• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Table Tennis (China versus Singapore)

westsv

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure many of us watched finals that took place last night. For those who didn't, where were you?!! You missed history in the making where tiny Singapore took on Mightly China. The result was expected with China winning 3-0 but history was made last night.

However, i did not feel proud to be Singaporean last night. To me, it was more like China A team versus China B. Did we really win a medal or did we buy it? I would have liked to have real Singaporeans that were born and bred here in Singapore to have played out last night's table tennis finals.

Hiring a foreign coach is one thing but hiring a complete team of foreigners to represent Singapore is another thing altogether. Somehow it just did not feel right. Who knows, maybe in the next olympic games, we could have a long distance marathon team from Kenya represening Singapore and winning the gold medal for Singapore. Food for thought here.

It's one thing to hire foreign talent to play at the club level but it is something else when it comes to representing your country. Can you imagine England hiring an all brazilian team to play and represent England in the soccer world cup? There would be outcry.

Wonder if anyone feels this way or it is just me?

westsv

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure many of us watched finals that took place last night. For those who didn't, where were you?!! You missed history in the making where tiny Singapore took on Mightly China. The result was expected with China winning 3-0 but history was made last night.

However, i did not feel proud to be Singaporean last night. To me, it was more like China A team versus China B. Did we really win a medal or did we buy it? I would have liked to have real Singaporeans that were born and bred here in Singapore to have played out last night's table tennis finals.

Hiring a foreign coach is one thing but hiring a complete team of foreigners to represent Singapore is another thing altogether. Somehow it just did not feel right. Who knows, maybe in the next olympic games, we could have a long distance marathon team from Kenya represening Singapore and winning the gold medal for Singapore. Food for thought here.

It's one thing to hire foreign talent to play at the club level but it is something else when it comes to representing your country. Can you imagine England hiring an all brazilian team to play and represent England in the soccer world cup? There would be outcry.

Wonder if anyone feels this way or it is just me?

westsv

I pretty much share the same views as you. I didn't feel anything towards the S'pore team also. I skipped the game as well, I can't fake passion. I hate this phony sh*t.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro lots of threads on this topic. basically no body wants a reject from china to represent s'pore

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own thoughts on this is that if, the person from another country wants to come to Singapore because he/she likes Singapore's way of life n' is willing to blend in to our multi racial community to truly be a Singaporean, then i'm all for them representing our country.

westsv

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for pointing that out. Guess there are a lot of people that feel the same way as i do. I don't think the issue is so much the factthat they are the rejects from China but rather it is the fact that they are representing Singapore. Our Govt may claim that they are Singaporean but come on! what are they trying to kid........

Even if we got our "Kenyan Gold Medal Marathon winning team", it does not change the fact that we bought the medal, we didn't win it. If we simply did not have the local talent, then we should focus on developing our local talents and not simply take a short cut and import way to success.

By all means, bring it the best coaches, the best techniques and the best equipment but please don't stifle the local talent here. If we don't give the locals a chance, how are we ever going to develop the local talent in Singapore.

Look at football, England can't field a decent starting 11 even though they invented the game. Do we really want to go down this path? or should we take a more enlightened path and say we will develop our own local talent even if we take an entire generation. There is no shortcut to success.

I want to be proud to be called a Singaporean. I felt a little ashamed last night

westsv

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
"自己是个北京人, 又是中国人。 我希望能在自己的本土, 自己的地盘上, 能够赢得一颗奖牌!" – 李佳薇

Translation:

"Being a Bejinger and a Chinese national, I wish I will win a medal on on my homeland and homeground "- LJW

Her heart and soul is still with China. Why Singaporean so proud of her?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal

It's obvious she does not want to achieve medal glory for the country ... but rather for her own sake.

She just wants to prove the Chinese table tennis authorities wrong for not making her a first team player.

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
"自己是个北京人, 又是中国人。 我希望能在自己的本土, 自己的地盘上, 能够赢得一颗奖牌!" – 李佳薇

Translation:

"Being a Bejinger and a Chinese national, I wish I will win a medal on on my homeland and homeground "- LJW

If she really said that, i feel sad, coz the fact is that she still prob thinks
China = Home
n'
Singapore = Sing$ = RMB X 5

Meaning, her heart is not with the born n' breed in singapore citizens :(

Last edited:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I pretty much share the same views as you. I didn't feel anything towards the S'pore team also. I skipped the game as well, I can't fake passion. I hate this phony sh*t.

Fully agreed with what you have just said, to me it's China Champion Team vs China Outsider Team, as a Sickapoorean I am not proud of them, they are not Sickapoorean, they are Chinamen, I mean PRC lady!!! nothing to be proud off, medal were bought with $$$$$$$ :eek::eek::mad::mad:

jbsmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
2c6f43df60d24d0648540324.jpg

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agreed that is China vs China...
Win liao also no pride... can;t even bother to support...

:biggrin:

tinyplanet

Alfrescian
Loyal
i did not feel proud to be Singaporean last night. To me, it was more like China A team versus China B. Did we really win a medal or did we buy it? I would have liked to have real Singaporeans that were born and bred here in Singapore to have played out last night's table tennis finals.

China A or China B, both teams are borned and breed in China ... one team remains while the other team comprises of quitters ...

The headlines reads " We won a silver medal ... " I say dun KNS, we did not win the medal, is bcos we lost the gold medal match and got to settle with the silver ...

I dun feel proud at all ... can Li Jiawei sings the marikita song and recite the pledge ?? ... and do you guys still remember the other ping pong lady who gave up on Singapore citizenship after she tann kao kao liao and return to her China kampong ... her hubby was later died in a car accident ... Soon one day Li Jiawei and gang will also leave this country after earning from the govt ...

Lentor

Alfrescian
Loyal
LJW is no diff from those whores stalking the geylangs lorongs, all are here for 1 purpose.
that is to make big money and LJW clearly had succeeded in making very big $.
her fortune is easily a hundred times over that of CHINA WORLD NO1 table tennis player.

kansas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Quite true. Why does Singapore need a medal so much?

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are 190+ countries taking part in Olympics and as of now, only 60+ countries had won a medal. 60% of countries look likely ending up without a medal of any color in this Olympics.

what's the big deal anyway.