• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NS Liabilities for Kids Migrating

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is often a nightmare for those who are leaving Singapore. The govt has never ever revealed the criteria for inclusion. Until Aug 2006, these were main operating criteria.

1) The child must have PR visa for a foreign country before his reaches 11 years of age and must actually leave by age 11. Until Aug 2006, all male Singapore passport issued before the age of 11 expired at age 11. Now it is 13 years of age.

2) Any renewal of the passport indicates that the child is now enjoying the privilege of citizenship. Any return to a local school, taking up NRIC etc is also considered falling under the criteria of enjoying the privilege of citizenship. Once the child enjoys the "privilege of citizenship" he must do NS.

3) This journey does not stop here, it carries on until the child becomes an adult at the age of 21. The 2 important steps that must be followed.

4) Step 1 - having migrated, at the age of 13, the child must apply for exit permit which can be done by e-mail. As this considered migrating for good. No bond is required. The clerk will tell you that a bond is required, don't give in. Deal with the Officer. If you fail to apply when the kid reaches 13 and the application is late, a notice of an offence committed will be issued which can be compounded with a fine. They will then grant you the exit permit.

5) Step 2 - The exit permit is valid until age 16 1/2. Once this is expired, you need to seek deferment until the age of 21 and indicate that you do not wish to return to Singapore. A deferment will be granted and when the child reaches 21, you will asked to renounce the Singapore citizenship. If your kid suddenly realises that PAP is the party for him, he then must renouce his foreign country citizenship and return to do his NS. If the latter happens you can assume that you failed as a parent or your kid is just not smart.

6)During this journey, your child can travel in and out of Singapore with no issues. Your child can also work in SIngapore once he reaches 21 and enjoy privilege of being a talent while having a safety net in a developed country.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thank you for this concise and easy to follow set of directions.

Many of my emigrated pals 10 years ago would have paid good money just to get this set of instructions.

As a parent, I will teach my kids to value their own talents and to use their abilities for the good of their families first and foremost, and secondly, for the good of the community.

If my kid thinks doing NS is a good way to use his youthful energies and his abilities, I will jump MRT.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I first did this nearly 12 years ago, because I felt sorry for the number of kids who can never ever step into Singapore ever again. This tragedy continues till today. These things are seldom mentioned outside family circles. Some parents feel they made a mistake, others were misled while most just don't have access to information.

I once helped the niece of an ex-President. Tells you how secretive these arseholes are.

If my kid thinks doing NS is a good way to use his youthful energies and his abilities, I will jump MRT.

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I first did this nearly 12 years ago, because I felt sorry for the number of kids who can never ever step into Singapore ever again. This tragedy continues till today. These things are seldom mentioned outside family circles. Some parents feel they made a mistake, others were misled while most just don't have access to information.

I once helped the niece of an ex-President. Tells you how secretive these arseholes are.

Why feel sorry for the kids who can never setup into Sinkapore again? It's so refreshing to be out of the country... you should be happy that these kids are leading a free life. Not everyone is so fortunate you know...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea is have your cake and eat it. If done properly the whole world is yours access wise. Which means freedom. You can connect flights thru Singapore. Let me give you some examples.

1) IBM chap working in OZ could not travel to Singapore Regional Training Centre for training. Though he left when he was 2 years old, family did not follow procedures. Now classified deserter.

2) Ex- Singaporean promoted to regional post for an American MNC. Unable to take up AP posts, Company intervened via lawyers no hope. This chap was not even born here but family applied for Singapore citizenship by descent.

3) Sikh family holds large wedding at Port Dickson resort as 2 of the family members did not follow procedure. JB too tacky for wedding. Family did not want to say that they cannot hold wedding in Singapore.

On the other hand, the ones who followed procedures, no issues. Some are working here holding high position. Only caveat is to hold the employment pass and not get itchy backside and get a PR. A singapore PR passholder who is born a Singaporean or previously held a SIngapore PR automatically has to do NS even is he has previously followed procedure and renounced his citizenship. There is an age cap for this. I think it is 28 or something.

One major issue is that someone who does not follow the procedure can never ever renounce his Singapore citizenship and will continue to be classified a deserter even if he does not want to return or visit Singapore. He makes a false declaration anywhere in the world when he declares that he is only holding one citizenship. Some of you will recall the chap in Canada who wrote to SDP his long letter on this very issue.

Why feel sorry for the kids who can never setup into Sinkapore again? It's so refreshing to be out of the country... you should be happy that these kids are leading a free life. Not everyone is so fortunate you know...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, follow the procedures and if one has to do it, just do it and get it over and done with. I've checked with my CMPB EPO friend. NS registration is at age 16 and enlistment is at age 18. That probably everyone knows. A boy before age 7, his parents may bring him to anywhere in the world and he owes no liability whatsoever. He just loses his Singapore citizenship. If between ages 7 and 16, i.e. the primary and secondary school years, he is classified as "a person required to register for NS at age 16." He cannot renounce his citizenship.

There used to be passport and exit permit restriction but that's been since liberalised. It's used to be 2-year passport and compulsory exit permit application subject to case-by-case approval to anywhere except West Malaysia. Now male citizen classified as liable for NS or serving NS can leave anytime to anywhere. If he doesn't return, he'll just be classified as abscondee (before NS) or desserter (during NS).

Now exit permit is only required when you declare that your travel abroad will take more than six months, i.e. surely for working or study, can't be tourist travel anymore. And also meaning, a disruption is required, whether NSF or ORD since even after completing NSF, than six months will likely overlap a reservist recall.

"A person required to register for NS at age 16" used to be for male citizens only but has since been expanded to include male PRs who're in Singapore between ages 7 and 16. However, unlike citizens, PRs can choose to leave instead of registering. He owes no further liability except that he'll never be granted PR again.

The difference between registration and enlistment is of course medical examination. He'll be examined at age 16 upon registration and examined again at age 18 for enlistment to go and do the real stuff.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks scroobal, this is very helpful. With no transparency from govt, it has created so much discussions on various sites. Best bet is a summary like this that arrived from hear-say from people who has done it. Last I know someone who left with a kid above 7 n below 13 does not have to pay bond.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
With this govt, one needs all the help. Thanks.

I had a chap who was also advised that he was asked to fork out the bond. He spoke to the NS contact service centre which is outsourced. Told him to deal directly with CMPB and put the header - Migrating. No need to for bond. Hope everyone shares their experience.

thanks scroobal, this is very helpful. With no transparency from govt, it has created so much discussions on various sites. Best bet is a summary like this that arrived from hear-say from people who has done it. Last I know someone who left with a kid above 7 n below 13 does not have to pay bond.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With this govt, one needs all the help. Thanks.

I had a chap who was also advised that he was asked to fork out the bond. He spoke to the NS contact service centre which is outsourced. Told him to deal directly with CMPB and put the header - Migrating. No need to for bond. Hope everyone shares their experience.

confusion is compounded with conflicting instructions from various ministries. mfa has complex maze on bio metric passports vs old passports, validity of passports, extension to renewal policies, bonding requirements, etc. mha has its own set of instructions, and this ministry still rely on old info for exit permit guidance for their staff as they have personnel manning ports of entry and departure. ica has staff that are clueless about age cut offs and bonding requirements. mindef will tell you 1001 variations of monkey king transformations depending on who is on duty that day. very simply it's best to take no chances with these bozos. observe cut off years, do what is necessary, be
careful to avoid getting passport renewed for kid, keep all docs and papers and emails, continue to engage as rules keep changing, and never abandon the legal process as like you said, kids grow up and they need to visit sg nonetheless, for conference, business, family, work, etc. sg is still an important hub for transit and conference related events. btw, your new exit permit requirement from 13 to 16.5 is correct. for bio metric passports, no exit permit is required if trip is less than 3 months. for exit permit of 2 years or longer, a $75k bond or 50% of combined gross income of both parents is required. it is also safer to assume that bonds may be required if kids reach 11, according to mfa and mha guidance. with mindef, the safest is to get the kid out before 7 or commencement of primary 1. they will change goalposts again and at anytime.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
4) Step 1 - having migrated, at the age of 13, the child must apply for exit permit which can be done by e-mail. As this considered migrating for good. No bond is required. The clerk will tell you that a bond is required, don't give in. Deal with the Officer. If you fail to apply when the kid reaches 13 and the application is late, a notice of an offence committed will be issued which can be compounded with a fine. They will then grant you the exit permit.
Hi Scroobal

1. Do we initiate the request for exit permit - or does Mindef send us a letter to register the boy for NS, and then we respond applying for online exit permit via NSportal?

2. If we need to speak to an officer regarding waiving the bond requirement - who can we call - ie. is there a specific officer to call or just call the general CMPB hotline as listed at the NSPortal?

3. What do we actually say to waive the bond? - ie. something like:
"Hi my family, including my son, has emigrated to XXXland. I would like to request an exit permit for him, as he has got XXXland PR. I do not wish to pay a bond, as we are not planning to return" ??

Hope you can help, thanks!

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro

You got to contact CMPB yourself. They won't know your address. Send an email to them give your status, background and they will guide you. Don't use the NS Portal. Put Header as Migrated to "OZ" or what ever country. Try this : [email protected]

There is no bond involved for those migrating and the kid is below a certain age, have PR stamp on their Singapore passport or already have a foreign passport. If they are suggesting bond, then the person handling it is not familiar or it is the wrong section.

If you have not left, drop by CMPB and they will guide you.

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro

You got to contact CMPB yourself. They won't know your address. Send an email to them give your status, background and they will guide you. Don't use the NS Portal. Put Header as Migrated to "OZ" or what ever country. Try this : [email protected]

There is no bond involved for those migrating and the kid is below a certain age, have PR stamp on their Singapore passport or already have a foreign passport. If they are suggesting bond, then the person handling it is not familiar or it is the wrong section.

If you have not left, drop by CMPB and they will guide you.

Thanks for the helpful info, mate!

kiwibri

Scroobal,
Did you read in Straits Times on 27 April 2011? See image attached below. What you make out of it?
NS-STapr2011.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The law has been the same from day 1. No loophole to close. Kids that migrate before reaching a certain age are still required to register for NS when they reach 16.5 years of age. Deferment is then granted until age 21. At age 21, if you renounce your citizenship at that age, you no longer are a citizen and therefore not liable for NS.

There are thousands that have taken advantage of the age criteria.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a general statement meant for the gullible. If you are ask the government for a statement on theft, rape and murder. They will tell you that it is an offence and anyone that perpetrates it will charged in court.

Then you ask them what about a 11 year old kid committing those offences?

Scroobal,
Did you read in Straits Times on 27 April 2011? See image attached below. What you make out of it?
View attachment 2487

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hi scroobal,

I need your advice on the NS issue for my son.

I read your post on this. My son is currently 9 years old. He turns 11 on July 2013. His passport will expire April 2013.

I understand from your post that we should apply for an exit permit for him. Do we do that before he turns 13 or when he turns 13?

I went to the MINDEF exit permit information website and it states :

If you are between 13 and 16.5 years old (You need to apply for an exit permit if you intend to travel or remain overseas for 3 months or longer. If you are remaining overseas for 2 years or longer, your parents/guardians will also need to furnish a bond, in the form of a Banker's Guarantee of S$75,000 or 50% of the combined annual gross income of both parents for the preceding year, whichever is higher.

How do you get the exit permit without paying the bond? Looks like a case of brinkmanship?

Are there particular keywords to mention that would help in the discussions? Eg if we say we will only be staying for 1 year instead of 2 years? And keep renewing every year?

I understand the process from getting the exit permit and then registering for NS at 16, getting deferment till 21 and then at 21 renouncing citizenship and thus no longer being liable for NS. However it looks like the way the government does it is that they require the bond from the parents and then forfeit the money (in the process making money). Is it possible not to furnish the bond?

Thanks in advance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as there is a Canadian PR migrant visa stamp on his passport and you state or say that you have migrated for good, the bond will not apply.

There are staff on the phone and there are also an outsourced contact centre who are not familiar with migrating families and will insist about the bond. Write directly to CMPB and make it very clear that you have migrated.

Once the 13 birthday is nearing send an email to CMPB and the make it very clear that your family has migrated. Do note that they will not ask you for an undertaking but that you merely state that you are migrating for good and Canada is your new home.

I read your post on this. My son is currently 9 years old. He turns 11 on July 2013. His passport will expire April 2013.

I understand from your post that we should apply for an exit permit for him. Do we do that before he turns 13 or when he turns 13?

I went to the MINDEF exit permit information website and it states :

If you are between 13 and 16.5 years old (You need to apply for an exit permit if you intend to travel or remain overseas for 3 months or longer. If you are remaining overseas for 2 years or longer, your parents/guardians will also need to furnish a bond, in the form of a Banker's Guarantee of S$75,000 or 50% of the combined annual gross income of both parents for the preceding year, whichever is higher.

How do you get the exit permit without paying the bond? Looks like a case of brinkmanship?

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Born Free Is The Best

born%20free%20logo.jpg

Acts 22

And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned? When the centurion heard that, he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman. Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea. And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born.

It's like saying, "Sorry hor ... I nok Singarpo ... I'm American." Custom officers balls drop.