• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why our university system is killing the young "engineers" and "science" students

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With that in the backdrop, many science and engineering students primarily seek only to obtain a paper qualification that indicates some quantitative training and at the same time gives them, as a safety net, license to apply for a technology job. What this causes is a lack of interest in coursework and eventual lack of knowledge retained after graduation. As a result of this, many engineering graduates lack the confidence or ability to do engineering. Most of those who do take up technology-related jobs take on sales roles or roles that previously would have been done by non-graduate technicians. It might be said that the real supply of engineers in the labor market has fallen.

In the financial industry, many science and engineering graduates take on sales jobs and work on basic quantitative analysis. Most do not even know how to properly price a financial derivative and end up selling products that they themselves do not understand. (Insurance policies are in essence financial derivatives too.)

In fact, I have even met “scholars”, including those who studied overseas at great public expense, who cannot satisfactorily describe what they did in their final year projects not 5 years ago. Can one reasonably forget work that one recently spent a year or half a year on? If “scholars” who are, as a population, more effective learners starting to see university as a four-year paid vacation, this hints at a larger problem in new and upcoming members of the workforce.

- http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=34437

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have a friend who became a bona-fide banker who was previously working in HP. Started out small, but now has move on to being a private banker.

Unfortunately, in the current state of things in SG, shifting money as fast as you can to make money is the order of the day, not an honest day work of making products or building capital goods.

Even in the finance industry, a lot of "bankers" just salesmen, selling complicated instruments and all they know is just pointing at the big text that says "XXX%" return...

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my ex-classmate also from HP, now a private banker. he confided that he was ousted from hp due to politics. but he is now more successful in his career as a banker.

i wanted to be an engineer all my life but lky's cronies just like to mess pple's life upside down.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
my ex-classmate also from HP, now a private banker. he confided that he was ousted from hp due to politics. but he is now more successful in his career as a banker.

i wanted to be an engineer all my life but lky's cronies just like to mess pple's life upside down.

go back drive taxi la

its also a honest living, stop daydreaming

TheFootballer

Alfrescian
Loyal
You learn how to price financial products and instruments in your 101 classes. You learn how to correctly do it with years of experience and proper guidance. It takes alot of passion to continously update themselves.
Very few sinkies are willing to stagnate themselves in this line for 5-10 years to reach a VP status. Not to mention alot rotate out and never come back. Those in managerial positions weed these pple out fast because its a waste of time to themselves grooming the uninterested.

Many then turn to become bankers. These frontliners do not need to understand what they are selling. They learn bits and pieces along the way. They are recruited based on their networking skills and self-presentation. Most don't even possess banking and finance qualification. No bank will invest on training them because sinkie bankers hop around faster then my garden bunnie.

And why would you need bankers to possess such knowlege other then to take a swipe at them?
Would you want your personal banker do give you 2 hr lecture on asset and funding? Do you need a wholesale banker to explain how their rates are derived?