• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Happy hubbies' village

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
HAPPY HUBBIES' VILLAGE
By Maureen Koh

July 28, 2008

THIS quiet village is tucked away in the outskirts of Johor.

It used to be known as Malaysia's 'old man's village', for the young had left in search of a better life.

But over the past two years, young Vietnamese women have married men from this village, a two-hour's drive from Muar, and made it their home. Despite the language barrier and age gap, there are now about 20 such mail-order brides in Kampung Teratai - or Lotus Village.

'The age gap is not a problem... what matters is that we can get along well,' said Ah Jiao, 29, one of the youngest brides.

Her husband, who is 20 years older, declined to be interviewed. They have a six-month old baby girl.

In halting Mandarin, Ah Jiao told The New Paper on Sunday: 'A marriage can still break down even if the difference is just a couple of years.'

She said: 'What's the use of romance if, in the end, there is no sense of security and the marriage does not last?'

She admitted that she was initially apprehensive about leaving her aged parents behind, two years ago.

She added: 'I was also worried that there'd be no one to turn to if I was bullied. It did not help that I could not even speak a word of Mandarin.'

At first, she relied on hand gestures and common words to communicate with her husband.

She said: 'The agent had also given me a translation book, which was a useful tool.'

Like Ah Jiao, two other Viet brides interviewed declined to reveal how much their husbands had paid for the marriage.

But two match-making agencies based in Kuala Lumpur told The New Paper on Sunday that the fees could go as high as RM30,000 ($12,500).

Mr Henry Phoon, owner of True-Truc Love, said: 'Normally, to marry a Vietnamese girl, Malaysian men pay an average of about RM20,000.'

The unofficial village head of Kampung Teratai, who asked not to be named, said: 'For the men, the money does not matter.

'They're more concerned about procreating and carrying on the family lineage. Such traditional values just cannot be ignored.'

He added: ' Most of the bachelors are past their 40s and they find it harder and harder to get a wife.'

Plantation worker Zhou Yade, in his late 40s, was one of them. But he married a Vietnamese woman about three years ago.

He had attempted a few match-making sessions with local girls but they didn't workout.

He said: 'The first thing they ask is what assets do I have... how much money have I saved. And when they hear that I tap rubber trees for a living, they disappear in a second.'

Mr Zhou and wife Ah Shui, 34, have a daughter, 2. The eldest of six daughters, Ah Shui admitted she made the decision to marry overseas on her own.

She told The New Paper on Sunday: 'I consider it my luck to be able to marry and settle down here (in Malaysia). As I come from a poor family, I dreaded marrying a fellow villager and then continuing to live in poverty for the rest of my life.'

Asked what she saw in Mr Zhou, she said: 'He's honest and hardworking. Most importantly, he's fit and healthy.'

Mr Zhou finds life has become better since marriage.

He said: 'Before that, I've heard how marrying a Viet bride can bring you much trouble like how you'd be pestered for money now and then.'

But he said it has not happened with Ah Shui.

Mr Zhou added: 'If anything, she has been helping me. She is up before dawn to help me tap the rubber trees.'

By noon, she is back home to take care of their daughter and do household chores.

Mr Zhou said: 'We live with my parents and she also takes care of their needs. Where can you find such a hardworking wife who does everything without any complaints?':rolleyes: