• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

? Wheelchair friendly, but you can’t board

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wheelchair friendly, but you can’t board
Channel NewsAsia - Thursday, October 2
images
SINGAPORE: The message of the little blue sticker seems obvious: We’re a wheelchair—friendly bus. But, as disabled commuters have found out the hard way, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re welcome aboard.

Mr Lee Jun Hui, flagged down SBS Service No 57 outside One Raffles Quay three weeks ago. Though the decal declaring it a wheelchair accessible bus (WAB) was displayed on the windscreen, the driver refused to let him on.

“He said he was not authorised to do so. I’d understand if the bus was crowded, but it wasn’t,” said the puzzled 27—year—old, who works as an auditor at KPMG.

To ensure this was no fluke, Mr Lee, in the company of this TODAY reporter, recently tried to board services 128 and 130 at Robinson Road after 6.20pm. The drivers of all four buses were apologetic.

Despite displaying the blue decal, they told him they did not have approval from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SBS Transit to ferry wheelchair—users.

Nonetheless, 20 minutes later at Cecil Street, he flagged down service 57. The bus driver got down, laid the ramp on the kerb and wheeled Mr Lee aboard. At Novena, Mr Lee alighted and went the rest of the way home by train — as confused as ever about WAB services.

While there are just 16 official WAB routes, buses on other service routes, such as the three above, do also carry the wheelchair—friendly decal.

“I wished the authorities would be more consistent,” said Mr Lee. “What’s the point of displaying the decal when the bus drivers are not authorised to take users like myself? It gives the wrong impression that there are many more WABs on the roads, when effectively, there aren’t.”

He is not the only one confounded. In June, student Thomas Teo, 19, faced similar rejection by service 14 — in this case, one of the 16 approved WAB routes — at a Lower Delta Road bus stop.

“I was very upset. That experience put me off totally; I prefer to use the MRT,” said Mr Teo.

SBS Transit’s explanation

Their frustrations follow expectations that were heightened when it was announced, earlier this year, that 40 per cent of public buses here would be wheelchair—accessible by 2010, and all of them by 2020.

Recently, SBS Transit revealed it is spending S$147 million on 400 new WABs next year, which would come with low floors, wheelchair lots and retractable ramps at the doors. A quarter of SBS’ 2,800—strong fleet now has such features.

Said Ms Tammy Tan, SBS Transit’s vice president of corporate communications: “Although we only have 16 WAB services, we have many more wheelchair—accessible buses that ply the roads on other routes.”

She added: “Not all routes can be designated WAB routes because of the infrastructure along the way.”

For one to be so designated, 80 per cent of the bus stops along the route must be wheelchair—friendly, or such passengers would have difficulties getting on, off or around the bus—stop.

For these passengers’ safety, said Ms Tan, “bus captains will not allow them to board if they are not plying wheelchair—accessible routes. This was what happened in the incidents cited by Mr Lee.”

As for the bus captain of Service 57 who allowed him on board, SBS Transit said this was “actually not allowed due to safety reasons and will remind all Bus Captains to comply with guidelines”.

Still, Mr Lee’s point is: If the buses are not on designated WAB routes, why display the wheelchair—friendly sticker in the first place?

SBS Transit said this was “for deployment issues”. It is “reviewing what can be done to distinguish” WABs on designated routes from those that are not.

Introduced in 2006, WAB services are gradually: replacing existing fleets. The LTA said: “These services are rolled out by bus operators based on the available pool of WABs and are subject to scheduling and operational considerations.” — TODAY/ra

What an irony? They introduced the fleet of buses that come with virtually no seats in the mid section, so to accomodate wheelchair bound commuters, but now, claim that due to safety reasons, wheelchair bound commuters aren't permitted on board.

In other words, all other non-wheelchair bound commuters are expected to pay more but stand thru-out their journey? Minimal seats to accomodate higher standing capacity?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What do you expect from a system that have no contempt for a living person?What more a leader showing no common courtesy towards a dead one!.

What is new?. They are only thinking of profitablity, not safety, don;t get fooled. To spend time, helping the disable up & down the bus, it hampers the bus route timings & the 'bottom line' in revenue.

Since the MRT is so user friendly..use the MRT!:rolleyes:

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
"they" just wan more standing commuters to increase profit. end of the day, this "public transport" is just another company run by our great famiLEE:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what a joke...seriously

It is not a joke!, they are just paying 'lip service' to the disabled. Don't believe me, try pushing a child's trolley going through the public transport system, you will know what I mean.

The joke my friend, is on the disabled!..it's money! They will soon tell you, pay more, pay more...to get up the bus on a wheelchair, another 50c to a $1 more, of course, they will be a 25%rebates in their EZ link, if they transfer from bus/train/bus....

Money...no joke!:p

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
but you gotta admit these new scania eurobuses are much better than the older mercedes benz ones....but yeah i hate the fact that theres so much standing space and you get all these people who havent taken a shower in ages standing all around you.

and yeah at the end of the day, if ur not able bodied, ur a nobody. As much as i hate to say it, that the way of life in Singapore. Seems like the only organisation so far that looks like it truly gives a shit about disabled people is the SMRT (trains, not buses). But i may stand corrected.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
instead of wasting the entire bus passengers time , how come the bloody wheelchair people cannot just attached motor to their wheelchair and take the highway ?

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
instead of wasting the entire bus passengers time , how come the bloody wheelchair people cannot just attached motor to their wheelchair and take the highway ?

lolx, is great for some jokes time n times again. good joke mate:biggrin: i really laugh :biggrin:

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
then they will have to wait 8 months to complete their basic and final theory tests and then go for their TP practical. Go around the circuit in their wheelchair and down the test route with the tester cycling beside.

after all that waiting time, they are still better off just waiting for the bus.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
but you gotta admit these new scania eurobuses are much better than the older mercedes benz ones....but yeah i hate the fact that theres so much standing space and you get all these people who havent taken a shower in ages standing all around you.

and yeah at the end of the day, if ur not able bodied, ur a nobody. As much as i hate to say it, that the way of life in Singapore. Seems like the only organisation so far that looks like it truly gives a shit about disabled people is the SMRT (trains, not buses). But i may stand corrected.
Public transportation means its for the general public, which means handicapped people are also entitled to commute. The recent increas of ERP gantries have indirectly forced many motorists to give up their cars, and adopt public transportation.

As a resulte, the buses and trains these days are jammed packed to the doors, and passenger safety already has been compromised (for the longest time ever). By playing the game of tai-chi, telling wheelchair bound people to take the trains is not solving the problem. Who are they to tell the people what mode of transport to take, when the fleet of buses were procured for the purpose of accomodating handicapped passengers too?

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
They can't do it yet, because LTA hasn't quite figured out which license category wheelchairs belong to. If they allowed wheelchairs on the roads, they'd be booked all the time for road hogging. LTA also hasn't found a good spot to mount the cashcard unit on the wheelchairs.

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
to me, all these disabled buses is just a large scale wayang.

all along i had this impression that the WAB buses are for the disabled regardless of which bus stop they board from and now we have tammy darling who, suddenly out of the blue tells us that oh only certain bus stops have this feature.

Dont forget that WAB services dont mean every bus is WAB enabled. Able bodied people like us can take one bus if we miss another, disabled people have to wait until the next WAB enabled one comes which can take up to 45 minutes of waiting, and then imagine if the bus arrives and then they are told they cant board because of safety issues and that the infrastructure is not compatible? So u expect the poor guy to wheel all the way to the next compatible bus stop?

i thought these bus stops were all supposed to be compatible before they actually procure the buses? I guess tammy may have just accidentally exposed a loophole of their dirty secrets. Well done.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
to me, all these disabled buses is just a large scale wayang................. i thought these bus stops were all supposed to be compatible before they actually procure the buses? I guess tammy may have just accidentally exposed a loophole of their dirty secrets. Well done.
Its a confession to say that they bought the fleet in name-sake, but doesn't really have a system to materialise the things they say. And since the WAB buses cost more, passengers are paying more.

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
PRECISELY!

they needed an excuse to raise fares because the previous excuse of rising oil prices and operation costs was getting a bit too old.

its a classic case of buy the ice cream now but only give it to the child after it melts

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
the new scania eurobuses sucks big time!!! so little seats!! esp for long distances, i gotta stand from one end till the other... while i understand the need to cater for disabled person, i dun tink u need the whole front half section!!
:mad::mad::mad: