• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman Pays $2,600 For 'Upgraded' PSP

conjurer

Alfrescian
Loyal
From The Electric New Paper

HER 12-year-old daughter wanted to buy a Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) to share with her friends.
Click to see larger image
Nicole said that she was overcharged for a Sony PSP that she had bought at a Lucky Plaza shop. -- Picture: ADELINE ONG

On 12 July, a 41-year-old sales assistant, who wanted to be known only as Nicole, went with her daughter to shop for one at Lucky Plaza.

After checking with several shops, she found out that the price ranged between $300 and $600.

She told The New Paper that she went to a shop owned by Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises. She said that the sales assistant there was polite and helpful, and helped her daughter to choose a black-tinted PSP.

He advised Nicole to upgrade the software on the PSP, explaining that this would allow her daughter to play more games as well as surf the Internet, among other things.

When Nicole asked him how much the games cost, he told her that they were free of charge.

He added that she only needed to pay for the PSP and licence for software upgrading.

He then took the PSP away to download the games and upgrade the software, she said.

He returned 15 minutes later with the PSP and the bill - a whopping $3,550.

Said Nicole: 'I was shocked. I thought he had written an extra zero by mistake.

'I told him that if the upgraded PSP was going to cost as much as a laptop, I might as well get my daughter a laptop.'

Nicole said that her daughter agreed that the PSP was too expensive, and said she didn't want it anymore.

But the sales assistant told her that it was too late as he had already downloaded original software onto the PSP and the licences were costly.

AGREED TO REDUCE PRICE

He agreed to reduce the price to $3,100, but Nicole said it was still too expensive.

He then offered reduce it further to $2,610, saying that he wouldn't include anti-virus software.

When Nicole insisted that she didn't want it, he said she still had to pay for the licences of the downloaded games, which would cost $2,000.

Said Nicole: 'Although it was crazy that I had to pay $2,000 for nothing, I thought that I could not expect the shop to pay for the licences.

'I couldn't walk away as it would be irresponsible of me.'

She asked him why other shops sold PSPs for between $300 to $600.

'He claimed that the PSPs they were selling were different because the licences for the software were not original.'

Convinced by the shop assistant, she paid $2,600.

But her brother told her that night that she had paid too much.

They went back to the shop the next day and asked to see the licences for the software, but were told it was confidential.

The shop insisted it did not overcharge Nicole, but agreed to waive the service charge.

After lengthy negotiations, the price came down to $1,400. But Nicole insisted the maximum she would pay was $1,000.

She got her way and received a $1,600 refund.

'It was still very expensive but I did not want to waste time,' she said.

She later went to the Consumers' Association of Singapore but was told that because she had agreed to pay $1,000, it could not pursue the matter further.

'All the while, the sales assistant had an innocent face, and was helpful and appeared sincere,' she said.

She added that she was not intimidated into paying.

When contacted, Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises declined to comment.

'My friends all say I'm so stupid,' Nicole said.

Cai Haoxiang, newsroom intern

Did the shopkeeper overcharge ?

Was the woman wrong for not doing her survey ?

Should the shop be blacklisted ?

CASE says the shops has the right set any prices they wanted. Is this a fair statement ?

Feel free to comment please.

Principles

Did case says that the shop has the right to quote any price?

For services maybe you can quote any price but not product.

I have the understanding for any product there is a list price meaning to say the shop cannot quote prices beyond the list price of that product is also known as controlled price, the price difference is the discount you get. Meaning to say that the manufacturer would give certain discount and the shop can pass on the discount. For bulk purchases the discount would be better.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
From The Electric New Paper

Did the shopkeeper overcharge ?

Was the woman wrong for not doing her survey ?

Should the shop be blacklisted ?

CASE says the shops has the right set any prices they wanted. Is this a fair statement ?

Feel free to comment please.

First, Never shop at small shops especially those from Lucky Plaza unless you are prepared to be ketuk.

Second, Why 'modify' an original product in the first place?

Third, the woman should blame herself for willingly shop at Lucky Plaza, agreed to have the product modified and agreed to pay that price.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, Never shop at small shops especially those from Lucky Plaza unless you are prepared to be ketuk.

Second, Why 'modify' an original product in the first place?

Third, the woman should blame herself for willingly shop at Lucky Plaza, agreed to have the product modified and agreed to pay that price.

While it is true that Caveat Emptor, this lady is a Sales Assistant leh. How much does she know?

The law is not here to protect the rich and educated. It is here to protect everyone, especially the poor and disadvantaged. CASE can eat shit with their stupid comment

TaurusGuy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did case says that the shop has the right to quote any price?

Yes they did. Please correct me if i am wrong. CASE says it has received quite a few complaints against Yeow Tat Enterprise and
that the shop didn't overcharge and they could set any price they wanted.

wavier

wow 1k for PSP, the woman should try going to SONY and inform them that some shop in Singapore is offering Software and license in order to play downloaded games on SONY's PSP.

Anti-virus on PSP, what a joke. From what I read, what the shop did is illegal in SONY's context, tempering of official SONY's firmware to 'enable' playing of download games all scream piracy.

A few things can be learned from this incident.
1. There are still very gullible people around spending a few ks on PSP
2. There are very vicious vendors around in Singapore
3. CASE is useless

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PSP - $280 with warranty/charger/batt. $290 w/o warranty. Memcard @$50 4GB. Dun pay anything more then these std market price.

Why w/o warranty? Becoz it's flash with hacked firmware so tat u can play pirated games store in mem card instead of Sony UMD disc. Doing so will void the warranty. Pls note Sony NV sell games in soft form so "installing original SW" is bullshit. :biggrin::biggrin:

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a case of the woman being greedy.

Yes! Greedy!

She thought she could save money on pirated games by buying a "modified" PSP.

She must have thought that by buying a proper original PSP from Sony store, she would have to shell out for the expensive original games.

No sympathy for these people!

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should change the name of the shop to Yeow Kui...

Blatantly took the poor lady for a ride and CASE says it's okay?

What a load of rubbish!

In the first place - there is no such thing as "license" for whatever fark software

So how can one "buy" something that does not exist?

Clear case of fraud...

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agreed, Yeow Tat Enterprise should be charged in court!!!

Should change the name of the shop to Yeow Kui...

Blatantly took the poor lady for a ride and CASE says it's okay?

What a load of rubbish!

In the first place - there is no such thing as "license" for whatever fark software

So how can one "buy" something that does not exist?

Clear case of fraud...

ccl69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Agreed that it is rubbish to pay $2600 for a upgraded PSP...can fly one huh....

If this price was quoted to her before the shop upgrade it, then it is reasonable...but if the shop proceeded to do it before letting her know the price...she has all the right to pursue it to the highest level...i would do the same..unreasonable lah.:eek:

Lian9

Alfrescian
Loyal
this shop deserves to be closed down by the authorities....my god...this is realli daylight robbery...

punter888

Alfrescian
Loyal
With that kind of money I can get HD ready LCD at least 42",the shop is really too much in their sales trick.And I'm very sure sony games comes in UMD not in download into their ms.Last time I ever heard one ang mo buy those game for ps II in dvd but is 40 in 1 they go charged 10 buck per games in the dvd 40x10=$400.

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a "normal" event at Lucky Plaza (not so lucky for unwitting consumers), as this place has a long history of "Super salesman" who can sell $14k camcorders by simply taking the camcorder apart and selling them piece meal to unwitting tourists! I do hope that more people who have been duped at these dishonest merchants make complaints to CASE and that CASE publishes a DO NOT PATRONIZE handbook to the public!
1k for a PSP is way too expensive, not to mention 2k!
If I were the lady, I would've simply walked away and not paid a sigle cent as the PSP hasn't changed hands yet.