• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chua L H spreads PAP propaganda even when writing about JBJ !!!

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, I simply skipped any articles written by Chua Lee Hong. The typical hogwash spewing forth from her mouth are usually too much for my sensitive stomach to bear and I will not want to risk vomiting out my breakfast on the way to work.

I would have missed her article published in the Straits Times yesterday completely had not my father told me that he was rather surprised by the positive protrayal of JBJ by the Straits Times. Wait, wait….did I hear anything wrong ? Oh dad, how can you trust the Singapore’s Straits Times which is ranked 147th in the world in terms of press freedom ?

Scrambling to get a copy of yesterday’s papers before it was thrown down the rubbish chute, I flipped to page 2 and sure enough is a one-page article by Chua Lee bearing the big words in bold - “A stayer to the end“. Huh ? what has that got to do with the passing of JBJ ?

After reading through her entire article not once or twice, but thrice, I finally manage to decipher the hidden meaning behind those prophetic words.

These SPH journalists are getting smarter. Knowing that Singaporeans are generally sympathatic towards JBJ, they will not want to offend us by a launching a smear campaign against him lest they create an unwanted backlash from the public.

Instead, they try to interperse their propaganda between lines of hypocrisy behind a veneer of respectability to hoodwink unsuspecting readers while getting their message across at the same time. Miss Chua will surely qualify to be the Chief Editor of Pravda if the Soviet Union still exists.

Now, let me dissect her article paragraph by paragraph, word for word (in bold):

Read rest of article here:

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/20...r-piece-of-pap-propaganda-from-chua-lee-hong/

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the straits times article:

(1) “With the benefit of hindsight, it could even said that it was Mr Jeyaretnam’s highly combative style that led the PAP government to develop an aversion to confrontational politics, Westminister-style”

Comments:
(a) 'Government' is neutral. So it should be 'PAP ruling party'

(b) It is more likely that the PAP is not used to people questioning their politics

(2) “Had Singapore’s first opposition MP been of a more peaceable temperament - like Mr Chiam See Tong or Mr Low Thia Kiang - it is possible that Singapore’s political landscape might be very different today.”

Comments:
(a) The truth is that if JBJ was not bankrupted by the PAP leaders in 2001 just prior to the GE, then singapore's political landscape will definitely be very different

In 2001, JB Jeyaretnam himself said in an appeal against the bankruptcy order: “In the meantime, elections may be held and I shall be barred from taking part in the elections.” http://www.thinkcentre.org/article.cfm?ArticleID=437
(3) “Indeed, differences over leadership styles proved one of the factors behind the falling-out between Mr Jeyaretnam and his deputy, Mr Low Thia Kiang, in 2001, with the former deciding to quit the party he had led for 30 years and leaving Mr Low to carry on.”
(a) Mr Low is managerial. Mr JBJ is visionary. Naturally the two will clash.

Such clashes are actually good for the party if Mr JBJ has the leadership role. Because then Mr Low will be the anchor to prevent Mr JBJ from running off tangent or to excesses.

But if Mr Low is at the leadership role, then the visionary spark will be stifled. Visionaries are independent and they will go off on their own. And once the party lose their visionaries, they become dull. Their effectiveness then is dependent on dissatisfaction by voters rather than a creative courting of voters.

That is why such temperaments are so loved by ruling parties everywhere. Because so long as they can prevent the dissatisfaction from getting out of hand, they will always be in power. If the PAP of early days did not have a visionary LKY but have a Mr Low-equivalent-in-charge, Singapore today will be very different.

Every temperaments have their roles in a political party. Mr Chee will benefit very much from a Mr Low-equivalent within his own party.

(4) “Speaking in Parliament during a debate on stayers versus quitters, Mr Lee urged others to emulate Mr Jeyaretnam, saying: ‘If you are Singaporean, you should stay on and fight and argue your case and persuade more people to believe you and one day change the policy, not opt out and leave, because no policy is set in stone forever.’”
(a) 'Forever' is tomorrow and a day

Last edited:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the straits times article:

(3) “Indeed, differences over leadership styles proved one of the factors behind the falling-out between Mr Jeyaretnam and his deputy, Mr Low Thia Kiang, in 2001, with the former deciding to quit the party he had led for 30 years and leaving Mr Low to carry on.”

(a) Mr Low is managerial. Mr JBJ is visionary. Naturally the two will clash.

Such clashes are actually good for the party if Mr JBJ has the leadership role. Because then Mr Low will be the anchor to prevent Mr JBJ from running off tangent or to excesses.

But if Mr Low is at the leadership role, then the visionary spark will be stifled. Visionaries are independent and they will go off on their own. And once the party lose their visionaries, they become dull. Their effectiveness then is dependent on dissatisfaction by voters rather than a creative courting of voters.

I definitely agree with this statement.​

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Shitty Times have overplayed the "conflict" between JBJ and LTK.

I think they are back on good terms now.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Kawoki

The modern political machinery needs both visionaries and party managers. The day's of the lone maverick on a pick up truck and or beetle are long gone for Singapore. The PAP has been a master of that machinery. The party visionary has to understand that he does not function in a vaccum and that managers who will impeded and constrict his vision is a must. The visionary must understand that his managers are now managers but are as equally intelligent and skilled as him but in differing dark arts.

Locke

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't bother to read political editor's articles. They are never objective and would have failed GP exam if written in such format.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Locke,

I think that was also my point: that visionary and manager needs each other.

Perhaps the difference, if i read you correctly, is that you feel that the two: visionary and manager stands as co-equals in the party.

Whereas I feel the hierarchy should be visionary supported by manager.

If I had read you incorrectly, then I would say that our viewpoints are the same.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
But what if a situation arise such that the visionary is so intent on his vision that he practically ignores all sound advice by the manager?

Then the question becomes: does that give the right for the manager to supplant the visionary, because if he does not do so, then it will mean the end of everyone's dreams.

I cannot adequately answer that.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Kawoki

Actually :_)) The visionary has to have the final say. However he must be willing to listen to and seek contradictory advice and that often is the hardest part. Because by definition a visionary believes that he is always right and by definition dissenters will always tell him otherwise

I have had enough of "visionaries" who do not listen and who do not seek dissenting opinion. G Bush stands as a clear example, and Bob Woodward has described it all in his books

Locke

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Kawoki

Actually :_)) The visionary has to have the final say. However he must be willing to listen to and seek contradictory advice and that often is the hardest part. Because by definition a visionary believes that he is always right and by definition dissenters will always tell him otherwise

I have had enough of "visionaries" who do not listen and who do not seek dissenting opinion. G Bush stands as a clear example, and Bob Woodward has described it all in his books

Locke

You will have bad visionaries, and bad managers working together. So Bush Jr and Cheney are both bad.

But we also have like Clinton and Al Gore, whom one was the visionary, and the other the capable manager. Now we also have Sen. Obama, the good visionary and Biden, the capable manager.

In the UK, they had Blair and Brown, although in latter years, Brown was overwhelmed by Blair's charisma, and now struggles to fill that charisma gap that Blair had.

So I think the visionary should be the leader, but his shadow cabinet must also be capable themselves and be able to dissent whenever they can. They must ensure that the visionary must be able to take dissent and not be tempted to just listen to yes-men and blind loyalists when making a decision.

twochan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought there was one time Chua Lee Hong came up to the sammyboy forums and started arguing with us? Does anybody remember that?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought there was one time Chua Lee Hong came up to the sammyboy forums and started arguing with us? Does anybody remember that?

Yea. It turned out to be great entertainment for all of us. We were bickering with 'her', playing with 'her' and laughing at 'her'. Great fun.

:biggrin:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, I simply skipped any articles written by Chua Lee Hong. The typical hogwash spewing forth from her mouth are usually too much for my sensitive stomach to bear and I will not want to risk vomiting out my breakfast on the way to work.

At least your family bother to get the Shitty time.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
"(1) “With the benefit of hindsight, it could even said that it was Mr Jeyaretnam’s highly combative style that led the PAP government to develop an aversion to confrontational politics, Westminister-style”"

LKY is LKY,no otherv way about it.

JBJ or JBJ,LKY would be LKY,wat is this brillaint 154th Ah Chua trying to spin,she really wants us to believe that stuburn JBJ did manage to change LKY,what a joke!

But on this day when the dead cold body of JBJ is being lowered and covered,I can only wish that she -------

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
"(1) “With the benefit of hindsight, it could even said that it was Mr Jeyaretnam’s highly combative style that led the PAP government to develop an aversion to confrontational politics, Westminister-style”"

LKY is LKY,no otherv way about it.

JBJ or JBJ,LKY would be LKY,wat is this brillaint 154th Ah Chua trying to spin,she really wants us to believe that stuburn JBJ did manage to change LKY,what a joke!

But on this day when the dead cold body of JBJ is being lowered and covered,I can only wish that she -------

LKY didn't need JBJ. With or without JBJ, we all knew that LKY was being corrupted by years of being too long in the same position, and accumulating too much executive power because of that.

We also knew LKY had a very bad temper and was very mercurial. JBJ merely made it public by being elected as Anson's MP nearly 30 years ago.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fogot to add that Ms Chua was A cancer patient,on this day when JBJ had his full body covered with soil,I pray that he does remember about her.

Last edited: