• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Making The Individual Accountable

jw5

Loyal
Is it about time that we started making individuals accountable for their individual actions or inactions?
Rather than allowing individual politicians, businessmen, bankers or bank employees, retailers or their retail employees, regulators, civil servants, etc to hide behind their corporation, organization, team or simply behind a wall which we cannot see beyond, is it about time that our society pinpointed individuals who have failed in their duties and demanded that these individuals be taken to task for their actions or inactions?
Instead of just accepting the organization explanation or even apology and letting the individual hide behind the corporate wall?

vbchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
who is responsible for killing Sg with NS ?

Eh brudder, don't say that mah. Ex-instructors like me are ordinary singaporeans. Many regulars also have a lot of unhappiness but have to earn a living. It's not that they are purposely out to get anyone killed. But sometimes all it takes is a sadistic commander to make that happen. I am only too happy to see them burn but other than that, everything is controlled by the people doing the training. I have never received any instructions to tekan trainees until they die in fact we were threatened with all sorts of unthinkable consequence if we let anything happen to our trainees.

NS when done properly makes a man out of a boy. Many times I am thankful that I have army training to deal with many situations. Also Singaporean males having gone through NS are more steady than some sissy foreign men I know of.

I also have lost a cousin to a training accident and the body was found only a week later (skyhawk pilot). I have also seen my fair share of accidents in ROC in 1993/1994.

What to do? I definitely do not want another agressor to walk into Singapore like what happened in 1942. We had a rabbit toothed half brained Brit who couldn't control his generals surrender to an enemy having half his manpower. My grandfather was killed by the Japs because he was a businessman sending money back to China.:mad:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it about time that we started making individuals accountable for their individual actions or inactions?

how could we make that happen if we have to deal with committee for this and that all the time?

and how could we make them accountable if there is no transparency most of the time?

furthermore, the media is tightly controlled, how do we know even if there is going to be a problem?

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Eh brudder, don't say that mah. Ex-instructors like me are ordinary singaporeans. Many regulars also have a lot of unhappiness but have to earn a living. It's not that they are purposely out to get anyone killed. But sometimes all it takes is a sadistic commander to make that happen. I am only too happy to see them burn but other than that, everything is controlled by the people doing the training. I have never received any instructions to tekan trainees until they die in fact we were threatened with all sorts of unthinkable consequence if we let anything happen to our trainees.

NS when done properly makes a man out of a boy. Many times I am thankful that I have army training to deal with many situations. Also Singaporean males having gone through NS are more steady than some sissy foreign men I know of.

I also have lost a cousin to a training accident and the body was found only a week later (skyhawk pilot). I have also seen my fair share of accidents in ROC in 1993/1994.

What to do? I definitely do not want another agressor to walk into Singapore like what happened in 1942. We had a rabbit toothed half brained Brit who couldn't control his generals surrender to an enemy having half his manpower. My grandfather was killed by the Japs because he was a businessman sending money back to China.:mad:
Hahaha, vachia, you are obviously new to this forum and don't know madmansg well.
He has been saying "NS is killing SG" since I don't know when. It seems like since Adam was seduced by Eve. :smile:

jw5

Loyal
how could we make that happen if we have to deal with committee for this and that all the time?
That's exactly the point.
Refuse to accept the concept of a "committee investigation".
Demand that the individual is made responsible and not able to hide behind a "committee".
Of course, many people have to come together and rationally agree on who the responsible individual should be. Put pressure on the organization/corporation/committee such that they will have no choice but to make the individual accountable, otherwise they will all suffer consequences as a group.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's exactly the point.
Refuse to accept the concept of a "committee investigation".
Demand that the individual is made responsible and not able to hide behind a "committee".
Of course, many people have to come together and rationally agree on who the responsible individual should be. Put pressure on the organization/corporation/committee such that they will have no choice but to make the individual accountable, otherwise they will all suffer consequences as a group.

jw5 old friend,

I see our ability as individual Singaporeans to come together as mostly limited to the cyberworld. This form of pressure has yet to prove its effectiveness especially in the political scene, unlike Malaysia.

Remember, how much pressure was exerted by citizens to call for WKS to take responsibility and resign over the MS escape episode? He hid behind a commitee he formed himself to find sacrificial lambs for the slaughter, got himself a "get out of jail card" and showed us his middle finger.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember, how much pressure was exerted by citizens to call for WKS to take responsibility and resign over the MS escape episode? He hid behind a commitee he formed himself to find sacrificial lambs for the slaughter, got himself a "get out of jail card" and showed us his middle finger.

believe me, we all tried very hard...petitions or emails, but his face is much thicker than a dragon skin so he chose to remain...no thanks to baby lee who asked him to remain....

what's a dragon skin? see the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0pSwdQfbY

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
believe me, we all tried very hard...petitions or emails, but his face is much thicker than a dragon skin so he chose to remain...no thanks to baby lee who asked him to remain....

Baby lee has insecurities. Despite being the prime minister he is surrounding himself with a SM, MM and a relative. He will feel lost without anyone of them.

Just like pulling a pacifier away from a baby he will cling on for dear life which is why he gave WKS the "get out of jail card".

jw5

Loyal
jw5 old friend,

I see our ability as individual Singaporeans to come together as mostly limited to the cyberworld. This form of pressure has yet to prove its effectiveness especially in the political scene, unlike Malaysia.

Yes, agree that our society is not "mature" enough. Perhaps more simply not intelligent and discerning enough.
If only we were.
We could vote out a politician or minister who has failed the nation or the citizens and when he asks the reason, explain that he was not made accountable. This will be a real shock to the others and make them realize that each of them has to be individually accountable.
Also applies to corporate officers, civil servants, retail shop owners, etc. Bad publicity, boycott of the goods and services provided by their organizations, etc are tools we can use to ensure accountability.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, agree that our society is not "mature" enough. Perhaps more simply not intelligent and discerning enough.
If only we were.
We could vote out a politician or minister who has failed the nation or the citizens and when he asks the reason, explain that he was not made accountable. This will be a real shock to the others and make them realize that each of them has to be individually accountable.
Also applies to corporate officers, civil servants, retail shop owners, etc. Bad publicity, boycott of the goods and services provided by their organizations, etc are tools we can use to ensure accountability.

You hit the nail on its head. We are certainly not intelligent enough. So many years of propaganda. The devil is in the repression of thinking logically. Starting from our education system, every one is programmed not to speak out and take action to right a wrong.

It is the same scenario whether in political terms or in commercial transactions we do not have the culture of questioning and standing up for our rights as citizens or as a consumer.

How do we change this mindset? Easy to say but extremely difficult to effect a change.

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
In SG, it all goes down to, r u a horse of not.
If u r a horse, chances are you can get away with from many shitty issue.

SO ya...... is gd 2 be in a horse family for once

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
In SG, it all goes down to, r u a horse of not.
If u r a horse, chances are you can get away with from many shitty issue.

SO ya...... is gd 2 be in a horse family for once

I think it is more towards one particular colored horse before you can get away with anything.

jw5

Loyal
You hit the nail on its head. We are certainly not intelligent enough. So many years of propaganda. The devil is in the repression of thinking logically. Starting from our education system, every one is programmed not to speak out and take action to right a wrong.

It is the same scenario whether in political terms or in commercial transactions we do not have the culture of questioning and standing up for our rights as citizens or as a consumer.

How do we change this mindset? Easy to say but extremely difficult to effect a change.
Perhaps the change will come about someday when enough people realize that we have been brainwashed.
I'm waiting to see if it will happen.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps the change will come about someday when enough people realize that we have been brainwashed.

it's happening now, ever wondered why we are here? lol..

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
in singapore the level of accountability is inversely proportional to the level of seniority..

the more senior you are, the less accountable you are..:biggrin:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal

jw5,

Given both our ages, I am not too sure if we will be able to see this happen. If we can get significantly more of true people's representation in parliament in 2011, I will be more than just be delighted.

I believe any change in mindset must first come from a change in the way we are governed and the current leaders are far off the mark (and going further away) in looking after its own citizens.

Tee Kee is more optimistic than I by saying that it is happening now. Call me a pessimist but I still think it is still a long road ahead for Singapore and Singaporeans. I see those in power acting with impunity in whatever they feel is best for themselves and smother those who stand up to seek their rights of a citizen.

jw5

Loyal
jw5,

Given both our ages, I am not too sure if we will be able to see this happen. If we can get significantly more of true people's representation in parliament in 2011, I will be more than just be delighted.

I believe any change in mindset must first come from a change in the way we are governed and the current leaders are far off the mark (and going further away) in looking after its own citizens.

Tee Kee is more optimistic than I by saying that it is happening now. Call me a pessimist but I still think it is still a long road ahead for Singapore and Singaporeans. I see those in power acting with impunity in whatever they feel is best for themselves and smother those who stand up to seek their rights of a citizen.
To be fair, I think that those in power to a large extent, do what they really think is best for the country. But in doing so, they also ensure that they themselves are well looked after and that the majority of the people in the country benefit in the long run. The problem is that there are people who are currently suffering and don't give a shit about the long run, and there is a tier of society that continues to suffer because they are not given enough special attention and help.
That is where the problem lies in my opinion, the country is being run like a corporation and not like a country. Doesn't mean they have to give welfare to everyone, but it's also not right to only ensure long term profitability and top management compensation, without considering the really poor and weak.

In my opinion, the way to alleviate this if SG have a few good men (alternative men) waiting in the wings, who are able and willing to step forward to serve the nation and in so doing, perhaps go against the ruling party and its powerful members.
My questions:
Who and where are these people?
Do they even exist?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rather than allowing individual politicians, businessmen, bankers or bank employees, retailers or their retail employees, regulators, civil servants, etc to hide behind their corporation, organization, team or simply behind a wall which we cannot see beyond, is it about time that our society pinpointed individuals who have failed in their duties and demanded that these individuals be taken to task for their actions or inactions?
Instead of just accepting the organization explanation or even apology and letting the individual hide behind the corporate wall?

173774803_4f6d35a098_o.jpg

Hide your see lung tao lah! We call this COLLECTIVE LEADERSHIP, OK? We did not get paid for nothing, OK? *hee*hee*