• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to get UK Citizenship

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
How to get UK Citizenship? Any advice?
Please note that the HSMP is about to be replaced by Tier 1 (General), part of the UK's new five-tier points based system. Read here for more details.
The UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) has been very successful since it was introduced on 28 January 2002. On 7 November 2006 the points requirement for HSMP (The Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) went up to seventy-five points and a number of other significant changes were made.
Submit your details here to have your HSMP points score calculated for entry to the UK under the UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP):
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) Points Calculator

<form method="post"> <!--Your Current Status

<fieldset> <select name="hsmp_form" onChange="window.location='/maintenance.htm'"/> <option value="1" selected="selected">I am making my first HSMP Application</option> <option value="2">I am currently in the UK under HSMP and wish to apply for an HSMP Extension</option> </select>
</fieldset>-->http://www.ukimmigration.com/hsmp/hsmp_calculator.htm
</form>

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HSMP is unlike Canadian or Australian point system where you can get permanent residency once you attain certain points.

HSMP is like a waiver of the work permit for you to get into UK to find a job. I believe if you get into HSMP, you can work in the UK without a work permit for a year.

However, to obtain UK citizenship, you need to have ILR (indefinite leave to remain), which is similar to permanent residency for at least one year. To obtain the ILR, you would need to have worked in the UK for at least 4 years. Hence, you will need at least 5 years before you can get UK citizenship. If you claim asylum, that will be a different story :smile:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
you will be second class citizen there.
unless you have something special that they need.

i know a few Vietnamese's boat people who have good degrees and very good with their work and knowledge. but they are being overlook during promotion.

AliKati

Categories that can lead to an application for permanent residence in the UK include:

Ancestry (after 5 years)
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) / Work Permit (after 5 years)
Marriage / Unmarried (after 2 years)
EU Nationals and their dependants (after 5 years)
Long Residency (after 10 years as a legal resident or after 14 years as a combination of illegal and legal residency in the United Kingdom)

If you can afford to stay as a student for 10 years, you can apply for this.

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
I score 85 points.... looks like UK is a good place to start with....

beng

That only matters if you want to apply for their new points based system (HSMP is scapped). Under this scheme, you can go and live and work in UK. However, you still need to find a job yourself.

Please take note that UK's cost of living is extremely high, especially in the London area. So it is better if you can get a job offer before going, else you could end up destitute.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
That only matters if you want to apply for their new points based system (HSMP is scapped). Under this scheme, you can go and live and work in UK. However, you still need to find a job yourself.

Please take note that UK's cost of living is extremely high, especially in the London area. So it is better if you can get a job offer before going, else you could end up destitute.

I probably be going to bradford where I got my MBA.... its a nice town and yet not crowded as London...

beng

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rules will be changed very soon, I am talking about either this month or next as mentioned in UK news. The duration needed to obtain indefintie leave to remain (aka PR) will be 8 years instead of 5 years or work permit of HSMP.

Check the Home Office website for more details.

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every city in the UK can be nice as long as you know where the dodgy areas to avoid. Just look at the house prices and you can easily tell . To be honest, any parts of city or suburbs infested with ah nehs will be cheap to live.

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rules will be changed very soon, I am talking about either this month or next as mentioned in UK news. The duration needed to obtain indefintie leave to remain (aka PR) will be 8 years instead of 5 years or work permit of HSMP.

That's bad. They keep changing the rules. With the super high cost of living there, very soon everyone will be avoiding UK.

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal

You have any links on the new rule changes ? I can't find it on the Home Office or Border Agency websites. The last rule change was from 4 to 5 in 2006, wonder why they changed it again.

A

Alu862

It's not fair. Hong Kong and Jamaican citizens can get the citizenship faster cause their are closer in the commonwealth

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hear they are implementing rules to make it harder to become a citizen. You need to serve certain hours of community service to qualify - this weeds out the opportunists. A good move to me, since they realise what ah nehs are doing to their country.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
look like they also beginning to tighten their laws/rules about it.
one of the reason,maybe a lot of those terrorists can get it very easily.
and also those true British people or home grown are also making a lot of noise. they pay a very high taxes and it is supporting those people and then they create a lot of problems.

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the hell would you wanna go to bradford for?!! Its an absolute hellhole, and some places, like the Boilerhouse, is such a shithole ppl bring guns into it. You are better off staying in Adel and working in Leeds. Its a little whitebread in Adel, but its the NORTH you are talking about.

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's bad. They keep changing the rules. With the super high cost of living there, very soon everyone will be avoiding UK.

I think amongst all European states, UK immigration rules are lax. To make it tougher is to align to other Western European states.

jyjyjy

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have any links on the new rule changes ? I can't find it on the Home Office or Border Agency websites. The last rule change was from 4 to 5 in 2006, wonder why they changed it again.

The UK govt wants to "force" all immigrant holding ILM visa (aka PR) to take on citizenship. They will be adopting Australia's system of limiting PR visa duration. Otherwise they will withdraw benefits. I think there are too many leechers in the UK or any other European states.

The current issue focus on Eastern European states added into the EU. They are leeching off many Western states welfare system. So, this is a bigger problem for them.