is also free from nursery to Pre-U. University is still free in Scotland where a small fee for England/Wales.

Fresh graduates like engineers, accountant, etc. get between £20-25k, for non-London salary, typically. For that amount is about 20-25% tax which include state pensions. The take home pay is about £1.5k or so, after tax, I hope I estimated correctly. Comparing to Singapore graduate, it is also a £ to $.

For that amount, could own a car (not new) and even live in a nice share flat or small apartment. MacDonald's meal is about £4 whereas in Sg is $5+. Petrol is £1.10 per litre and in Sg is $2? You can eat a nice 2-3 course meal in a restaurant for £10-15 whereas in Sg is about $20-30? A pint of beer is about £2+ and in Sg is $5 or more.

I would think life is better off in the UK. Remember, you still get a state pension, free healthcare, company's private pension + private healthcare, etc.

When comes to work, there is hardly overtime. 5-day week is standard, infact some companies operate 4 or 4.5 day week as standard. You get more life here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beg to differ.

Firstly, you probably can't claim child benefits if you are on work permit as child benefits is classified under public funds, and your visa is for no recourse to public funds. If you claim child benefits or child tax credits, you might be in trouble if you try to renew your work permit or apply for ILR.

Secondly, 1.5K pounds is very pathetic in UK. You should get a much better life as an engineer or accountant in Singapore. For 1.5K, half of it will go into rent (which is outrageous at current levels), so you are only left with half for your living expenses. At the end of the day, you will have no savings.

If you want to work in UK, then your salary should be at least 40K pounds before you get a comfortable standard of living in UK (outside London, 40K in London is useless).

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beg to differ.

Firstly, you probably can't claim child benefits if you are on work permit as child benefits is classified under public funds, and your visa is for no recourse to public funds. If you claim child benefits or child tax credits, you might be in trouble if you try to renew your work permit or apply for ILR.

Secondly, 1.5K pounds is very pathetic in UK. You should get a much better life as an engineer or accountant in Singapore. For 1.5K, half of it will go into rent (which is outrageous at current levels), so you are only left with half for your living expenses. At the end of the day, you will have no savings.

If you want to work in UK, then your salary should be at least 40K pounds before you get a comfortable standard of living in UK (outside London, 40K in London is useless).

A person on WP visa is rather restricted. No recourse to public funds. However, access to healthcare and education for children is available.

I was comparing a fresh graduate between the UK and Sg. Getting £40k p.a. is not difficult and many professional get that amount easily, outside London. For Sg, most young adults tend to live with parents, nothing wrong, however, for almost exact comparison, you would need to consider renting a flat in Sg. And given a fresh graduate in Sg, earning $2k/mth would not be enough.

In fact with £40k, you could lead a very very comfortable life, living in a house with a nice car and Singapore earning S$40k cannot give you that sort of quality of life.

It is always difficult to compare like for like. The lifestyle is so different from Sg. I find living in the UK still cheaper than Sg. The quality of life is so much better. I suppose one man's meat is another's poison.

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
A person on WP visa is rather restricted. No recourse to public funds. However, access to healthcare and education for children is available.

I was comparing a fresh graduate between the UK and Sg. Getting £40k p.a. is not difficult and many professional get that amount easily, outside London. For Sg, most young adults tend to live with parents, nothing wrong, however, for almost exact comparison, you would need to consider renting a flat in Sg. And given a fresh graduate in Sg, earning $2k/mth would not be enough.

In fact with £40k, you could lead a very very comfortable life, living in a house with a nice car and Singapore earning S$40k cannot give you that sort of quality of life.

It is always difficult to compare like for like. The lifestyle is so different from Sg. I find living in the UK still cheaper than Sg. The quality of life is so much better. I suppose one man's meat is another's poison.

That's indeed difficult to compare. 40K quid is not like 40K SGD for sure. For the same position, even if you get 50K SGD in SG, you wun get 50K quid in UK for sure, more likely 30+ quid only.

Moreover, tax is UK is pretty high. For those earning even up to 80K SGD, you can pay less than 2% tax considering all the benefits you get. However, for around 40-50K pounds, you are already paying more than 30% taxes. Quite a big difference. NI is a killer.

Of course, if you consider rental, then SG is probably not good, as the rental in SG is now close to that outside of London. If you consider that most of us pay the mortgage via CPF, then UK is crap. Frankly, although I like staying in the UK, but the rising cost of living is forcing many Brits to leave. Definitely the country is becoming less attractive for immigrants nowadays.

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Kongers are quite stateless to the UK and classified as British Subjects with preferential treatment for UK citizenship. I think there was a cut off date or quota.

They used to have preferential treatment last time.
Not sure if it is the same now after China took back.