• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM still dont get it.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who cares about politics. IT IS NS THAT IS KILLING SG.

========================
By Lee Siew Hua, Senior Political Correspondent

'As long as I am fit and alert, I will help consolidate Singapore's future,' MM Lee said. -- ST PHOTO: JOYCE FANG
MINISTER Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, who is turning 85, says he will fortify Singapore's future as long as he can.

In an e-mail response to questions from The Straits Times ahead of his birthday on Tuesday, he adhered to his lifelong focus on Singapore's well-being when asked what ranked as most important items at his age.

'As long as I am fit and alert, I will help consolidate Singapore's future,' he replied.

In that light, he spoke of two imperatives: Singapore's political system must evolve. And the country must stand up to external stresses.

'Our political system has to evolve to be in sync with the changes in the world, and in our society,' he said.

This, too, has been a principal concern of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. In his National Day Rally speech on Aug 17, he discussed moves to 'liberalise our society' more.

The PM hinted that the ban on political films and outdoor demonstrations would be eased.

Subsequently, groups were allowed to demonstrate at Speakers' Corner from Sept 1. Issues of race and religion, however, remain out of bounds.

MM Lee, in his birthday interview, was similarly mindful of these sensitivities.

'Our people are better educated, but they need to be aware that the fault lines in our multiracial society are unlikely to ever fuse,' he pointed out.

As he had done since independence, he kept his eye on social cohesion, saying Singapore has to avoid courses of action that could endanger such cohesion.

From political evolution at home, he turned to Singapore's vulnerable position in the world. 'Our size and location make us vulnerable to external pressure,' he said. 'Hence we have to be strong enough to quietly stand our ground.'

What Singapore must also do: Re-position itself to ride East Asia's transformation.

'It is the world's fastest growing region. By the second half of this century, there will be a different world order.'

Big powers will have to accommodate China and India, he said, which are on track to be high-growth giants.

On a personal note, he spoke of how he faced ageing and stayed in fine shape.

He cycles and swims daily. He also eats moderately, enjoys his work and sleeps well at night.

On how Singaporeans can rethink ageing, in a society where people aged 65 and older will double to 20 per cent in 2020, he took a no-nonsense approach: 'If you believe you are old and walk around as if you are nursing a weak heart, you will go rapidly downhill.'

He dismissed the perception that his personality may have mellowed with age. Neither have his key relationships changed.

'I am unlikely to change my mind about friends I know well for a long time.'

But he has encountered physical changes, though stress is lower now.

'As I grow older, my adrenaline and other glands are no longer as powerful.'

MM Lee, who handed the job of Prime Minister to Mr Goh Chok Tong in November 1990, added: 'I am no longer in charge of day-to-day decisions and the stress and strains of office are considerably less.'

[email protected]