• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can you call a non-English man, an English barrister ?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
We all know JBJ and many others sat for the English Bar Finals and qualified as Barrister-at-law.

So if a person is not of UK nationality, just like JBJ and LKY, can they claim that they're English barristers ?

And is barrister a form title just like doctor ? Is it right to address, say LKY, as Barrister Lee ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
English barrister Tan Lee Meng argued his case at the Hague. British surgeon Mr Lee Ah Kow operated on 10 yr old Hamid Aziz who was hit by shrapnel near the battle zone. Tan Lee Meng might be a Singaporean but holds British PR and practices law in England. Lee Ah Kow might also be Singaporean and hold a British PR. No, they cannot be called an English Barrister if they don't practice in the UK. Nationality does not come into play neither does ethnicity. English teacher Khoo Ban Huat had an argument with Maths teacher Sankaran in front of RI lobby. Barrister, Solicitor are not salutary titles

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We all know JBJ and many others sat for the English Bar Finals and qualified as Barrister-at-law.

So if a person is not of UK nationality, just like JBJ and LKY, can they claim that they're English barristers ?

And is barrister a form title just like doctor ? Is it right to address, say LKY, as Barrister Lee ?

You just can't help it and need to create a thread to mentioned LKY again. This time you need to pull in jbj too. You scared peopel here forget about LKY is it?

You job is to ball licked your master in order to get paid. How pathetic!!!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Wah finally caught you. Worth losing the sleep.

English is not the nationality. British is the nationality LOL

I'm afraid it isn't that simple. That's why England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland all have national football and rugby teams.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I suppose a person whom originally isn't from england but migrates to england and gets British citizenship could be considered an english citizen?

It's the same with other countries. The nationality and the ethnicity are the same. Hence a chinese citizen aka a person holding citizenship in china can be a non ethnic chinese but still be considered chinese. Same thing with the japanese and so on.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I suppose a person whom originally isn't from england but migrates to england and gets British citizenship could be considered an english citizen?

It all depends who you ask. As long as you don't call a Scotsman "English", you should be reasonably safe.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm afraid it isn't that simple. That's why England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland all have national football and rugby teams.

These are British home nations, not nationalities in international context as all hold the same British nationality and passport whether from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Britain doesn't have four seats in UN, just one as every recognised nation has. That Britain is allowed four teams in some sporting events is due to historical reasons that England and Scotland pioneered those sports and tournaments and have longstanding sports associations that predated international federations. The most obvious examples are football and rugby.

Yes, it's a complicated protocol. In the Olympics, Britain is allowed to field one British team only.

It's the same with other countries. The nationality and the ethnicity are the same. Hence a chinese citizen aka a person holding citizenship in china can be a non ethnic chinese but still be considered chinese. Same thing with the japanese and so on.

Nationality can be changed by migration. Ethnicity can't be changed.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
These are British home nations, not nationalities in international context

If you add the "international context" factor, then the term "United Kingdom" has to be added to the mix along with Northern Island.

lianbeng asks leongsam the english expert, "united kingdom, great britain, and england, are they all the same?":rolleyes:
i don't think so.

I found a site that explains everything perfectly.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain.html

UK

<tbody> </tbody>

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
lianbeng says, "see, they all occupy the same continent, so that's why they speak the same language: english. same as singapore mah - we got yishun, kranji, bedok, tuas, bt merah - thats why we all speak the same language: singlish lor!":biggrin:

hi there

1. beng kor, it is not the same as here with our amk, bedok or chua chu kang thing.
2. england, scotland, wales etc have different set of structures,policies and public administration.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nationality can be changed by migration. Ethnicity can't be changed.

yes obviously the pt i was making is that some ethnic groups have the same name as their country. Like chinese and china, english and england and so on. Therefore in some circumstances you can refer that person to said group. Example would be a non chinese person that has china citizenship. Is he a chinese then? Well when ppl refer to someone as a chinese almost 100% of the time they are referring to his ethnicity. Yet technically you can call someone that has china citizenship a chinese but ppl would usually call such a person a chinese national.

In any case the majority of ppl from said ethnic group tend to reside in the country with the same name as their ethnic group. Most english ppl live in england, most japanese live in japan and most chinese live in china. Therefore it's not wrong to assume that an english man for eg lives in england.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually and traditionally on legal forms and documents, there're two columns for you to fill - nationality and race. The question of race has been getting politically incorrect and insensitive and dropped off from many such forms and documents.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
So for someone like JBJ or LKY who did not practise in England even though they were called to the English Bar, if we need to highlight the fact that the person is qualified as a barrister, can we say he is an English qualified barrister or UK qualified barrister ?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
So for someone like JBJ or LKY who did not practise in England even though they were called to the English Bar, if we need to highlight the fact that the person is qualified as a barrister, can we say he is an English qualified barrister or UK qualified barrister ?

Qualified in England and Wales, yes. Scotland has different legal system. So, not entire UK.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do ppl of non english especially asian or african descent refer to themselves as english barristers if they qualify for the bar?

Even though western nations have many ppl of non western descent in them ppl still consider someone that is referred to as english to be a white person.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do ppl of non english especially asian or african descent refer to themselves as english barristers if they qualify for the bar?

Even though western nations have many ppl of non western descent in them ppl still consider someone that is referred to as english to be a white person.

Does a Singaporean who studied medicine in UK, came back to Singapore to practise, call himself a British doctor? Practising lawyers in Singapore are known as Singapore advocates and solicitors, regardless of where they get their qualifications from as long as they qualify under Singapore laws. Your problem has always been with the white factor. Being white is nothing superior, get it over your inferiority complex. It's not the color of one's skin, but the content of one's character and mind.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does a Singaporean who studied medicine in UK, came back to Singapore to practise, call himself a British doctor? Practising lawyers in Singapore are known as Singapore advocates and solicitors, regardless of where they get their qualifications from as long as they qualify under Singapore laws. Your problem has always been with the white factor. Being white is nothing superior, get it over your inferiority complex. It's not the color of one's skin, but the content of one's character and mind.

get your head out of your ass. SInce when have i ever said whites are superior? Moron. I'm the one bringing up ppl whom are partially white or the hypocrisy of the whites.