• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Judge disallows questions on Case protest.

Stillwaters

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judge disallows questions on CASE protest
Wednesday, 04 March 2009
Singapore Democrats

District Judge Chia Wee Kiat disllowed the defence to submit video evidence showing a protest and march by the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE).

The Judge also refused to allow the defence to adduce evidence that would show bad faith on the part of the police in rejecting the application made by Dr Chee Soon Juan for the protest on 15 Mar 08.

This took place in court today in the on-going trial of 16 Tak Boleh Tahan (cannot take it) protesters who are charged with taking part in an assembly and a procession without a permit.

Yesterday when Dr Chee Soon Juan cross-examined licensing office Mr Yeo Kok Leong on the stand, the Judge and DPP questioned the relevance of Dr Chee's cross-examination. (See here)

The SDP leader then cited case after case where no less than nine Law Lords in England repeatedly and emphatically ruled that courts hearing criminal cases have a duty to uphold justice by allowing defendants to challenge public bodies such as the police on their decisions in order to show mala fide (bad faith) by the authorities. (See below)

Despite all these case laws presented to him, Judge Chia ruled that the questions were not allowed.

The TBT defendants are trying to show that the policy of the police to ban all outdoor political activities is ultra vires the Constitution.

Dr Chee explained that the evidence needed to be adduced and the Judge can then decide based on the evidence whether the policy is unlawful vis-a-vis the Constitution. He also explained that it was important to show that the police had discriminated against the TBT in favour of CASE and therefore had acted in bad faith.

But the Judge adamantly refused to allow the questions.

"Your Honour, I cling to those words by Lord Irvine that if a law or policy is ultra vires of the Constitution then no citizen should be convicted and punished on the basis of it," Dr Chee pleaded.

"You will agree with me that in the Boddington case, the House of Lords did not just mention in passing but indeed placed great emphasis on the fact that justice must be done in any court and that under the common law, of which Singapore is part, convicting citizens by not allowing them to challenge the validity of executive policy is clearly unacceptable.

"My fellow co-defendants and I, are not criminals. Just like anyone else in this court room, we are law-abiding citizens. But being a law-abiding citizen does not mean we follow the law blindly.

"Being law abiding also means respecting the rule of law and abiding by our Constitution. I urge you to reconsider your decision."

"Mr ruling stands," Judge Chia replied

Stillwaters

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lord Irvine: "... it is well recognised to be important for the maintenance of the rule of law and the preservation of liberty that individuals affected by legal measures promulgated by executive public bodies should have a fair opportunity to challenge these measures and to vindicate their rights in court proceedings."

Lord Nicholls: “the proper starting point” must be a presumption that “an accused should be able to challenge, on any ground, the lawfulness of an order the breach of which constitutes his alleged criminal offence:”

Lord Irvine: "In my judgment only the clear language of a statute could take away the right of a defendant in criminal proceedings to challenge the lawfulness of a byelaw or administrative decision where his prosecution is premised on its validity."

Lord Browne-Wilkinson: "It is sufficient for the decision of the present case to agree with both my Lords in holding that a man commits no crime if he infringes an invalid byelaw and has the right to challenge the validity of the byelaw before any court in which he is being tried." (All emphases added)

Lord Slynn: "I hold that it is open to a defendant to raise in a criminal prosecution the contention of a byelaw or an administrative act undertaken pursuant to it is ultra vires and unlawful and that if he establishes that he has committed no crime."

Lord Steyn: "There is no good reason why a defendant in a criminal case should be precluded from arguing that a byelaw is invalid where that could afford him with a defence."

Lords Brooke and Kay: "It is now well established that the courts have power to examine the way in which public servants like the police use discretionary powers given to them under a statutory regime. The wider the power, and the more it impinges on persinal liberty, the more anxious the court will be to ensure that it is used to achieve the purpose for which it was granted and not for any ulterior or extraneous purpose."

Lord Reid: "f the Minister (or police), by reason of having misconstrued the Act or for any other reason, so uses his discretion as to thwart or run counter to the policy of the objects of the Act, then our law would be very defective if persons aggrieved were not entitled to the protection of the court."

Stillwaters

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comments Search RSS

ahsayman - Thu, 05 Mar 2009 1:09 am

Return to the jury system!

The public demands it!

Faith in the present system has evaporated!

The judiciary must answer to the public with transparency of the grounds of it's decisions!

This is our right!

Without the citizens, there can be no existence of a court of justice!

When the public loses faith in the judiciary, who do they have to turn to?

If they have to turn to the lawmakers of Parliament, then the question becomes a political one.

So, is the judiciary intertwined with the political apparatus of the country in this way?

Robox - Thu, 05 Mar 2009 1:43 am

If it stinks like a kangaroo, it IS a kangaroo.

Where is Captain Kangaroo Shanmugam's 'constitutional system' now?

Dick - Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:10 am

Shanmugam's Rule of Law is 睁大眼晴说瞎话

leesjuanpat - Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:59 am

It clearly shows the disparity and double standard of the law and the
judicial compliance to the PAP govt.
Is there a true independent judge in Singapore who can really preside over a
case involving opposition parties, without been seen as 'yesman' judge to the PAP government?

The question begs a strong moral answer: If CASE was issued a permit
to demonstrate on price increase why
was SDP's permit not approved ?

No point questioning the issuing officer, he is just a puppet on a string in court. I personally witnessed in yesterday's court proceedings.

We can only change the prevailing unfair system of the PAP thru our VOTES. CITIZENS OF SINGAPORE, PLEASE DO IT RIGHT FOR A BETTER FUTURE. VOTE
FOR THE OPPOSITION PARTY.

tan - judge is not gay but works in the gayest court eve Thu, 05 Mar 2009 1:01 pm

kangaroos abound. the judge is a total idiot, and he is saying " if i allow the defence to produce evidence, that old man will srew my arse and i don't like that, i'm not gay you know. And besides, it's against the law."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The SDP leader then cited case after case where no less than nine Law Lords in England repeatedly and emphatically ruled that courts hearing criminal cases have a duty to uphold justice by allowing defendants to challenge public bodies such as the police on their decisions in order to show mala fide (bad faith) by the authorities. (See below)

Despite all these case laws presented to him, Judge Chia ruled that the questions were not allowed.

This is why its important for a well qualified and respected legal eagle to present such arguments. I am sure the people of Singapore will donate if a true legal eagle is engaged and the donations all go to that person.

Judges will think twice before rejecting such arguments. I recall JBJ received such donations.

As the old adage goes a person who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me you, Dr Chee is no fool.

He is out to make a fool of this gahmen. And he is succeeding without a lawyer!

It would be wise for seek good representation when it comes to this. There are no restrictions to seek donations for such matters.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why its important for a well qualified and respected legal eagle to present such arguments. I am sure the people of Singapore will donate if a true legal eagle is engaged and the donations all go to that person.

Judges will think twice before rejecting such arguments. I recall JBJ received such donations.

As the old adage goes a person who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer.

er...chiatilik not counted is it?:confused:

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judge indulged the License Office to Obstruct Justice

I registered an objection in that trial yesterday around 6PM, in the face of court directly against the trial judge DJ Chia Wee Kiat, and had him recorded by objection.

PW2 (Prosecution's Witness #2) Yeo Kok Leong had been since the morning of the trial from Miss CSC's cross examination, through council Francis Aw's cross examination until Mr. Chia Ti Lik's cross examination posted rediculous answers to dodge cross examination.

He had in fact done the same in Dr CSJ's cross examination earlier this week, and he had gotten more audacious and more rediculous as the trial went on.

I stood up during CSJ's cross to make objection against the witness, he then stay on the boundary of obstructing justice.

His standard answer is to comment that the question asked is a matter of police operation secret or mata procedure secret and can not be told.

I stood up during CSC's cross to fire him, and then the judge still indulged him to go on in the same way.

During Mr. Chia Ti Lik's cross exam, bloody Yeo Kok Leong went to the rediculos extend of saying that question asked will take a very complicated answer to explain the details and thus he think it is not necessary for him to answer.

Similarly he gave a series of mata secracy excues to both CSC & Ti Lik's questions.

I interrrupted Ti Lik and made a very loud and clear objection against District Judge Chia Wee Kiat, that he had allowed this witness on the stand in this trial to obstruct justice by refusing to give testimony on the stand and citing rediculous secracy excuses. And as the presiding trial judge he just sit in the bench and watch this goes on and on, and continued to do NOTHING about it. That's why such obstruction of justice could go on for so long on and on.

I told District Judge Chia Wee Kiat that then-president Bill Clinton was indicted to testify before the US Grand Jury and he had to tell on the witness stand how he had the Oral Sex (w Monica), and he can not hide behind any WhiteHouse secracy.

I told District Judge Chia Wee Kiat that similarly, ex-President ChenShuiBian and his Presidential Office Staffs are now on trial for corruption and money laundering the Discrationary State Affair Fund 国务机要费 which is one of the highest state secret. But there is no secracy before a court of justice, everything have to come to the light!

I had previously during CSJ's cross exam applied for hearing in camera when this punk Yeo Kok Leong cited his big Gastapo ISD secracy. Judge had NO RESPOND ABOUT THIS THEN, more than once!

What I didn't mentioned, is that when Old Dog Thief LKy was on the witness stand cross examed by CSJ & CSC, they also rocked him up and similarly old dog could not dodge answering about National Reserve etc. WAF can this big fuck mata Station Inspector cite secracy and dodge questions? He could only do so because the judge did nothing about it!

I urged District Judge Chia Wee Kiat to exercise his power to stop this obstruction of justice as the trial judge. To order the witness to produce the answers or to throw the law at him and cite him contempt.

After this, judge said "this court will proceed with control of this trial" with a very unhappy tone of voice, and you should look at the faces of 2 DPPs + APP & the bloody witness. :rolleyes::p

When WongKanSeng was querry by Parliament on JI Fled, he had to reveal all the blood LEEgime's ISD secrets. Dummy Ass Loong also made a screw up to reveal the name of ISD director. This mata kept telling the court that he knows lots of secret but can not tell!???:confused:

I made a mata report against Ass Loong for his blunder revealing ISD Director's name last year: :cool:
http://uncleyap-news.blogspot.com/2008/04/online-mata-report-official-secret-on.html

http://uncleyap-news.blogspot.com/2009/03/judge-indulged-license-office-to.html

Last edited:

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
we believe u that chee is no fool. he's a clown!

is that all a PAP doggie can rebut?

without any doubt you're an unemployed parasite old fart faggot fake monk PAP dog Bob Sim Kheng Hwee,

temple thief, swindler, fraudster, cheat, con-artist, liar, hypocrite, deceiver, all rolled into one!