• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MRT talk

Any trip improvement at peak hours

• Yes, I can get in to the train every time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, need to wait till next few trains then get in

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Don't know. No change as usual

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • NO, Where got improvement...It is worse now!

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

bluprint

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the increasing price on fuel and more ERP gantry to collect tolls, commuters have to seek for public transport. However, the increase of demands cannot be match with the supply hence at peak hours the trains from East to West is packed.

It is worse when at the exchange at cityhall and raffler place. SMRT has said that they have increased the number of trips at peak hours but personally can't sense any improvement over at the frequency (still around 2 mintues for the next train). Personally I have to wait till the 4th train than managed to slip in the train.:(

Wonder any one has similar experience and would like to share your view. And particularly on whether you feel there is more trips during peak hours or not.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah getting into a train at those 2 interchange station at peak hours can be a real challage. 80% of the time I have to wait for the 2nd train and push my way in. :mad:

Hypnotized

YEa the current MRT network is suffering from serious under-capacity during the peak hours. But it is the case for every major city around the world. The buses and undergrounds are all jammed pack during the morning and evening rush hours only.

There is a limit to the number of trains that SMRT can put out on track during the peak hours. But hopefully with more bus lines plying routes that run parallel to the train lines, it may help give some relief plus the imminent opening of the circle line.

huntersg

It's always like that.

I do not understand why always people like to stand at the door when there are more space in the middle. For this situation, i always need to wait for another train to come, there was once i waited for 3 trains to come, and you know what, it's always the middle is empty.

That's make me more angry!

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
The thing is that people are not used to moving to the centre of the train. many a times I noticed that there's so much space in the middle of the cabin and yet no one is keen to move in. It's the typical "Kiasu" mentality.

The motion of graciousness has never set in at all with all Singaporean. It's always "me, me and me" first. Get used to it. Besides, increased frequency of trains is meant to ease the passenger load in the stations during peak hours. I have noticed that trains come once every 3 minutes during the peak hours. SMRT has done their part. The question begs: will they maintain? :o

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a design flaw. :biggrin: It is high time they realise that people don't like to move to the central because they would have trouble getting out later when the train gets packed!!!!! Best way to solve it is to design trains with doors that open fully from the side. But my best bet would be that people are just too down right selfish.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Change the MRT design to have 5 door/block from current only 4. That will be more efficient but will be less seat.

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
drama on mrt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-uVThKygo

Singapore is getting too cramped. Fighting over seats in MRT, food courts, long queues. Too many people around is plain stressful and gets on one's nerves. /whines..

back to topic, i still prefer bus!! at least i get a seat!! mrt no way!! gotta stand all the way durin peak hour... unless i m in a rush i take mrt...

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt that the frequency has increased. But the demand is still higher than supply :(

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
drama on mrt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-uVThKygo

Singapore is getting too cramped. Fighting over seats in MRT, food courts, long queues. Too many people around is plain stressful and gets on one's nerves. /whines..

back to topic, i still prefer bus!! at least i get a seat!! mrt no way!! gotta stand all the way durin peak hour... unless i m in a rush i take mrt...

Totally agree and they still want to increase the population to 6.5 million! :eek: Bus is good for a nice relaxing trip but MRT still faster (if you can get onto the train :mad: )

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree with you, MRT is quite consistent in travelling time but Bus still highly dependent on road conditions.

Bus these days also not as good as before. I believe my travel time on my usual bus has increased by 10-15 mins compared to before. :mad:

slyer

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't think there's any improvement to mrt trip prob. everytime during peak hr, i had hard time boarding the train esp from outram to bugis stations. the trains are packed like sardines. :(

newcomerjkt

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you tried taking the train from Bugis after 9pm to the east, you probably need to wait 8 minutes or more. Then when the train arrived, chance is that it is FULL. How to take MRT. Wonder is SMRT increasing the no of trains during peak and cut some from offpeak, if not why it seems worse during off peak.:confused:

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think MRT should come out a entrance and exit plan like the buses so as
1. Will force the people to move to the center as the entrance will not be the exit.
2. The people entering the train will not blocked the people exiting the train.
Let me give you guys an example. Each car have 4 doors at both sides right?
Make the 2 doors at the center as entrance doors and the 1st and last door of each car as for exits. Hence people upon entering will move to the exit and therefore leaving the space infront of the entrance for more pax to enter easily and quickly.

evlxi

hmmm sometimes bus is worst.. coz they only have two doors :biggrin: heheh harder to get down if u're way behind.. but i rather take a bus than mrt too

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a design flaw. :biggrin: It is high time they realise that people don't like to move to the central because they would have trouble getting out later when the train gets packed!!!!! Best way to solve it is to design trains with doors that open fully from the side. But my best bet would be that people are just too down right selfish.

if u notice ppl are not willing to move out of the train, especially those at the doors so that those in the middle of the train can alight and u hv those wanting to board the train blocking those wanting to move out.

also the time to allow ppl to move in and out is too short.

Naka_Timo

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is surely an increase of trip, especially during the lunch peak and the evening time, i believe if u catch the rite time, u be able to get a ride with lesser passenger load.

2Cheong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agree and they still want to increase the population to 6.5 million! :eek: Bus is good for a nice relaxing trip but MRT still faster (if you can get onto the train :mad: )

Fully agree, bus is comfortable if you got the time and when you got a seat, somemore got TV to watch, and it is definitely slower then MRT, so no choice if rush of time then take MRT.