• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Give Up Job And Care For Others

birdie8819

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will you give up your job and care for others ?

20080804.115950_aug0408_liowcheehsiang.jpg

HIS boss and colleagues told him he was throwing his career away.

He also faced stiff opposition from his relatives when he left his promising job as a doctor and moved to China with his family to work with HIV patients.

But Dr Liow Chee Hsiang has no regrets - even though his family's monthly household income decreased from a five-figure sum to about $3,000.

'I wanted to make a difference in places where there was a greater need for medical care,' said the 36-year-old.

Before leaving for China in 2002, Dr Liow was a medical officer in various hospitals here for six years.

He and his wife Crystal, 38, are now part of a registered non-government organisation, Bless China International in Yunnan. They partner with the local Health Bureau in working with HIV patients and high-risk groups.

The couple's three sons - Micah, seven, Nahum, four and 10-month-old Ezra - also moved to China with them.

Dr Liow has seen many heartbreaking stories of HIV victims, he told my paper recently.

Many sufferers - some as young as infants - are often ostracised by their families and society, he said.

Dr Liow said: 'Many of them are innocent victims who caught the disease from their spouses or parents. Stigmatised, nobody wants to touch them.'

Leaving the comforts of home did not come easy for Dr Liow.

He said: 'Leaving my job was a big struggle. It was comfortable and there were great opportunities.'

Finances were also another concern. Though now earning a fraction of their previous salaries, the couple still contribute monthly to the Central Provident Fund and save for their children's education.

Dr Liow was also at the scene of the Sichuan earthquake in May - he was part of a team of eight doctors who arrived on the fifth day after the disaster.

He recalled: 'It was a mass of confusion. Thousands of children became orphans overnight.

'I remember a child walking alone in the streets, with the words 'searching for father' and his father's name written on his shirt.'

The couple plan to return home when their sons are enlisted for National Service.

Said Dr Liow: 'Friends tell me I sacrificed a lot to move to China. But I didn't lose anything at all, I gained. My family is closer than ever, and I get satisfaction when I see lives change.'

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
this guy is a good man but he is doing this also because he is a Christian and he is going there to convert these poor pple.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
y got normal ppl can give up job to help poor ppl, y don't have high paying minister give up job for same purpose? christian can sacrifice career to convert poor ppl to believer. garmen ppl can also try same pattern to recruit new generation minister mah.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
this guy is a good man but he is doing this also because he is a Christian and he is going there to convert these poor pple.

Well, that's part of Christianity. Living by example and hopefully others will come to know Christ through your life.

It's not so easy to convert people lah. Look at yourself? So skeptical. Big deal, if you don't wanna be Christian. Who cares??????

It is best you don't condemn other people religion. This type of thing is taboo and if you want to venture there. Hey, do it man, anything goes nowadays.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me ask you people something.

Would you give up your jobs and care for me, or would you continue anyway for the same reason? As in, support.