• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AngMoh Lambast Chua Sis Arrogance & Naviety!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>The world doesn't dislike Singapore
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to last Saturday's commentary by Ms Chua Lee Hoong, 'Why they hate Singapore'. Singaporeans celebrated National Day last Saturday and deserve the world's congratulations.
Trying to describe why Western democracies may 'not like' Singapore is absurd and na�ve, and is probably based on a lack of general understanding and knowledge of how most of the Western world perceives Singapore today.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>Western perception
Trying to describe why Western democracies may 'not like' Singapore is absurd and na�ve and is probably based on a lack of general understanding and knowledge of how most of the Western world perceives Singapore today.

The world has other problems and people elsewhere simply do not care about having Singapore on their radar screen of dislike

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I was born in Belgium, lived in four European countries, the Middle East and Hong Kong.
I have worked and lived in Singapore for the past 10 years; my wife is Singaporean, and so are my two youngest children. Yes, Singapore is a very good place to live and work in, probably one of the best globally. Singapore is very well 'managed' and that's where its difference from many other countries lies. Singapore is not governed, but managed as a company with 4.7 million shareholders.
You have a vision and you have good managers who understand how to implement that vision and its strategies.
You hire the best to ensure you remain competitive and highly profitable in order to secure the future of your citizens.
Singapore's business model achieves its aim, and I am sure many of its achievements can be 're-packed' into potentially highly successful export products.
Success is the creation of balance, stability and prosperity between the managers, employees and shareholders or citizens. Western democracies, on the other hand, have their successes too.
Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Norway and Finland - as well as some Middle East countries - are all worth studying and emulating.
Putting China and Singapore on the same page because both are so-called authoritarian states is wrong. There is nothing common to both, except for the ethnic origin of the majority race.
China is a country of 1.3 billion, pushed into a highly regulated, market-driven economy at lightning speed, causing lots of collateral damage.
We all know what Singapore is. I am sure Chinese and Russians, and many other nationalities, visit Singapore to study and learn its best traits.
They also visit many other countries - as do Singaporeans- which do certain things better than the Republic.
It's na�ve, (or arrogant?), to think that the whole world visits only Singapore.
The meaning of the word, 'hate' should be carefully weighed before using it. There are two meanings to hate: intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury; or extreme dislike or antipathy.
I have travelled the world for the past 32 years. I have never encountered or heard a single person or group who hates Singapore - or even dislikes the Republic. At most, Singapore is criticised for banning 'chewing gum' and for its lack of freedom of speech.
Mostly, however, and especially among Westerners, Singapore is praised for being clean, affordable and secure, and for its wonderful food.
The world has other problems, and people elsewhere simply do not care about having Singapore on their radar screen of dislike.
Bruno Serrien

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>The world doesn't dislike Singapore
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

It's na�ve, (or arrogant?), to think that the whole world visits only Singapore.

The world has other problems, and people elsewhere simply do not care about having Singapore on their radar screen of dislike.
Bruno Serrien

I like these sentences!

omega

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trying to describe why Western democracies may 'not like' Singapore is absurd and na�ve, and is probably based on a lack of general understanding and knowledge of how most of the Western world perceives Singapore today.

Ms Chua, you lack of the vision and understanding of the real world :(

bluesky

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come criticise letter also published. Someone inside must have a great dislike for our Ms Chua. Haha.

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
this guy's an FT, of course from his view everything is rosy in this silly cuntry.

Actually, if you read between the lines he is actually been quite critical.

For example: "Singapore is not governed, but managed as a company with 4.7 million shareholders." In Western terms, this is NOT a compliment.

Also, since Chua was simply repeating what the Grand Old Man of Singapore said: ""There is a conspiracy to do us in," Lee told the Economic Society of Singapore. "Why? ... They see us as a threat." Bruno's reply could be seen as a criticism of MM Lee Himself!

He has to be subtle because I'm sure he doesn't want to lose his PR.

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come criticise letter also published. Someone inside must have a great dislike for our Ms Chua. Haha.

Expect to hear of some kind of carckdown at ST soon. Combine this letter with the very courageous stand taken by the young Malay lady journailst over the weekend and the Powers That Be cannot possibly be pleased.

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
"...The world has other problems, and people elsewhere simply do not care about having Singapore on their radar screen of dislike."

Well said.. ang mo Bruno Serrien.

She must have been one of those Singaporeans who fall victim of long period of indoctrination and are getting big-headed.

The ang mo's rebuttal certainly serves her right!

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
But honestly, many Sinkie elites have an overly inflated ego. The truth is the world does not care two hoots about us- that's assuming they even know who we are! And China definitely has nothing much to learn from us!

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
"...And China definitely has nothing much to learn from us!"

Ya.. Definitely! The sinkie elites used to say something to the effect that Singapore is a bridge that links China to the rest of the world.

My goodness! How arrogant and cocky..!

I want to tell them: China goes directly to the world and the world comes directly to China! The world and China do not care two hoots about the cock-talking sinkie elites. You can keep your bridge!!

Those grotesque sinkie elites are typical case of being "ye lang zi da".

Last edited: