• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should the RSAF Chopper Pilot be fired?

sally

Alfrescian
Loyal
Flying an aircraft is a complex task requiring the pilot to carry out multiple actions at the same time. In this particular instance, the pilot over-focused on one action which rapidly resulted in the crash.

It looks like this pilot does not have the aptitude to be a pilot. Should he be removed from flying duties and be given a desk job.

Here he is overly-focused on correcting the swing of the aircraft and failed to simultaneously increase its power. Can you imagine what would happen in a war zone? He would be distracted by all the shootings and would failed to perform the multiple actions required from a pilot.

Crash-landing of RSAF chopper a pilot error

THE crash landing of a Super Puma helicopter at Sembawang Air Base on May 21 was due to an error made during take-off by the pilot in control.
The junior pilot was on a training flight.

The trouble began when the Republic of Singapore Air Force helicopter lifted off and its nose swung to the left.

Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean, who provided an account of what happened, said investigators found that the pilot became overly-focused on correcting the swing of the aircraft and did not simultaneously increase its power.

This caused the helicopter to lose height, hit the ground and roll over, he said in a written reply to Ms Indranee Rajah (Tanjong Pagar), who asked about the outcome of investigations into the crash in Parliament on Monday.

Under such circumstances, the senior pilot supervising him was not able to take over control of the aircraft.

Flying an aircraft is a complex task requiring the pilot to carry out multiple actions at the same time. In this particular instance, the pilot over-focused on one action which rapidly resulted in the crash, said Mr Teo.

The pilot has since resumed flight training after being put through simulator training and check-flights by instructor pilots.

Other junior pilots have also received more supervision and simulator training, added Mr Teo.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_260280.html?vgnmr=1

Last edited:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's too mean.. From chopper pilot to bus driver! The pilot no face commit suicide how :eek: ?

Yeah... but nothing below chopper leow leh... If still insist on flying hor... 1 step down will be flying kite lor...:biggrin::p

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pilot has since resumed flight training after being put through simulator training and check-flights by instructor pilots.

Lucky fellow. The SQ pilot got fired for crashing his plane in Taiwan.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
in the typical scenario; if a SAF driver encounters rd accident, BOI raise to see who's at fault, meanwhile, the driver has 1 foot inside SAFDB liao.

in this case, RSAF SP chopper crashed... how much $$$ worth of damages is that? the pilot's gratuity, may not be worth as much as the chopper. he should serve a sentence in SAFDB taking reference from driver's detention sentence as precidence... n multiplied by the value of damages.

after all, pilot's pay is also many folds higher than the SAF drivers. nothing wrong for his sentence to be pro-rated against the difference as well.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Flying is a lot more complicated than driving leh... cannot compare the two lah. Besides, people trainee only so even if blame, instructor also must kana loh.
http://singaporeboysg.blogspot.com/
stats have proven, the chances for accident on the roads r alot higher than in the air or in the open sea leh.

accident on the rds r a result of human, error, sometimes mechanical error. likewise for air/seacraft, same issue. the RSS courageous langah, due to human error for contravening sea traffic rules....

now, the RSAF SP crashed was due to human error.... i dont see any reason y the pilot & instructor can walk outta this matter, clean as a whistle. the damages alone is quite hefty. unless they can afford to compensate the damages... i think the next option is for them to get a taste of; 48days all expenses paid for holiday getway at kranji chalet - SAFDB.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
That pilot forgot what is multi-tasking.
to my understanding, all pilots start from planes.... only for those experienced enough would be given a choice to pilot the chopper. hence, this trainee pilot i pressume is not some chicken feet RSAF OCT... he's probably a junior commissioned officer already. no excuses for his blunder.... i say.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE crash landing of a Super Puma helicopter at Sembawang Air Base on May 21 was due to an error made during take-off by the pilot in control.

How did this incompetent kid get selected to be a pilot in the first place :wink:?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
to my understanding, all pilots start from planes.... only for those experienced enough would be given a choice to pilot the chopper. hence, this trainee pilot i pressume is not some chicken feet RSAF OCT... he's probably a junior commissioned officer already. no excuses for his blunder.... i say.

I think u r wrong, after basic or advance flight, the better trainees go on to train in fighters, then the ok trainee go multi engine, ie C130 or KC135 while the bottom of the rug go on to chopper. Saw this when i was a kid on TV drama made by SBC on RSAF donkey years ago. hehe....:cool:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think u r wrong, after basic or advance flight, the better trainees go on to train in fighters, then the ok trainee go multi engine, ie C130 or KC135 while the bottom of the rug go on to chopper. Saw this when i was a kid on TV drama made by SBC on RSAF donkey years ago. hehe....:cool:
strange, from my understanding from frens in the force, they claim that choppers arent as easy to manouver as other aircrafts, n will require better judgement to handle.

the elites no doubt will become fighters, while the cream of the crop will also be selected as trainers & test pilots. while the mediocre ones will be multi engines (incl choppers). there'd be a small fraction that go into the logistics n supporting aircrafts (incl choppers).

bt definately not chicken crap that will be banished to pilot choppers. if the pilot is CMI... chances r, he's already be terminated.