• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fresh water fish or Sea water fish? whats your fav?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I prefer fresh water fish cox the meat is much more tender and I love the slight muddy taste of the fish, the only downside is that fresh water fish have more bones that sea water fish. Fresh water fish are good for steaming, cooking curry and grilling, while the sea water fish are good for frying and steaming too.

I hate eating seabass cox the flesh breaks easily, leaving a lump of paste in your mouth. I love patin fish, catfish, fish head fish.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I love eating freshly caught Garoupa... Back then I used to go fishing at the Mersing waters on chartered boat with my old buddies.. We caught many fishes.. Then we headed to land and our guide proceded to this seafood restaurant and requested the restaurant staff to cook the freshly caught Garoupa sweet and sour style... Then we downed it with cold beers... Shiok man..

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
No pref - It's not the cuisine, it's the cook.

Freshwater, so far best I've had is Soon Hock, and Walleye (both Chinese restaurants.)

Seawater - I would choose Red Snapper and Greek Porgry. I find these two species toe- can be baked, steamed, grilled, or fried.

Cheers!

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course it is Sea Water Fish. Caught a small snapper (about 2kg) during the recent fishing trip and steamed it that very night...

Heavenly!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i love a type of fish with tail and breasts and a chio bu face...i think its called a mermaid. L:OL

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i prefer salt water fishes....
Not many people in SG appreciate fresh water fishes, especially the women, smell the muddy taste, turn off liao.

If there's any fish dish on the table, i will whack the stomach and the fin area 1st, whahahaha

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
saltwater fish for me, best steamed.

The only way i can eat steamed freshwater is with lots of garlic, ginger, chilli and soysauce to mask the muddy flavour.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not many people in SG appreciate fresh water fishes, especially the women, smell the muddy taste, turn off liao.

If there's any fish dish on the table, i will whack the stomach and the fin area 1st, whahahaha

honestly, i like.

i like the m&d taste LOL

song fish, black tilapia ...my fav.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I was never a fan for fresh water fish for the same reasons some of you like it which is m&d smell and bony. However after coming to Thailand I was unknowingly introduced to fresh water fish and love some of it and depending on how it is cooked. Let me share 4 type of fresh water fishes I like and how its cooked.

1. White Tilapia (in Thai its called Pla Taptim ปลาทับทิม)

white tilapia.jpg

Like it deep fried with lots of garlic

White Tilapia Deep Fried.jpg

2. Black Tilapia (in Thai its called Pla Nin ปลานิล)

Black Tilapia.jpg

I like it steamed stuffed with lemongrass and spices and using the fingers to pinch the meat and eat with vegetables and beehoon. The sauce is the killer, fresh duck egg, dry chilli, nuts, fish sauce, raw sugar fresh spices

Attachments

• Black Tilapia Steam.jpg
    Black Tilapia Steam.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 128
  • Snakehead.jpg
    Snakehead.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
3. Snakehead (in Thai its called Pla Chon ปลาช่อน)

Snakehead.jpg

Like it the old style, covered with salt (not removing the scales) roast it over charcoal with lemongrass and spices stuffed into the mouth

Snakehead BBBQ.jpg

4. Catfish (in Thai its called Pla Dok ปลาดุก)

Catfish.jpg

Never like this fish except this style called Yam-Pla-Dok-Foo

cat.jpg

Attachments

• Snakehead BBQ.jpg
    Snakehead BBQ.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 224

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes joetsy, I was influenced by thai cuisine and indo cuisine, most of them uses fresh water fishes, hahaha...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Like I'd said I was never a fan even now if given a choice its still salt water fish however these four fresh water fishes I will eat but only cooked like this.

Anyway 2 months ago I bought 2 rods with shimano and ryobi reels planning to go fishing in Thailand so far no chance or rather don't know where to go. sigh.

Yes joetsy, I was influenced by thai cuisine and indo cuisine, most of them uses fresh water fishes, hahaha...

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like I'd said I was never a fan even now if given a choice its still salt water fish however these four fresh water fishes I will eat but only cooked like this.

Anyway 2 months ago I bought 2 rods with shimano and ryobi reels planning to go fishing in Thailand so far no chance or rather don't know where to go. sigh.
Chao Phraya River no fish meh? lol, hey, my pm empty liao, sending your niece photo to me huh? lol

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

aiyah..you can sell yur rods n reels to me cheap cheap..hehehe

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
aiyah..you can sell yur rods n reels to me cheap cheap..hehehe

Last time I went fishing was like 30yrs ago. Thought I'd pick up this hobby for destress. Still waiting to do it.